CPU upgrade problem

Old February 12th 04, 02:06 AM
Cold War Relic

Default CPU upgrade problem

On my P4P800 Dlx, I upgraded my P4 2.8 to a 3.2. Now at every boot I get
the dreaded "New CPU Installed! Press F1 to go into bios. Press F2 to
continue with default settings". No matter how many times I go into the
bios and change things, it still finds the new CPU.

Next issue, once I am in windows WPUID shows two processors as normal but
each of them are exactly half the proper speed! They each show about 1.6.
I don't recall them being halved with the 2.8.

Help? Anyone?

Thanks!
Old February 12th 04, 02:13 AM
Cold War Relic

Cold War Relic wrote in
6.16:

On my P4P800 Dlx, I upgraded my P4 2.8 to a 3.2. Now at every boot I
get the dreaded "New CPU Installed! Press F1 to go into bios. Press F2
to continue with default settings". No matter how many times I go
into the bios and change things, it still finds the new CPU.

Next issue, once I am in windows WPUID shows two processors as normal
but each of them are exactly half the proper speed! They each show
about 1.6. I don't recall them being halved with the 2.8.

Help? Anyone?

Thanks!

Also, I re-flashed the bios, cleared the RTC and the other suggestions I
found on Google with no luck.
Old February 12th 04, 01:31 PM
Shogun

Maybe you should look in BIOS Setup and then in Advanced Chipset Features,
where you can change the CPU Frequency Multiple a.s.o. to get the right
values?

"Cold War Relic" wrote in message
6.16...
Cold War Relic wrote in
6.16:

Old February 12th 04, 04:10 PM
Paul

In article , Cold War
Relic wrote:

Cold War Relic wrote in
6.16:

On my P4P800 Dlx, I upgraded my P4 2.8 to a 3.2. Now at every boot I
get the dreaded "New CPU Installed! Press F1 to go into bios. Press F2
to continue with default settings". No matter how many times I go
into the bios and change things, it still finds the new CPU.

Next issue, once I am in windows WPUID shows two processors as normal
but each of them are exactly half the proper speed! They each show
about 1.6. I don't recall them being halved with the 2.8.

Help? Anyone?

Thanks!

Also, I re-flashed the bios, cleared the RTC and the other suggestions I
found on Google with no luck.

Have you taken a look in the BIOS, to see if the claimed speed is
halved in there as well ? The BIOS is modal, and sometimes extra settings
show up, like when switching the "AI Overclocking Tuner" to [Manual].

Check in the BIOS, to see if the FSB is running at 100MHz (=FSB400) or
200MHz (=FSB800). The multiplier is locked, so the only way to adjust
is via the FSB setting.

The processor has two pins on the bottom, called BSEL for Bus Select.
These pins indicate that the clock should be 100MHz, 133MHz, 200MHz, or
a reserved value. If one of the BSEL pins is not sensed properly,
that could cause an auto selection of bus frequency to be set to half
the normal value. Root causes for this could be: defective processor,
brass standoff shorting to motherboard socket, bent pin on processor.

Every time you boot the computer, the BIOS records the hardware detected,
including the processor type. If the BIOS were having some kind of
problem recording this information, then when it compares what was
written in ESCD on the last boot, to what it finds now, that will
give the "New CPU Detected". Causes for this could be: BIOS version
doesn't support processor, writing to ESCD is failing (it is part
of the flash chip), BIOS bug.

Check this page, to see what BIOS is needed to work properly with the
3.2Ghz processor. It is also possible, that the BIOS flash didn't "take".
Flashing these boards is problematic, due to some of the BIOS updates
needing to update the Boot Block - the Asus flashing instructions
seem to change on a per-release basis.

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusu...pusupport.aspx

HTH,
Paul

Unusual DVD-rom problem Sizif General 0 July 7th 04 03:25 PM
This problem has baffled everyone... Nick G General 46 May 22nd 04 04:01 AM
* A7N8X bios/boot problem - Save & Exit death problem ? Jay Bittle Asus Motherboards 1 January 12th 04 08:16 AM
Help! P4P800 upgrade problem Markab Asus Motherboards 7 November 13th 03 10:05 PM
Need some help with diagnosing a system problem.... Brooks Moses Homebuilt PC's 9 September 22nd 03 10:05 PM