Clocks with chips. Whatever will be next.

Old December 13th 19, 02:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Clocks with chips. Whatever will be next.

Are a dollar for the movement behind a piece of paper sold for $20.

Looking at market bearings, a programmable event alarm linked to an
exterior power source, which turns on or that source along with an
apparent light of LED confidence.

Appliance timers are selling for $20. Not mechanical trips with so
many slots and buttons of limits to their restrictive measures, which
lag to a transition, but the digital equivalent without conspicuous
limitations.

Mid-marketing interestingly has its say on that. Stacking the two
aside one another occurs from a comparative view to sourcing their
materials from southern Chinese borders at the divide, most directly
indistinguishable between Hong Kong.

But when, last and exasperated by a interim buffer between West and
East, having evaluated to select the East for a direct source, a West
final or counter-offer was then revealed to me from an Eastern
affiliate, an OEM branding outfit, closest to the Far East but located
in the occidental West.

The price struck was at a 30% markup over 60% discounts reflected by
source marketing appraisals, over and above market forbearance for a
Western discrepancy of added profits, effectively then to reduce a
perceived cost/value by half.

Of interest notably, between a browser for bouncing prices back and
forth for both Western mid-marketing interests, that the final outcome
should occur at the checkout-stage, apart from wares initially priced
as so presented.

Pulled out from underneath the table from a box, as it were, of
cookies I wouldn't, offhand, say with certainty that they could not be
further factored for sharing operable principles between the two
interests.
Old December 13th 19, 02:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 20:04:25 -0500, Flasherly
wrote:

a dollar for the movement behind a piece of paper sold for $20.

-

A revelation of stunning magnitude.

At a pinnacle of Nazi Engineering, subsequently Volkswagen (TM) was
adapted to provide a Western American capital market with an
"Everyman's Car", comprising no owner mechanical expertise above and
beyond what one man could not perform, solely and individually, to
maintain and replace a Volkswagen vehicle part(s) accordingly within
workable order.

The first Volkswagen Beatles were sold in America for $600/US for
operating on a 6Vold electrical system from a 40-horsepower motor.

Now a clock movement, from China, occurs at under $1/US to subsidized
US mail services, and, as we're informed, a gasoline-fueled vehicle
costs an American $40,000/US. It's fully a 360-degree magnitude of
import.
Old December 13th 19, 05:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:

[...]

The best part of the Volkswagen, was the gasoline powered
car heater :-)

Paul
Old December 13th 19, 06:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:

[...]

Yes, it was installed under the hood NEXT to the gas tank, I was working
on one once and it started to Pop and backfire, Scared the crap out of
me before I could shut it down.
By the way for those who have never been under the hood of a VW beatle,
on their smallish gas tank sat about a 4 inch diameter filler cap! Like
you would find on a Kenworth Diesel tank. Yup, Brilliant.

Rene

For a short time, my brother was restoring a VW bug.

Pulled the heater and set it up on a stump in the back yard.
The plan was to test it. Of course it caught fire. No surprise
there. The only thing missing, is my brother didn't bring
a bag of marshmallows to cook on the heat.

The restoration project stopped, when my brother
stripped all the wire out of the thing (it needed
replacing), then couldn't figure out how it all
went again.

Paul
Old December 13th 19, 06:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

wrote:

[...]

Until the heat exchanger rusts out and the cabin fills with exhaust gas. I
had to drive with both front windows down so that the exhaust had a place
to go. That was annoying but tolerable during the summer, but it got rough
during the winter when the temps were below -20F.

Old December 13th 19, 11:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rene Lamontagne

wrote:

a dollar for the movement behind a piece of paper sold for $20.

-

A revelation of stunning magnitude.

At a pinnacle of Nazi Engineering, subsequently Volkswagen (TM) was
adapted to provide a Western American capital market with an
"Everyman's Car", comprising no owner mechanical expertise above and
beyond what one man could not perform, solely and individually, to
maintain and replace a Volkswagen vehicle part(s) accordingly within
workable order.

The first Volkswagen Beatles were sold in America for $600/US for
operating on a 6Vold electrical system from a 40-horsepower motor.

Now a clock movement, from China, occurs at under $1/US to subsidized
US mail services, and, as we're informed, a gasoline-fueled vehicle
costs an American $40,000/US.Â* It's fully a 360-degree magnitude of
import.

The best part of the Volkswagen, was the gasoline powered
car heater :-)

Â*Â* Paul

Old December 13th 19, 05:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:

[...]

That's why I mentioned it. I remember driving to uni
with someone in the winter, in their bug, and nearly
being gassed, and we drove with the windows down
a bit to "reduce the rate of poisoning" :-)

I was kinda wondering at the time, whether that heater
idea ever worked right.

Paul

Old December 13th 19, 09:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

On Fri, 13 Dec 2019 17:00:48 -0600, Rene Lamontagne

wrote:

[...]

No, they never did and were a real danger in every way.

Rene

Actually, my friend had a bug where the heater worked beautifully. When
they work, they're awesome because they start throwing heat almost
immediately, unlike a standard water-cooled engine that needs to warm up
first. I agree about the danger, though. A pinhole leak, over time, might
not alert you with the exhaust smell but might be enough to make you
drowsy. That could be a safety issue.

With that bug, though, first the throttle cable broke and my friend
replaced it with a piece of light rope. Then the clutch cable broke shortly
after. We limped it home, but it was interesting because we had to roll
through stop signs and stop lights. That was the clue, though, that a visit
to the local junk yard was in order. Luckily, we were able to scrounge both
cables.

Old December 14th 19, 12:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rene Lamontagne