Can I make my own Transparency Adapter for a Scanner?

Old December 14th 09, 11:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.graphics.misc
Chris Shearer Cooper[_2_]

Default Can I make my own Transparency Adapter for a Scanner?

I inherited several hundred old negatives, they are some funky format,
about 2 1/2 inches by 4 3/8 inches. I looked into having a commercial
service scan them, but they want $2 per negative.

Epson has a scanner (the Perfection V300) that has a negative adapter,
I can pick one up for about $60 (actually Santa can pick one up,
Santa's been bugging me to put something under $400 on my Christmas
list), the problem of course is that their negative adapter only works
with 35mm film.

The folks at Epson thought I could easily create my own template so
that the scanner could scan these negatives. I have had a variety of
scanners in my life, so I'm quite familiar with them, but have never
owned one that could scan negatives, so I don't know if the advice
from Epson is actually correct.

On newegg.com, folks who are using this scanner on 35mm negatives are
pleased with the quality; it does 4800 dpi optical resolution and they
claim 48 bit depth. Yes, I know that for $60 I'm not going to get the
quality of an $800 scanner, but I simply can't afford that much
quality grin. And, if I find any negatives that are absolutely
stunning, I can take those for a more professional treatment.

Does anyone have an Epson Perfection V300, and can comment on whether
they think I could modify it to scan my negatives? Maybe general
comments about what the setup is - how do low-end scanners scan
negatives?

I'm thinking that if it's just a matter of (gently) dropping the
negative onto the flatbed and scanning the sucker, I can do that. But
if it's something where the negative has to be held at a precise
distance above the flatbed (or whatever), then the odds of me being
able to create my own precise template diminish greatly.

Thanks!
Chris
Old December 15th 09, 11:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Gettamulla Tupya

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 15:38:57 -0800 (PST), Chris Shearer Cooper
wrote:

[...]

Won't work. For negs and slides the light source is in the lid, not underneath.

Old December 15th 09, 01:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Chris Shearer Cooper[_2_]

Sorry, you lost me somewhere. The scanner I mentioned (Epson
Perfection V300) is set up to scan 35mm negatives, so whatever voodoo
is required to scan negatives (light source in lid) must be there,
yes?

Are you indicating that in addition to having the light source in the
lid, the negatives get loaded into some different place (rather than
just laying them on the flatbed surface)? And that therefore I would
not be able to modify it so my large format negatives fit?

Thanks,
Chris
Old February 11th 10, 04:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.graphics.misc
Mickey[_2_]

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 15:38:57 -0800, Chris Shearer Cooper
wrote:

[...]

Know this is dated but here is what I know.

If the scanner you are talking about is anything like my Perfection 1660,
this scanner will not work for you. It has a limited area (35mm) that
works for negs/transparencies. Additionally they are set up to recognize
either film or slides on a specific spacing.

Recently spoke with Epson and they said their V700 model could handle full
bed negs/transparencies. Don't know personally but that is what I was
told.

Mickey

Old February 26th 10, 01:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.graphics.misc
Woofdog

news
wrote:

[...]

Yes, the lightsource if full width in the lid, and full lengh. I have one
and regularly scan medium format film, slides and strip. Also, you can
actually just place the negs/film on the glass,.

Eddie

Mickey