I want to use Nero, not Roxio

Old July 16th 03, 03:05 PM
Greg Bailey

Default I want to use Nero, not Roxio

I have just purchased a Dell Dimension 2350 computer. It arrived
yesterday (7/15). I haven't even taken it out of the box yet and
probably won't have a chance to set it up until tomorrow.

This unit is equipped with a CD-RW, and I do a lot of audio CD burning
so I'm relatively experienced with it, thanks to a lot of help I've
gotten from this group.

I normally use EAC for extraction purposes. I know some folks have had
some ASPI problems using that with Windows XP, have had to download
some stuff to make it work right, but I have some inquiries out about
that at the EAC newsgroup on Yahoo so I can take care of any issues
ASAP. My intention here is to be proactive and head off problems, not
wait until they happen.

I normally use Nero to burn CDs. Nero was bundled with the Lite-On
CD-RW I installed on my present computer last year, and I still have
the Version 5 disc, registered to me.

I know Roxio EZ-CD Creator is installed on the computer I bought. I
don't want it, have no intention of ever launching it. I've read both
the horror stories and praise about Roxio over the years. Those of you
who love it and for whom it works well, more power to you. Those of
you who hate it and have told the horror stories, you've gotten my
attention.

Bottom line, if I can help it this program will never be launched on
my computer. The first thing I intend to do after I get my computer
set up and running is to install Nero and download Exact Audio Copy.

My question is this ... I've seen some posts, not so much here but on
the Dell groups, that say it is problematic to uninstall Roxio from
your computer, that it can screw things up to where the new program
you install (i.e., Nero) won't work as it should.

Has anyone here had experience along those lines?

Can Nero and Roxio co-exist without me uninstalling Roxio? Is there
anything I can do to make them co-exist? Or if there isn't anything I
can do to make them co-exist, what do I need to do to uninstall Roxio
without creating any problems? Or if it's impossible to uninstall
Roxio without creating any problems, what do I need to do to fix said
problems? Because I want to be proactive about this, I want to take
care of things at the start and not wait until problems develop.

Thanks in advance for any help.