no black printing - pixma mp 780

Old May 8th 06, 12:34 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Default no black printing - pixma mp 780

Hi all,

I just installed a BcI-3eBK cartridge. The slot had been empty a
couple of days. There is no ink coming through. I tried deep cleaning
a couple of times, but it doesn't seem it did anything. Any ideas how
to get this printing again? Thanks.

Old May 8th 06, 12:56 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

farm girl wrote:
Hi all,

I just installed a BcI-3eBK cartridge. The slot had been empty a
couple of days. There is no ink coming through. I tried deep cleaning
a couple of times, but it doesn't seem it did anything. Any ideas how
to get this printing again? Thanks.

Leaving the slot empty allows the ink to dry in the print head. This is
not a good thing. You will probably need to do several deep cleaning
cycles to try and loosen/dissolve the dried ink. If that doesn't work
then a good soak in a solvent (I have used Windex in the past) might do
the trick. As a last resort you can buy a new print head for about $65
which is cheaper than replacing the unit.

If the cartridge is empty leave it in the slot until you are able to
replace it immediately upon removal. Unfortunately, it doesn't take
much to clog up a print head.
Old May 8th 06, 03:59 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in message
farm girl wrote:
Hi all,

I just installed a BcI-3eBK cartridge. The slot had been empty a
couple of days. There is no ink coming through. I tried deep cleaning
a couple of times, but it doesn't seem it did anything. Any ideas how
to get this printing again? Thanks.

Leaving the slot empty allows the ink to dry in the print head. This is
not a good thing. You will probably need to do several deep cleaning
cycles to try and loosen/dissolve the dried ink. If that doesn't work
then a good soak in a solvent (I have used Windex in the past) might do
the trick. As a last resort you can buy a new print head for about $65
which is cheaper than replacing the unit.

If the cartridge is empty leave it in the slot until you are able to
replace it immediately upon removal. Unfortunately, it doesn't take much
to clog up a print head.

The bci-3ebk ink nozzles are the most vulnerable in these printers as the
ink is less soluble than those in the bci-6 carts. Michael is correct that
you never leave a cart out of the printhead. Go onto the Nifty-Stuff forum
site, sign in, click the FAQ link, and read the first topic about the
printer not printing properly. Don't bother with any more deep cleaning
cycles at this point. The Nifty thread is a long one, but it is worthwhile
reading through the whole thing to get a sense of what you can do and in
what sequence.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/

Old May 10th 06, 12:48 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

"farm girl" wrote in news:1147044876.940193.156550
@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

Hi all,

I just installed a BcI-3eBK cartridge. The slot had been empty a
couple of days. There is no ink coming through. I tried deep cleaning
a couple of times, but it doesn't seem it did anything. Any ideas how
to get this printing again? Thanks.

Was it just sitting empty, or were you using it with no cart? If the
latter, you may have blown the head. Otherwise, it could be clogged, and
manual head claning is required. I prefer to use steam.
Old May 10th 06, 02:20 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

you should not ask anyone in this ng for advice like this. canonusa has
very good support. you should call canon tech support and discuss the
situation with them. if the printhead is bad you may get lucky and they
may send you one at no charge. it has happened before.

and be sure that you always use canon ink from now one. you have an
unwise multifunction device. if you had a separate Epson scanner and
Canon printer you could replace the entire printer on sale for a little
more than a set of carts.

:

Old May 10th 06, 03:33 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

I just installed a BcI-3eBK cartridge. The slot had been empty a
couple of days. There is no ink coming through. I tried deep cleaning
a couple of times, but it doesn't seem it did anything. Any ideas how
to get this printing again? Thanks.

Measekite in this case has the best advice... talk with canon. It's
not that the people in this group are full of hot air, most are
thoughtful, inteligent, smart do-it-your self types who will go out of
their way to help people resolve issues. Canon gives out printheads
like hotcakes if you are under the warranty period and even sometimes
beyond. And odds are even if you are honest with them you'll probally
get one shipped 2nd day air. It's the least work, and most likely to
be a surefire solution.

If you are outside your warranty period, this is nothing that $80 bucks
can't solve, $60 on a good day. But there are some more advanced
cleaning techniques we can get into if that is your desire.... like one
involving index, 4 folds of toilet paper, and pushing downwards slowly
and pulling till the clog is dislodged. But this is not a surefire
solution as printheads are like lightbulbs and they do eventually burn
out. Talking with canon is likely to get your issue resolved.

Old May 10th 06, 04:05 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

measekite wrote:

if the printhead is bad you may get lucky and they
may send you one at no charge. it has happened before.

Exactly right - for once - Measeboy! Way to go!!! I too had a bum Canon
printhead, failed soon after a month. Actually the paperfeed failed too,
same time. A bum printer/printhead combo it was. Got the whole printer
and printhead replaced and the replacements are both still working
wonderfully 15 months later. And still using only compatible inks, of
course. Always have, always will. Never give up a good thing!!!

-Taliesyn
Old May 10th 06, 06:06 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Taliesyn wrote:

measekite wrote:

what I said was
do not listen to the people in this ng and call canonusa. if the
printhead is bad you may get lucky and they may send you one at no
charge. it has happened before.

Exactly right - for once - Measeboy! Way to go!!! I too had a bum Canon
printhead, failed soon after a month.

too bad it was clogged with generic ink

Actually the paperfeed failed too,
same time. A bum printer/printhead combo it was.

due to clogging from generic ink

Got the whole printer
and printhead replaced and the replacements are both still working
wonderfully 15 months later. And still using only compatible inks

no such thing as the meaningless word compatible. but you are using
generic ink that was not engineered and designed with the printer to
work as a system.

Old May 10th 06, 06:08 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Taliesyn wrote:

measekite wrote:

the full text

you should not ask anyone in this ng for advice like this. canonusa has
very good support. you should call canon tech support and discuss the
situation with them. if the printhead is bad you may get lucky and they
may send you one at no charge. it has happened before.

and be sure that you always use canon ink from now on. you have an
unwise multifunction device. if you had a separate Epson scanner and
Canon printer you could replace the entire printer on sale for a little
more than a set of carts.

if the printhead is bad you may get lucky and they may send you one
at no charge. it has happened before.

Exactly right -

snip due to request

-Taliesyn

Old May 10th 06, 02:52 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

measekite wrote:

You have an unwise multifunction device.

You're kidding me, no?

I actually never bothered checking out the intelligence of my printers.
But come to think of it, I do think mine are all pretty darn smart and
wise. They turn on by themselves, they spit out paper sometimes when it
don't feed right, they tell me when to feed them more ink ("more,
please!", and when the print jobs are done, they turn themselves off. I
think they're "purty smart", myself. Shame on you for putting down a
helpless little printer and calling it names: "unwise multifunction
device". Mine have names: "Big Mac" (iP5000), "Little Joe" (iP4000), and
"Forget-Me-Not" (i860). Treat your printers with respect, and above all,
Don't call them disrespective names like "device". Arggghhhh, that's
disgusting! Block your ears, Big Mac and Little Joe!

-Taliesyn (have a great print day, everyone, I'm outta here!)