Bob Headrick; ? on 7960

Old February 25th 05, 03:03 PM
ET

Default Bob Headrick; ? on 7960

Is there a preferred way to tell which of the three cartridges (#56,
57, or 58) would be at fault? When changing cartridges (refilled) and
the calibration printing is done, there may be a color(s) missing or
the color may be faint. Normally, I change both #57 & #58 at the same
time and end up swapping out several cartridges to find one printing
properly. Usually letting the cartridge sit in printer overnight (air
bubbles probably) cures problems but I still don't know which
cartridge was giving me the problem.
Thanks,
Old February 25th 05, 08:59 PM
SteveB

Does the 43-Tap method work on the 7960? This tests every jet on my 5550
which uses the same cartridges, each ink colour is printed in it's own small
area so that it's easy to spot u/s jets and which cartridge they belong to.
Hold the power button down while also pressing the Cancel button 4 times
followed by the Page Feed button 3 times then release the power button.

Old February 26th 05, 01:14 AM
ET

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 20:59:26 -0000, "SteveB"
sbrads@nildramDOTcoDOTuk wrote:

Does the 43-Tap method work on the 7960? This tests every jet on my 5550
which uses the same cartridges, each ink colour is printed in it's own small
area so that it's easy to spot u/s jets and which cartridge they belong to.
Hold the power button down while also pressing the Cancel button 4 times
followed by the Page Feed button 3 times then release the power button.

-----
Thanks, Steve. Where did you find this info? It is nowhere in my
manuals.
ET
Old February 26th 05, 03:13 AM
Bob Headrick

"ET" wrote in message
Is there a preferred way to tell which of the three cartridges (#56,
57, or 58) would be at fault?

You can take two of the cartridges out and print a test page with a single
cartridge at a time. That would let you figure out which has the problem.

- Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

Old February 26th 05, 08:10 AM
SteveB

I read about the 41-Tap (Dot counts, current and previous cartridge serial
numbers, total page count) somewhere a couple of years ago, I expect it was
leaked by some HP engineer, so I thought there's probably more 'secret' key
combinations and tried out a lot by trial and error. The 41 and 43-Tap
tests are the most useful I found as they're not reproducible by any other
means, other combinations just seemed to do things like cleaning. Does it
work on the 7960?

news

Old February 26th 05, 03:43 PM
ET

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 08:10:00 -0000, "SteveB"
sbrads@nildramDOTcoDOTuk wrote:

Does it
work on the 7960?

--------------
Sorry, Steve. I couldn't even feed a "Page Feed" button on the printer
so didn't try it. However, on the Menu (of the printer itself) there
was a Test Page printout option and this told me what I wanted to
know.
Thanks for your help.
ET
Old February 26th 05, 03:48 PM
ET

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 19:13:38 -0800, "Bob Headrick"
wrote:

"ET" wrote in message
.. .
Is there a preferred way to tell which of the three cartridges (#56,
57, or 58) would be at fault?

You can take two of the cartridges out and print a test page with a single
cartridge at a time. That would let you figure out which has the problem.

- Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

-----------
Thanks, Bob. I was going to go that route as the last resort. However,
in RTFM onscreen saw mention of Menu on the Printer, then finding
Print Test Page. This showed me exactly what I wanted to know. I had
done a Test Page printout from software and while it did print the
colors, didn't tell me what I wanted to know - such as which cartridge
was printing which color.

ET
Old February 26th 05, 04:53 PM
Bob Headrick

"SteveB" sbrads@nildramDOTcoDOTuk wrote in message
I read about the 41-Tap (Dot counts, current and previous cartridge serial
numbers, total page count) somewhere a couple of years ago, I expect it was
leaked by some HP engineer, so I thought there's probably more 'secret' key
combinations and tried out a lot by trial and error.

Many of the tap tests for various printers are documented at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...c=en&lang= en.
The tap sequences for the 900 series also work for the 5000 and 6000 series,
you might find the 84 tap diagnostic useful as well.

Regards,

Ink at $1228.95 (US) a liter: two questions to Bob Headrick GP Printers 20 January 9th 05 11:42 PM
Bob Headrick, a ? on 7960 ET Printers 4 December 29th 04 01:21 AM
Photo Print Speed HP 990c v HP PS 7960 Richard Robbins Printers 2 December 8th 03 05:01 PM
HP Photosmart 7960 vs. 7660 b/w image quality Lambert Dickmeis Printers 6 October 9th 03 07:22 PM
HP Photosmart 7960 vs. 7660 b/w image quality Lambert Dickmeis Printers 0 October 8th 03 04:35 PM