Restoring a Dell

Old March 5th 05, 09:39 PM
Patch

Default Restoring a Dell

A buddy brought me a Dell laptop that is totally hosed with Spyware &
viruses. Running Norton & Ad-aware didn't fix the problems. Norton said
there were 6500 infected files! Ad-aware reported over 10,000 "critical
objects" I think it's time to do a format & reinstall of XP Pro. He is
looking for the CD that Dell supplied when he bought the computer. He wants
me to do the install, my question, how do you use the restore disk from
Dell? I've done lots of installs, but nothing like this.

Thanks

Old March 5th 05, 09:53 PM
Louie

Hi,

Reinstall on a Dell is easy.

1. 1st you need the "resource disk"...Important!
the prompts will come up, boot to cd rom, open a dos session
then.........Run the "debug sequence" from the dos promt to wipe the
hardrive clean ( they say it is like writing to zeros.)

2. Pop out the resource CD, put in the XP cd, do a control-alt-delete, pc
will reistartl & follow the onscreen intructions from there.

3. After windows is installed, need the CD for all the drivers.

My understanding is that Dell offers lifetime support, I have called them on
my old laptop, which i never use, & they walked me thru it, that has win98,
& you need to fdisk.

But with XP, easier.

Louie

Old March 5th 05, 11:34 PM
Edward J. Neth

How old is the system? If it is newer than July, 2004, there's a
restore partition on the hard drive. BACKUP YOUR DATA (you WILL lose it
all), boot the system and press CTRL-F11. Follow the prompts.

Old March 6th 05, 03:59 AM
RRR_News

Patch,
If your buddy cannot find the Resource CD and any additional CD's that
contains some of the hardware on his laptop. Then you should go to Dell's
website under Support, and download the driver files for his model of
laptop. What you may try also, before you reformat his laptop. Make a backup
of the "drivers" folder on his laptop, it should be located at:
C:\Dell\drivers

First run your AV software on it, then burn it to a CD.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) message rule
Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate

Old March 7th 05, 08:39 AM
Dave Navarro

Restore partition is only available on Inspiron laptops and Dimension
desktops. They haven't started putting them on Lattitude laptops or
Optiplex systems yet.

In article , ejn63
@netscape.net says...

Old March 15th 05, 12:59 AM
Ajax

See first of all , new dell system come with what is called a system
restore. so if u have bought system after june 2004, it will have pc
restore on it. To restore ur system and all software in it, all u have
to do is as soon as computer starts booting up, when u see DELL logo
screen,all you have to do is hold down CTRL key and simultaneously
tap on F11 key on the keyboard. It should take you to PC restore. If
it doesnt, then wait till dell logo screen goes off, then tried thos
keys and keeping on tapping on them until u come to that screen. There
you will have click on restore, VOILA!!!! within 10 minutes u have a
DELL computer like the way you got it for the first time with all the
softwraes.

And take it from me, it works, Because I myself am a dell
tech working for them. ;-)