Boot from SATA HDs? (865PE chipsets)

Old February 18th 04, 08:36 PM
Ronald Rey

Default Boot from SATA HDs? (865PE chipsets)

I was wondering if other makes of motherboards with non-RAID 865PE chipsets support a
"booting" SATA HD(to WinXP)? Especially if there is also a non-booting PATA HD in the
system on one of the standard IDE channels?

Would this be a BIOS issue or a limitation of the 865PE chipset (non-RAID)?

My board's support website has a statement in the FAQ section that says the DFI PS83-BL
rev.A does not support a "booting" SATA HD ........ That note was dated back in May 2003.
Since then however, they have released 4 BIOS updates for improving lots of other good
stuff, but based on my test last night, it looks like I'll have to wait still longer for a
BIOS update that gives me the ability to boot from a SATA HD (assuming the 865PE chipset,
etc supports that feature). The SATA I bought yesterday works fine as a logical non-booting
HD but will not boot if cloned from my current PATA booting drive (using Ghost 2003 in a
direct Disk-to-Disk cloning).

I need to start pushing DFI's tech support for another BIOS update depending on what
feedback I get here.

Thanks everybody ....... RR

Old February 19th 04, 12:30 AM
Folkert Rienstra

"Ronald Rey" wrote in message news7PYb.347603$xy6.1732678@attbi_s02
I was wondering if other makes of motherboards with non-RAID 865PE chipsets support a
"booting" SATA HD(to WinXP)? Especially if there is also a non-booting PATA HD in the
system on one of the standard IDE channels?

Would this be a BIOS issue or a limitation of the 865PE chipset (non-RAID)?

My board's support website has a statement in the FAQ section that says the DFI PS83-BL
rev.A does not support a "booting" SATA HD ........ That note was dated back in May 2003.
Since then however, they have released 4 BIOS updates for improving lots of other good
stuff, but based on my test last night, it looks like I'll have to wait still longer for a
BIOS update that gives me the ability to boot from a SATA HD

(assuming the 865PE chipset, etc supports that feature).

It is a pure bios issue.

The SATA I bought yesterday works fine as a logical non-booting
HD but will not boot if cloned from my current PATA booting drive (using Ghost 2003 in a
direct Disk-to-Disk cloning).

Presumably that took place using DOS or something else that uses BIOS so BIOS
is enabled for it. Check that Ghost has made the drive's bootpartition active.

Old February 19th 04, 04:53 AM
Ronald Rey

Yes, I ran Ghost 2003 from a bootable Dos floppy but did not check to see if the bootable
partition was set as active. How to I set it as active if it is NTFS? Thanks!

Old February 19th 04, 11:59 AM
Folkert Rienstra

"Ronald Rey" wrote in message news:RqWYb.350008$xy6.1756986@attbi_s02
Yes, I ran Ghost 2003 from a bootable Dos floppy but did not check to see if the bootable
partition was set as active. How to I set it as active if it is NTFS? Thanks!

Exactly the same as if it were FAT.

Old February 19th 04, 06:33 PM
Ronald Rey

Okay thanks ... However I though Ghost 2003 will automatically seat the active partition
when making a complete Disk-to-Disk copy.