boot stops at 5A

Old July 10th 06, 01:12 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
[email protected]

Default boot stops at 5A

Hi I've Intel D945GNT classic motherboard with Intel P4 3.0 Ghz HT
processor,

I've problems while booting the machine..

It stops at the fist screen, with intel logo and displays one line with
"F2 for settings 5A"

sometimes it proceeds but again stops just displaying 5A on black
screen..

I'm unable to figure out problem because it can't boot

where should i look for solution

thanks in advance
ark

Old July 12th 06, 10:54 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Trent

On 11 Jul 2006 09:21:22 -0700 wrote in Message id:
om:

Trent wrote:
On 10 Jul 2006 05:12:16 -0700
wrote in Message id:
om:

Hi I've Intel D945GNT classic motherboard with Intel P4 3.0 Ghz HT
processor,

I've problems while booting the machine..

It stops at the fist screen, with intel logo and displays one line with
"F2 for settings 5A"

sometimes it proceeds but again stops just displaying 5A on black
screen..

I'm unable to figure out problem because it can't boot

where should i look for solution

Code 5A is "Resetting PATA/SATA bus and all devices"

Try resetting the CMOS. Also, remove any add-in cards that are not
required to get video. Lastly, disconnect the hard drives(s) from the
motherboard.

Thanks for replying... I'll try, but how can I reset CMOS..?

At first I was going to say RTFM, but on closer inspection this board does
not have this feature. You could remove the on-board lithium battery and
short the two terminals of the battery holder for 5 to 10 seconds or so.

For reference, your user manual is he
ftp://download.intel.com/design/moth...D1406901US.pdf

because
I'm unable to enter to bios setup by pressing F2..

That has nothing to do with resetting the CMOS. However, if you set jumper
J7J3 to position 2-3, then power on the board, does it then enter setup?

I've installed
Geforce 6600 graphics card, is there any need to remove it...?

Since this MB has onboard VGA, yes - if only to eliminate the video card
as being part of the problem. Plug your monitor into the built-in VGA port
located on the motherboard.

Also I
forget to mention it early that, I've SATA hard drive..

Did you try disconnecting it to see if the POST goes any further?
Old July 12th 06, 07:49 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
[email protected]

Trent wrote:
On 11 Jul 2006 09:21:22 -0700 wrote in Message id:
om:

Trent wrote:
On 10 Jul 2006 05:12:16 -0700
wrote in Message id:
om:

[...]

Hi, thanks for help..

I'll follow these steps & let u know if it works...

thanks again..

ark