XP cries with my GeForce 4 Ti 4600

Old June 22nd 03, 03:51 PM
Steve

Default XP cries with my GeForce 4 Ti 4600

"Teabag" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 00:29:51 GMT, "24 Carrot Balla"
wrote:

Okay i'm just trying to diagnose this little problem setup by step.

Okay I have a Tyan Tiger 230T 2507T Dual Pentium Board that I'm running

with
Dual Pentium III 1.2Ghz 133mhz chips, and I'm Running Windows XP Pro

Retail,
I have 1.2GB of PC133 memory in the computer. And if it matters I have a
Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum in it.

Well my problem is when I I try to enabled the AGP 4x with an AGP Apeture

of
any kind with my Geforce 4 Ti 4600 card, and I try to run any type of

game
that would use the Direct3D, Windows locks up :-O. I have DirectX 9 I

think
too. It doesn't want to behave until I knock the AGP down to 2X, and

that's
no fun..

So would that be my motherboard, the fact I don't have DDR memory, or

what.
It's a MSI Geforce4, and I had the utility get the newest drivers, and
everything on the driver descriptors is at 6.14.10.4403. I'm confused.

Help
me if you can.

It's probably your mb that is the problem but can't say for sure. But
there is no appreciable performance difference between 2x and 4x AGP
so just set it to 2X and be happy with it.

I know that there is no difference between 2x and 4x but the "fix" should
not be to live with 2x. There is a setting for 4x and one should be able to
use it. Do you have the latest BIOS? I know there was an issue with Via
chipsets and nVidia cards.

---

Old June 22nd 03, 04:15 PM
Tom Dauphin

Just wanted to add I think there's an issue with the Via/Nvidia drivers -
Must make sure to load or reload the Nvidia drivers AFTER loading the Via
drivers...
"Blaedmon" wrote in message
i had similar problems - try these things if u havent already:
1. latest hyperian 4-in-1 VIA drivers. grab em.
2. set your aperture to 64 - anything else is useless with the gf4ti4600
since its already using 128ddr of its own.
3. try 3dguru.com and grab the 'nvhardpage' program - see what it can see.
4. move your soundcard to pci slot 2 (or anything besides pci slot 1 which
is next to agp)
5. email chuck norris, demanding he investigate this evil.
6. check your audigy drivers - i remember there being issues with that
particular card. Putting it plainly, its an uncooperative headstrong
*******.
7. good luck.