AIW Radeon 9800 Pro - System won't bootup with power supply connected...

Old October 4th 03, 02:43 AM
Tim

Default AIW Radeon 9800 Pro - System won't bootup with power supply connected...

This is for a friend, and I'm stumped...

Motherboard: MSI K7N2 Delta, Chipset is nForce2 Ultra
CPU: Athlon XP 2700+
Video Card: ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 9800 Pro, 8X AGP 128MB

When he has his power supply connected to the AIW board, and powers up the
system, it turns on and a split second later, it shuts the system off. When he
disconnects the power cable from the AIW card, and boots up, it boots up just
fine, and then he connects the power supply to it and it works just fine. He
had a 300Watt power supply, and thought maybe it was too low, so bought a 350W
and it still does the same thing.

Does anyone have any ideas of what he should check? We're both at a loss...

Old October 4th 03, 03:18 AM
DaveW

I'm wondering if it is a 'cheap' 350 Watt power supply, that when under
load, such as also driving the 9800, can't actually provide a 'real' 350
watts. Try using a high quality power supply, such as Antec, and see if
that fixes it. (It also matters as to how many other drives, etc. he is
running in the case simultaneously.)

--
DaveW

Old October 4th 03, 03:39 AM
Tim

Thanks for responding!

Well the thing is, even with his new one he got today, and same goes for his old
one, he unplugged power to his hard drive and cd-rom drive (he has no floppy
drive), and the system still did it. So, the video card was the only thing in
the system that was drawing the extra power. SURELY in that case, it would have
supplied enough power....

. net...

Old October 4th 03, 03:45 AM
Tim

Oh, I failed to mention that it is indeed an Antec

http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details...p?ProdID=25352

That is the one he purchased.

Thanks again

Tim

"Tim" wrote in message
Thanks for responding!

Well the thing is, even with his new one he got today, and same goes for his

old
one, he unplugged power to his hard drive and cd-rom drive (he has no floppy
drive), and the system still did it. So, the video card was the only thing in
the system that was drawing the extra power. SURELY in that case, it would

have
supplied enough power....

. net...

Old October 4th 03, 05:03 AM
JB

"Tim" wrote in message
This is for a friend, and I'm stumped...

Motherboard: MSI K7N2 Delta, Chipset is nForce2 Ultra
CPU: Athlon XP 2700+
Video Card: ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 9800 Pro, 8X AGP 128MB

When he has his power supply connected to the AIW board, and powers up the
system, it turns on and a split second later, it shuts the system off.

When he
disconnects the power cable from the AIW card, and boots up, it boots up

just
fine, and then he connects the power supply to it and it works just fine.

He
had a 300Watt power supply, and thought maybe it was too low, so bought a

350W
and it still does the same thing.

Does anyone have any ideas of what he should check? We're both at a

loss...

I am not familiar with that motherboard but recommend you verify that AGP
voltage jumper settings are correct.

Old October 4th 03, 05:43 AM
Tim

Yup, it supports 4x/8x AGP with 1.5v....... compliant with the AGP 3.0
specifications. And, of course, this card is an 8x AGP card working with both 8x
AGP and AGP PRO slots...

I have the exact same card in my ASUS P4C800-E and my Pentium-4 3GHz But, I
haven't had that problem. I have a lot more than he does in my system and have
the same power supply too (1 DVD-ROM, 1 DVD-RW, 1 CD-RW, 1 CD-ROM, 2 hard
drives, 4 fans, floppy drive, and more)

Old October 4th 03, 06:06 AM
GTD

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 04:43:29 GMT, "Tim" wrote:

Yup, it supports 4x/8x AGP with 1.5v....... compliant with the AGP 3.0
specifications. And, of course, this card is an 8x AGP card working with both 8x
AGP and AGP PRO slots...

I have the exact same card in my ASUS P4C800-E and my Pentium-4 3GHz But, I
haven't had that problem. I have a lot more than he does in my system and have
the same power supply too (1 DVD-ROM, 1 DVD-RW, 1 CD-RW, 1 CD-ROM, 2 hard
drives, 4 fans, floppy drive, and more)

Did you try swapping your cards? (put your card in his system, and his
card in your system). May rule out (or in) a defective card. Check
bios updates also for his motherboard.
Old October 4th 03, 06:09 AM
Tim

Thanks....... believe me, if I lived closer, I'd be doing this. This is a
friend that is a little ways from me......

Just trying to make sure we've covered all the bases untill he requests an RMA
From the place he bought it from.........

He did flash the latest bios for it to no avail.... :'(

Old October 4th 03, 07:22 AM
Tim

He let one of his friend takes it to his house and test it in his PC........ it
works. So, it has to be the motherboard. Kinda sad though, he just bought that
motherboard today! ........
"Tim" wrote in message
Thanks....... believe me, if I lived closer, I'd be doing this. This is a
friend that is a little ways from me......

Just trying to make sure we've covered all the bases untill he requests an RMA
From the place he bought it from.........

Old October 4th 03, 05:30 PM
GTD

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 06:22:34 GMT, "Tim" wrote:

He let one of his friend takes it to his house and test it in his PC........ it
works. So, it has to be the motherboard. Kinda sad though, he just bought that
motherboard today! ........

Yea, that's a bummer. I don't know how new that motherboard is, but
I'd look around and see if anyone else has that same problem, and see
if a bios fix is expected.