who would buy Exo 15E900: 15,000 RPM only 900 GB

Old June 25th 20, 11:52 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

Default who would buy Exo 15E900: 15,000 RPM only 900 GB

So it does 300 MB/s, whereas the bigger enterprise disks only reach 250 MB/s
I imagine this would be used as a fast temp disk that gets a good thrashing,
but then wouldn't you have an SSD for that?
Old June 26th 20, 09:58 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Friday, June 26, 2020 at 1:50:18 AM UTC+8, Yousuf Khan wrote:

Seems like it might be an older enterprise disk, judging by how small it
is, and its speed. So it likely predates SSD's. These days I don't think
we see much above 10,000 RPM, but back in the past they tried to go
higher. I have a feeling that they didn't become popular because of
their noise or reliability, or both. The fact that they still have one
to sell you, probably means it's reliable since it's lasted this long
already, but possibly it's noisy.

Yes I can remember in ye olde days, when you had a 42RU cabinet full of 15k
disks, and you needed earplugs.