AWARD BIOS and big disks support

Old December 3rd 03, 03:38 PM
Nexus6

Default AWARD BIOS and big disks support

Hi,
I'm having a problem quite common around here, as I can read, regarding
the support of BIG hard drives on good old motherboards.

I have a Jamicon (Kaimei) KM-T5-T1 board with INTEL TRITON TX REV. 1.6
chipset, and I wonder if there is anyone here that can help me in
finding a new BIOS that supports 80 GB drives.

The actual BIOS is an AWARD Bios with this identification string :

08/27/97-I430TX-ALI513X-2A59IK19

I spent a lot of time Googling around but the only reference I found was
a site where the BIOS upgrade are delivered paying something like 25 US$ ...

Thanks to all who can help.

Nexus6 (Italy)

Old December 3rd 03, 04:17 PM

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 15:38:35 GMT, Nexus6
wrote:

KM-T5-T1

Well here is one that is close

http://www.bios-drivers.com/drivers/76/76684.htm

Looks as though it is for your motherboard.

I have a GVC DR736 motherboard in my Sony VAIO that I can't find a
bios for. Sony no longer supports it.

Old December 3rd 03, 05:54 PM

wrote:

KM-T5-T1

Well here is one that is close

http://www.bios-drivers.com/drivers/76/76684.htm

Looks as though it is for your motherboard.

I have a GVC DR736 motherboard in my Sony VAIO that I can't find a
bios for. Sony no longer supports it.

PS You should probably run the Bios unicore bios wizard on your old
BIOS before you start.

http://www.wimsbios.com/

This gives a nice report of your current bios capabilities.

BIOS CAPABILITIES TEST REPORT
===============================

Generated by: BIOS Wizard 2.10
Date: December 03, 2003
Time:
PnP Version : BIOS currently supports latest version 1.0
PCI Version : BIOS currently supports latest version 2.1
PCI IRQ Routing Table : BIOS currently supports this feature
Enhanced Disk Drive Specification BIOS currently supports this feature
DMI Version : BIOS supports min version 2.1. Latest is version 2.3
ACPI Version : BIOS currently supports latest version 1.0
APM Version : APM BIOS not installed. It has been replaced by ACPI
Booting From CD-ROM : BIOS currently supports this feature
Supports ESCD : BIOS currently supports this feature
Can be Updated (flashed) : BIOS currently supports this feature
Can be Shadowed : BIOS currently supports this feature
BIOS Chip in Socket : BIOS currently supports this feature
Supports Selective Booting : BIOS currently supports this feature
Supports LS-120 Booting : BIOS doesn't support this feature
Supports ZIP Booting : BIOS doesn't support this feature
Supports Network Booting : The testing of this feature is not
supported by the current DMI version

BIOS Manufacturer : PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0.2W
BIOS ID : Unknown
BIOS Date : 09/25/98
BIOS OEM Signon :
BIOS ROM Size : 256K
Chipset : Intel 440BX/ZX rev 2
Super I/O Chip : SMC 70x or 80x found at port 370h

Old December 4th 03, 03:19 PM
Nexus6

wrote:

KM-T5-T1

Well here is one that is close

http://www.bios-drivers.com/drivers/76/76684.htm

Looks as though it is for your motherboard.

Unfortunately NOT. This BIOS is working on Jamicon (Kaimei)KM-T5-T1
i430TX-W977TF-2A59IK1CC-00 main board , but mine is a
I430TX-ALI513X-2A59IK19 and when I tried to flash it on, I have a
warning that says it would not work. I tried anyway, after having backed
up my old BIOS image, and the board was almost screwed up (no boot
device recognized....) I restored back to 1.6

Thanks anyway !

Old December 4th 03, 04:28 PM
David Segall

Nexus6 wrote:

Hi,
I'm having a problem quite common around here, as I can read, regarding
the support of BIG hard drives on good old motherboards.

I have a Jamicon (Kaimei) KM-T5-T1 board with INTEL TRITON TX REV. 1.6
chipset, and I wonder if there is anyone here that can help me in
finding a new BIOS that supports 80 GB drives.

The actual BIOS is an AWARD Bios with this identification string :

08/27/97-I430TX-ALI513X-2A59IK19

I spent a lot of time Googling around but the only reference I found was
a site where the BIOS upgrade are delivered paying something like 25 US$ ...

Thanks to all who can help.

Nexus6 (Italy)

If you can't find a suitable BIOS upgrade OnTrack Disk Manager
(http://www.ontrack.com/diskmanager/) will enable your computer to use
the entire disk.

If you don't feel like spending $US60.00 on the software, many disk
manufacturers have a free copy on their web site which will only work
with their disks.
Old December 4th 03, 05:17 PM

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 15:19:35 GMT, Nexus6

wrote:

KM-T5-T1

Well here is one that is close

http://www.bios-drivers.com/drivers/76/76684.htm

Looks as though it is for your motherboard.

Unfortunately NOT. This BIOS is working on Jamicon (Kaimei)KM-T5-T1
i430TX-W977TF-2A59IK1CC-00 main board , but mine is a
I430TX-ALI513X-2A59IK19 and when I tried to flash it on, I have a
warning that says it would not work. I tried anyway, after having backed
up my old BIOS image, and the board was almost screwed up (no boot
device recognized....) I restored back to 1.6

Thanks anyway !

I assume you entered setup after the bios install and either took the
defaults or found the page with the controller information. You
running a pci card controller?

Old December 9th 03, 11:14 AM
Nexus6

If you can't find a suitable BIOS upgrade OnTrack Disk Manager
(http://www.ontrack.com/diskmanager/) will enable your computer to use
the entire disk.

If you don't feel like spending $US60.00 on the software, many disk
manufacturers have a free copy on their web site which will only work
with their disks.

Great ! I downloaded a free copy from my disk manufacturer (SAMSUNG) and
it works ! Thanks a lot.