Failed hard drives

Old July 29th 04, 11:28 AM
Bryan

Default Failed hard drives

I was rebooting the Citrix server (Windows 2000) because some users
complained it was slow. When the server came back up it informed me
that one of my drives had failed. There was a loud beeping. I went
into the Megaraid Express Plus configuration utility to view the
drives. I saw that ID 0 drive had failed and that I had two of three
Seagate ST39173LC drives working.

I got out of the configuration utility and allowed it to boot and it
took 45 minutes to an hour to start the operating system. When it
finally came up I shut it down, to think about what to do.

My plan was to remove one hard drive at a time and see if the other
two would allow it to boot normally. I thought I could do this and
then replace the bad drive. I thought I could isolate the bad hard
drive and I did not think I would harm it.

While going through the trial and error process. I had a second drive
fail. Now when booting the system does not recognize the operating
system and the start up process is done.

I am not sure where to turn. This is a bit beyond my scope of
knowledge. The problem could be the drives or the motherboard and I am
not sure of that, either.

I am new to the company and this has been up and running for at least
3 months without instance...

Would it be wise to take it to a hardware repair shop or should I
replace the drives with new drives and go from there?