Recommendation requested for 6200 AGP graphics card

Old April 12th 07, 08:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Default Recommendation requested for 6200 AGP graphics card

Hi

I am thinking of buying a 6200 AGP graphics card to replace my
integrated graphics (845G). I do not play games but do want high
quality video for office type applications and photo editing. I want
to drive a TFT monitor at 1680x1050 resolution (using DVI).

I am considering:

a) Asus Geforce 6200 128MB DVI-D 1 X Vga Tv-out AGP
b) XFX GeForce 6200A 256MB DDR2 AGP8x DVI

Are these both good?

I would like to minimise heat dissipation and running costs, so I am
thinking that 128MB RAM would be better for me. Is this good
reasoning?

I want the card to recover correctly from S3 Hibernate. Am I likely to
find a problem there?

Any suggestions appreciated.

David

Old April 13th 07, 02:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'David' wrote, in part:
| I would like to minimise heat dissipation and running costs, so I am
| thinking that 128MB RAM would be better for me. Is this good
| reasoning?
_____

Well, operating costs aren't really a question for an nVidia 6200 solution
given a power consumption of 20 Watts under load. If your electrical
costs are $0.10 US per KWH, then the card will cost less than $0.005 US per
hour, added air conditioning load electrical consumption might add another
$0.002 US per hour.

Either display adapter memory size will meet your stated requirements, but
how about the rest of your system? Office productivity applications have
relatively low requirements, but photo editing (at high resolutions) require
a lot of CPU power and RAM capacity.

Phil Weldon

oups.com...

Old April 13th 07, 05:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

In case you were wondering, Learjet sells a gift card, good for 300 minutes
of "airtime". Prices start at only $24000, free shipping included...

link.net...

Old April 13th 07, 05:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Grant Edwards

On 2007-04-12, wrote:

I am thinking of buying a 6200 AGP graphics card to replace my
integrated graphics (845G). I do not play games but do want high
quality video for office type applications and photo editing. I want
to drive a TFT monitor at 1680x1050 resolution (using DVI).

I am considering:

a) Asus Geforce 6200 128MB DVI-D 1 X Vga Tv-out AGP
b) XFX GeForce 6200A 256MB DDR2 AGP8x DVI

Are these both good?

I just installed the XFX 6200A 256MB card this evening ($65
from tigerdirect). It's driving a 1600x1200 LCD on the DVI
connector and a 1152x854 CRT on the VGA connector. Everything
looks great and it's running cool as a cucumber.

I just pulled up some photos, and they look amazing at
1600x1200.

Right now the CRT is display 0, and the LCD is display 1. It's
not a big deal, but I want that to be reversed and haven't
figured how to do so (I'll have to do a bit of googling
tomorrow).

I want the card to recover correctly from S3 Hibernate. Am I
likely to find a problem there?

Dunno. I'm guessing "S3 Hibernate" is a Microsoftism, and I'm
running Linux. Besides which, the machine in question is on
24/7.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! .. I'll make you
at an ASHTRAY!!
Old April 13th 07, 06:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'First of One' wrote:
| In case you were wondering, Learjet sells a gift card, good for 300
minutes
| of "airtime". Prices start at only $24000, free shipping included...
_____

Now that's pretty neat, a Lear is a nice way to travel, but the lack of
in-flight movie is bummer. So is the cost of ground time.

Phil Weldon