Dell Workstation 420 memory upgrade problem

Old November 12th 03, 06:58 PM
Mr Ter

Default Dell Workstation 420 memory upgrade problem

I'm trying to upgrade memory on my Dell Precision Workstation 420 from
current 512 MB to 1GB. The current memory is 600MHz Non-ECC RDRAM.
Unfortunately they don't make it anymore and the only memory I can get is
800MHz. Dell and manuals tell me that it should work but when I inserted
two 256 MB 800MHz sticks into the PC it does not boot. The problem may be
that the memory sticks are faulty since they were second hand or my BIOS
was too old. So before I take it any further I wonder if someone with the
same PC could confirm that 800 MHz memory would work in it.

Thanks - Tom

--
---
if you would like to reply directly please remove [no #spam] from the email
Old November 13th 03, 12:37 AM
Christopher Muto

according to dell's documentation the precision 420 has four (dual channel)
rambus slots that accept 64/128/256/512mb 800mhz ecc memory. you must have
terminators in the unused slots. if you currently have 600mhz non-ecc
working in the system then this obviously is inconsistent with the
documentation. if the memory that you purchase is non-ecc then having it
not work is consistent with the documentation... now, having said that, the
machine is built on an 840 chipset that is capable of working with either
ecc or non-ecc (seems unlikely that dell would actually go out of their way
to pigeon this functionality). looking at the note on the many bios updates
it appears that enhancements to memory support was added with version a07...
the current version is a13. i suggest you try a bios update with the
working memory installed (of course) and then try the new memory once that
has proven to be successful. let us know how it works out.

Old November 13th 03, 12:52 PM
Kernelpanic

I agree. My company actually has several 420 and we had to upgrade the bios
inorder to add/use the 512MB memory chips.

Old November 15th 03, 11:48 AM
Mr Ter

"Mr Ter" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Guys for your answers. I've upgrade to the latest bios version A13
but I still have the problem. I took 2 stick of RAM from another 420 and
populated all slots and it worked. I can only speculate that the new memory
that I'm trying to add must be damaged.

Tom

--
---
Old November 15th 03, 04:13 PM
Christopher Muto

or that the system simply does not work with non-ecc as dell said in their
documentation... you did mention that you purchased non-ecc, right?

Old November 16th 03, 07:04 PM
Mr Ter

"Mr Ter" wrote in message

[...]

Well, the original memory that came with the PC is non-ecc and it works.

Tom

--
---
Old November 17th 03, 01:34 AM
Christopher Muto

perhaps not worth the effort since it sounds like you have resolved the
issue... but i wonder these things: did you try this new memory with the
old memory installed or just the new memory installed? are both of the new
modules identical? does the bios report that the original memory was non-ecc
or are they labeled non-ecc? i completely understand if you don't want to
investigate any further and don't post back.

Old November 17th 03, 07:56 PM
Mr Ter

"Mr Ter" wrote in message

[...]

Well I tried the following options:

new memory on its own - result PC does not boot
old memory + new mwmory - result PC does not boot
old memory + one stick of new momory (silver stick) - result PC boots but
memory is still 512 MB. Tried the same with the other stick (black) -
result PC does not boot.
old memory + memory from another 420 (excatly the same as mine) - result PC
boots.

The only conclution that I can draw is that either the black memory stick
has been damaged or that memory (black stick) is totaly incompatable with
my PC. There is offcourse another option i.e I'm missing something here
that's why I've posted in this group to see if anybody could comment on
this problem.

Tom

--
---
Old November 20th 03, 10:58 PM
Christopher Muto

are you saying that the two new sticks do not look identical to one another?
well then that is the problem!
this machine has four memory sockets. these are dual channel sockets that
require that memory be installed in like pairs (meaning two identical sticks
at a time). since your machine has four sockets it can handle either one
identical pair and one set of terminator cards (no chips) in the unpopulated
slots, or, two sets of identical pairs. the two pairs can be of different
capacity, but each stick in a particular pair has to match the other (or it
wouldn't be a pair). hope that is clear.