Maybe a Dumb Question

Old December 22nd 03, 03:56 AM
JLP20

Default Maybe a Dumb Question

Planning on getting a new computer, my old Compaq is 5 years old.

I want a DVD-R drive, my plan is to transfer my old VHS home movies to DVD. IF
the computer had a DVD-R drive AND audio video connections, what do I have to
look for to know BEFORE I buy that the machine will do the job....
"Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20
Old December 22nd 03, 04:20 AM
The Kruegers

In addition to a DVD-RW or DVD-RW drive, you will need an audio/video
capture device. This can either be integrated into a graphics board or a
separate device that would connect thru USB.

Old December 23rd 03, 05:03 PM
df

If you plan to do the converson on your laptop, you will need a DVD-RW, not
a DVD-R. Additionally, you will need some type of videp capture hardware and
software.

Old December 23rd 03, 07:49 PM
DEJ57

If you plan to do the converson on your laptop, you will need a DVD-RW, not
a DVD-R

Are you saying they don't make PC based DVD-R burners--only DVD-RW? I haven't
kept track over the past year, nor have I reviewed all units available, to know
if at any point PC-based DVD-R burners were available--but I thought they were.
Looking through the paper on Sunday I saw several combo units that were
DVD+-R, DVD+-RW. But either (DVD-R or DVD-RW), if available, would accomplish
what the poster wants to do. It would be a shame if DVD-R weren't available,
as they tend to have more compatibility with stand alone DVD players than
DVD-RW.

Are you saying there would be a particular reason he'd have to use DVD-RW? I
don't think so....

Dale
Old December 23rd 03, 08:45 PM
Tom Scales

I don't understand your point. Of course you can make movies that are DVD-R.
You can make any of the four popular formats -R, +R, -RW, +RW and play then
on most home DVD players.

I bought a nice multi-format burner a few weeks ago for $79.

Tom

Old December 23rd 03, 09:56 PM
DEJ57

I bought a nice multi-format burner a few weeks ago for $79.

$119 with rebates was the best I'd seen storefront retail. Can you share where
you got yours? Would it run on WIN98SE? 800MHZ meet the minimal requirements?

Thanks, Dale
Old December 24th 03, 12:55 AM
DEJ57

A quick search did reveal a couple of just DVD-R, but I'd think it would make
more sense to have a combo DVD-R/RW for max usefulness. It also appeared that
a there are a couple of just DVD-RW...if that description is correct I'd avoid
that, as the DVD-RW media are more expensive and less compatible with
stand-alone DVD players, if that's the primary intended player for the
recoreded DVDs.

That's what I really like about this NG. It prompts me to search out the
details and better understand something I don't....

Seasons Greetings

Dale
Old December 24th 03, 01:40 AM
Tom Scales

Dale,

It was either OfficeMax or Staples -- one was $89 and one was 79. Can't
even remember the brand-name on the box, but it is an NEC-1300 drive. Works
flawlessly.

98SE should be fine and I would think 800Mhz would be OK. Just watch the
Sunday ads. I haven't paid for CD-R blanks in years (free with rebate).
OfficeMax even had DVD+R blanks (10 with slim jewel cases) free with rebate
recently. That was a first.

Tom

Old December 24th 03, 01:41 AM
Tom Scales

I thought his point was only DVD-RW would work, which I don't believe.

I believe all the latest drives, at least the +/- ones will do +R, +RW, -R
and -RW.

Tom

Old December 24th 03, 04:20 AM
DEJ57

98SE should be fine and I would think 800Mhz would be OK. Just watch the
Sunday ads. I haven't paid for CD-R blanks in years (free with rebate).
OfficeMax even had DVD+R blanks (10 with slim jewel cases) free with rebate

Yeah, I'm with you on the free CD-R from OM. Haven't seen free (after rebate)
DVD-R yet, which is what I use. Getting good results with CompUSA house brand
at $.80 each. They're only 1x but currently I only burn in 3 stand-alone
burners, which are real time anyway. Verbatims have given me the most
no-reads--had to stop using them even with them being a good price at Sam's.
While never being a big fan of rebates, over the past nine months I've gotten
over $200 in rebates, mostly making items free, from OM, Office Depot, or
CompUSA. Did have to fight for several rebates that were unjustly denied. I'll
watch the ads closer for the DVD burners....

Dale

Dumb question about case fan installation hamidbm General 9 February 8th 05 08:01 PM
double sided DVDRs - a dumb question Louise Cdr 5 January 29th 05 01:16 AM
FSB question Ken Ruppel Overclocking AMD Processors 2 October 8th 04 08:37 PM
OT Dumb Question pilgrim Overclocking 7 September 25th 04 03:57 AM
SATA RAID question... basic RAID question Scotter Asus Motherboards 9 January 3rd 04 12:08 AM