CPU Specs

Old March 19th 10, 09:47 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
[email protected]

Default CPU Specs

While looking at Intel i7 CPU's I see names like Bloomfield, Clarkdale,
Gulftown, Prescott. What do they mean, and what's the difference bewteen chips
with the different names? Thanks.
Old March 21st 10, 07:35 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Intel Guy

Nate Edel wrote:

While looking at Intel i7 CPU's I see names like Bloomfield,
Clarkdale, Gulftown, Prescott. What do they mean

Each of these is a the codename of the core used.

Speaking generally, would it be correct that these codenames refer to
different types of fabrication processes?

Ie 113 vs 90 vs 45 nm process widths?

Isin't every new fabrication or process-width-size given a new code
name?
Old March 21st 10, 08:59 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
ED

"Intel Guy" wrote in message
Nate Edel wrote:

While looking at Intel i7 CPU's I see names like Bloomfield,
Clarkdale, Gulftown, Prescott. What do they mean

Each of these is a the codename of the core used.

Speaking generally, would it be correct that these codenames refer to
different types of fabrication processes?

Not necessarilly.
Different code names could have the same fabrication process.

Ie 113 vs 90 vs 45 nm process widths?

Isin't every new fabrication or process-width-size given a new code
name?

Yes.

Everything is given a code name, i.e. Processor, Chipset, Boards, Server
Products, Networking

If you're interested in code names, see he
http://ark.intel.com/Default.aspx#codenames

Old March 22nd 10, 02:44 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
[email protected]

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 11:49:28 -0700, (Nate Edel) wrote:

wrote:
While looking at Intel i7 CPU's I see names like Bloomfield, Clarkdale,
Gulftown, Prescott. What do they mean, and what's the difference bewteen chips
with the different names? Thanks.

Each of these is a the codename of the core used. All of those you
mentioned are various versions of the i7, except for Prescott which was a
core used in one generation of Pentium 4, ca 2004 or so, and was pretty
terrible.

Short answer:
Lynnfield = i7 860/870 - quad core desktop, socket 1156 (also i5-750, with
hyperthreading disabled)
Bloomfield = i7 920/930/940/950/960/965/975 - quad core desktop, socket 1366
Gulftown = i7 980X - six-core desktop, socket 1366
Clarkdale = i5 650/660/661/670 - dual core destkop, socket 1156

Arrandale and Clarksfield are the corresponding Mobile processor codenames.

This page may be helpful:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...icroprocessors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...icroprocessors

Thanks. Interesting that it too four or five days for any replies to show up on
my reader, and the original post never did show up. Anyway, any opinions on the
i7 920 processor? I'll be upgrading from a P4-3.2Ghz in this old system when I
have the new one built. I'd go higher on the CPU but they're out of my price
range right now. And once I get the system built with the 920, will I be able to
swap out only the CPU at a later date if I decide to? Thanks again.
Old March 22nd 10, 03:55 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Bill Davidsen

(Nate Edel) wrote:

wrote:
[...]

The i7-930 is only $10 more, and slightly faster. But you are near the end of
that line, if you want to have expansion in the future go with another socket.
The i7-980 looks interesting, but I'm not sure if it will ever be available,
since the 980X (unlocked multiplier) version is getting all the attention.
Old April 14th 10, 12:28 PM
JohnKSmith JohnKSmith is offline
Junior Member

Hey Guys,
Its an excellent thread.
Designed to provide performance measurements that can be used to compare compute-intensive workloads on different computer systems, SPEC CPU2006 contains two benchmark suites
Oxygen Plant | Oxygen Plants

my specs ~misfit~[_10_] General 0 April 14th 09 01:07 AM
PC Specs Mark[_12_] Nvidia Videocards 1 December 10th 07 09:13 PM
PSU ATX 2.2 vs PCI E 2.0 specs jcazz Asus Motherboards 1 September 27th 07 11:33 PM
Specs on P5B MB Dewayne Thomas Asus Motherboards 1 January 24th 07 02:22 AM
HD Specs? bealoid Storage (alternative) 4 October 25th 06 07:13 AM