A computer components & hardware forum. HardwareBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » HardwareBanter forum » General Hardware & Peripherals » Homebuilt PC's
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate edition hangs during PCI to PCI bridge driver

Old January 16th 20, 05:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Windows 7 x64 Ultimate edition hangs during PCI to PCI bridge driver

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate edition hangs during PCI to PCI bridge driver installation on Winfast Motherboard: NF4SK8AA

There used to be a work-around solution for this, it involved disabling a certain driver or telling windows not to detect it.

I am not even sure if it was a 100% work around but ever since I did that the system kinda works.

Now that I have re-installed windows 7 x64 ultimate edition on usb stick and successfully boot from it, this issue
has returned.

Perhaps it's somewhere in my windows live mail on windows xp system but I don't think so, not sure.

If anybody knows about this issue or has a work around let me know.

For now kinda disappointed with Microsoft Windows not fixing this issue in Windows x64 drivers.

Later I will try Windows 10 32 bit to see if it has the same crappy detection problem.

Sparky Linux works ok, so at least linux is detecting hardware properly.

I am unsure which exact chips are in my motherboard.

If you know any linux or windows tool that does detect chipset/chips correctly and can make a list that would
be helpfull.

Then I can try and diagnose the problem and maybe figure out which chip/driver or whatever it is that microsoft windows 7 is
doing wrong, is doing.

Somehow windows 7 is getting confused, could be PCI to PCI bridge controller, it could also be that it detect
OHC controller or something and is wrong device.

I could maybe supply a list of currently installed driver on windows x64 edition on main drive ?!

Is there any way to produce a list of currently installed drivers and then duplicate that on the new usb device ?!

One idea that comes to mind is export the current control set of windows.

Saw this trick earlier to compare stuff I think that might actually work... I am not sure if this involves all drivers
but I think this might work.

So I will export the current control set to a reg key file, boot into windows on usb... quickly go to C drive or even
better store these registry keys on usb stick and try and load them quick before it hangs, then restart windows.

One problem with this method it won't help others with this motherboard or in case I loose current system configuration.

I will upload the registry key to my webdrive in case I ever need it again... cause right now windows is sucking hard with
correct driver and chip detection/installation.

Don't know how to fix or correct, don't know how to debug boot time of 10 minute which is still in this system sometime.

Might somebody with knowledge of NFORCE 4 chipset can take a look at these registry keys and see if anything is wrong.

I could also try the sysprep method to clean drivers and/or start from scratch or maybe even full re-install windows 7, though
rather not go through that process again, though with new trick it could go pretty fast, won't solve much I think...

Need to solve this wrong driver loading problem.

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

Old January 16th 20, 06:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Windows 7 x64 Ultimate edition hangs during PCI to PCI bridge

Importing registry keys, might be risky and might not work, it could also disable usb boot stuff, could re-enable it later though. I'd rather find other solution, cause this registry import trick is untested.

I can vaguely remember some PCI scanning tool that scans the system or something, not sure if I used it back then to diagnose the problem.

It's not on my current harddisk, maybe it's on old harddisks, can't remember but is on old, sector damaged harddisks... hmmm

Can't remember me re-installing windows x64, it should be on here if I used it... I do so a pci latency tool on my windows xp x64 edition.

Not sure if windows x64 edition had same pci bridge problem... hmmm...

Bye for now,
Skybuck.
Old January 16th 20, 06:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I am gonna try this:

https://www.pci-z.com/

A pci scanning tool.

Not sure if this will also detect PCI bridges and such.. hmm might be wrong tool for the job..

Maybe I need chipset scanning tool like

Chipset-Z or something =D

Bye for now,
Skybuck.
Old January 17th 20, 02:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]
external usenet poster

wrote:
I am gonna try this:

A pci scanning tool.

Not sure if this will also detect PCI bridges and such.. hmm might be wrong tool for the job..

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

PCI bridges are normally resolved by in-box drivers.
When a "chipset driver" is provided by the user installing
such, it just puts an entry in Device Manager as a text
string, and the driver is likely to be in-box. As
long as bridges are standards compliant and use all
the right registers, they should be resolved at
startup. The OS needs this capability, as otherwise it
would not be able to scan the busses on the other side
for "New Hardware".

Paul
Old January 21st 20, 12:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, January 17, 2020 at 2:12:21 AM UTC+1, Paul wrote:
wrote:
I am gonna try this:

A pci scanning tool.

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

PCI bridges are normally resolved by in-box drivers.
When a "chipset driver" is provided by the user installing
such, it just puts an entry in Device Manager as a text
string, and the driver is likely to be in-box. As
long as bridges are standards compliant and use all
the right registers, they should be resolved at
startup. The OS needs this capability, as otherwise it
would not be able to scan the busses on the other side
for "New Hardware".

Paul

I am facing a few problems with that:

1. There are multiple PCI to PCI bridges ?!?

Which one is causing the problem ?

It seems these PCI things are certain forms of communication with devices ? So perhaps there is some PCI device involved ? Not sure if it's just a chip thing or a device thing as well.

2. VMWare tools installed itself after OS installed. I think I left "install vmtools after installation checkbox on" or something. Kinda didn't want this, might have to re-install.

Would be nice to know how to remove or disable these vmware tools inside operating systems.

What I really need is a way to scan the system/software and be able to tell which PCI to PCI bridge is causing the problem ?

It could also be that this is a symptom of another malfunction somewhere.

Meanwhile I investigated the texas instrument thing... fireware and such... there is indeed some chip on the motherboard presumably... but the pins/headers for this fireware are not present on the motherboard, which is kinda odd isn't it ? Why would winfast remove this feature ? Perhaps a defective fireware chip ? Diversify products ? Artificially limit it's capabilities ? Or perhaps prevent confusion between fireware and usb ?

Bye,
Skybuck.