Older overclocking question

Old October 10th 05, 03:55 AM

Default Older overclocking question

Hi everyone,
I've posted here a few times, but I have a question about reliable over
clocking...."IF" thats possible.
I spent money on decent stuff.... for the possibility of overclocking after
reading alot of reviews on the parts... here goes....
I have an athlon XP2500
coolmaster cpu heat sink and fan
MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR MSI's best overclocking mobo
ATI Radeon 9800 pro
1gb dual channel pc3200
Antec 450 pwr supply
7 case fans including the 2 in the pwr supply
I've had limited success overclocking it to 1920 or so.... but, "supposedly"
I can get it to 2.3 without water or 2.8 with water.... but, after running
some benchmarks aquamark3 and 3dmark I get less performance than if I use
nvidia's Ntune which adjusts everything to 1920
Does anyone have a similar rig at higher settings, with better success?
I have heard that you can run the 2500 at a 200mhz fsb but then all I've
read in my mags is 175-178mhz tops...
Oh, btw, in BF2 I do get decent frame rates, 30-55 depending on what I'm at,
and whats going on on screen. but for the most part it runs decent.... just
want to know if theres anyone that has clocked it better, faster...... Oh,
and do you have to unlock the processor to make adjustments? Or just use the
adjustments in the bios?for the MSI board?
I'd like to upgrade to a 64 bit/PCI express system, and have found a few
prespective components,but, I'm waiting for the water to settle, too many
new components right now, and wanna see what sticks and what fades away....
especially concidering now they have added duel core proccessors as
well....lol
Well, anyone that can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated... Thanks

Jackyl

Old October 10th 05, 08:37 AM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 02:55:23 +0000, jedmister1 wrote:

I spent money on decent stuff.... for the possibility of overclocking
after reading alot of reviews on the parts... here goes.... I have an
athlon XP2500
coolmaster cpu heat sink and fan
MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR MSI's best overclocking mobo ATI Radeon 9800 pro
1gb dual channel pc3200
Antec 450 pwr supply
7 case fans including the 2 in the pwr supply I've had limited success
overclocking it to 1920 or so.... but, "supposedly" I can get it to 2.3

Your best bet with this cpu is to set the FSB to 200MHZz. That will give
you 2.2GHz (11x200). If you don't have PC3200 or faster ram, then you need
to adjust the ram bus speed accorcingly. And you also may need to raise
vcore up to 1.75v for stability. tesing it all will tell.

Old October 10th 05, 01:42 PM
gringo

Mine will only do 190mhz - 200mhz doesn't work with my chip. 196 I can take
it up to, but don't like it running that close to the edge. I've tried
voltage tweaks - didn't help any.

newsan.2005.10.10.07.37.57.586420@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

Old October 10th 05, 03:15 PM
Donny Broome

Jackyl:

Take a look at my specs he
http://www.broomeman.com/athlonxp/

Donny Broome
donny AT broomeman DOT com
Kill Spyware! Visit:
http://www.broomeman.com/spyware/

Old October 10th 05, 05:49 PM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 12:42:50 +0000, gringo wrote:

Mine will only do 190mhz - 200mhz doesn't work with my chip. 196 I can
take it up to, but don't like it running that close to the edge. I've
tried voltage tweaks - didn't help any.

The problem is probably not the cpu, but another aspect of your system. I
can get the FSB up to 215MHz on my system using an unlocked 2100+. The
reason it won't go higher is not the cpu. Changing the FSB also affects
the ram bus speed and the PCI/AGP bus speeds on chispets that don't have a
PCI lock.

Old October 10th 05, 11:16 PM
gringo

Using Shuttle SN45G revision2 - DDR 400 memory - at 200mhz pci/agp run at
correct speeds - at 190 they are underclocked. I've tried lots of stuff with
this to get 200mhz, but never successful, won't even boot at that speed.

newsan.2005.10.10.16.49.35.213489@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

Old October 11th 05, 09:09 AM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 22:16:18 +0000, gringo wrote:

Using Shuttle SN45G revision2 - DDR 400 memory - at 200mhz pci/agp run at
correct speeds - at 190 they are underclocked. I've tried lots of stuff
with this to get 200mhz, but never successful, won't even boot at that
speed.

I can only guess at the problem, but usually it has to do with the ram
settings.

Old October 12th 05, 01:16 AM

Ok,
I tried 200mhz. system booted fine but I got an error saying that there was
a 40 pin hdd cable disconnected on IDE channel 1 bla bla bla..... cant
remember the exact error message lol
I tried messing around with different various settings. I got the system to
boot around 194 I think it was but error message was still there no hang
but, system performance was greatly deteriorated. I'm thinking maybe I'm
better off just either buying an XP3000-XP3200 or, going with an ARock MB
with both AGP and PCI-E and slowly upgrading. I dont get it....... sigh I
know that each chip is exclusive and some go farther than others some
do/some dont..... guess I just got one that doesn't.....

Old October 17th 05, 05:08 PM
sKrzeK

Default Older overclocking question (XP 2500+)

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.10.10.16.49.35.213489@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 12:42:50 +0000, gringo wrote:

Mine will only do 190mhz - 200mhz doesn't work with my chip. 196 I can
take it up to, but don't like it running that close to the edge. I've
tried voltage tweaks - didn't help any.

mine athlon 2500 run at 200mhz (3200+) and everthing is ok,
the same is with fsb 210mhz x 11= 2310mhz (without overvoltage)
But I can't change my ratio from 11x.
I'm using GA-7N400-L (nForce2), Geil 512mb pc3200 and Thermaltake Volcano
11+ (3000rpm ~55*C)

--==sKrzeK==--

Old October 18th 05, 07:09 PM

Thats wierd, I was beginning to think that maybe my memory was to blame, I
have 2 512 Geil pc3200 chips also.
Hmmmm, I dunno, I still cant get up to 200. 185-194, but, when I play BF2,
it reboots after a while...
at 196-200mhz windows starts loading, but reboots. I've tried raising my
voltage up to 1.725 and 1.75 but it still wont boot.
I jump right into the bios and check my temps, and then check with PCAlert
also, all temps are fine, 139-150 degrees usually. Although, thats one thing
I hate about ATI cards, theres no way of knowing what my video card temp is,
perhaps its overheating and causing it. no, I dont overclock the AGP slot
or bump the voltage up
I may get one of those pci slot exhaust fans and put it under my video card,
just for gits and shiggles at the very least it will allow me to keep my
video card, and sound card 2 slots below a little cooler.