new MB for Presario 5000?

Old January 25th 05, 03:44 AM
Al

Default new MB for Presario 5000?

I'm thinking of getting an old Presario 5000 (5WV254) and installing a
new motherboard, CPU and RAM - keeping the drives, the PSU etc. and
installing '98

Is this doable? I'd be happy to have something running at around 2GHz,
and drive transfer speed isn't that important. Can anybody suggest an
MB/CPU combination that would work? Are there any pitfalls to doing this?
Thanks.
Old January 25th 05, 04:36 AM
Ben Myers

Depending on the model of Presario, the pitfalls are that the power supply is
not capable of handling a Pentium 4 (assuming that it is an ATX power supply),
and that the connectors to whatever is on the front panel are proprietary to
Compaq.

A few months ago, I did some major surgery on a Compaq Presario with AMD CPU.
The motherboard bit the dust due to dust and dirt inside the case. The power
supply was ATX, but I ended up replacing the case and power supply, installing a
generic motherboard in the replacement case, and moving everything else over to
the new case. It worked out because I was able to adjust all the Windows
drivers without too much trouble.

I recommend replacing the case and power supply while you're at it... Ben Myers

Old January 25th 05, 02:51 PM
HH

Unless you feel comfortable cracking the plastic connector on the front
panel wiring harness to try to fit with a different pin arrangement on the
new motherboard, forget it. And that's if you can find a board with the same
I/O port configuration on the back.
HH

. ..

Old January 26th 05, 03:18 AM

I've done it and its not as hard as everyone here makes it sound. 5000
series is a fairly nice case and a decent power supply. It is a real
ATX supply. If you buy the MB new you will have a matching back plane.
If you buy it used and the existing backplane dosn't work, just go
without. The biggest problem you are going to have is (like everyone
said) is the front panel connector. All you really need on the front
is the powerswitch wires.

I'm not looking at one now, but if you are even halfway proficient at
wiring you should be able to make it work, espically if you ignore the
front USB and pretty lights. One trick I've used is to split the
harness w/ a razor blade to make individual pins.

NewEgg.com has this board:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...185-036&depa=0

for dirt cheap. I installed one of these today for a customer (similar
situation Gateway PC was dead and I needed a MB for cheap that would
support a duron 800) . Match that to a sempron processor and 256mb of
RAM and you will be flying

Old January 29th 05, 07:57 PM
Al

that's fantastic, just what I was wanting. I've spent a good deal of time
researching, after the pointers you gave, then settled on the Sempron 2400.
How does that cpu, at 1.66GHz, compare to a Celeron at say, 2.0?

BTw, I have a PcChips MB in the computer I'm on now, and never had a problem
with it.

Would I have to reinstall '98 for the new MB?

Old January 30th 05, 06:22 PM

Al wrote:
that's fantastic, just what I was wanting. I've spent a good deal of

time
researching, after the pointers you gave, then settled on the Sempron

2400.
How does that cpu, at 1.66GHz, compare to a Celeron at say, 2.0?

BTw, I have a PcChips MB in the computer I'm on now, and never had a

problem
with it.

Would I have to reinstall '98 for the new MB?

On the reinstall, I would say yes, just because it will help 98 be more
stable. Most likely you can get away with just a swap out, and
reinstall all the new chipset drivers, but you price for doing that is
stability of the OS.

Sempron 2400 vs. Celeron D. Humm, I am not really sure, but I'd guess
that they were most likely comparable. It dosn't sound like you are
trying to build a gaming or video editing machine. So then price
becomes the issues, and the Sempron wins totally.

Old February 4th 05, 05:32 AM
Al

On 25 Jan 2005 18:18:20 -0800, wrote:

I've done it and its not as hard as everyone here makes it sound. 5000
series is a fairly nice case and a decent power supply. It is a real
ATX supply. If you buy the MB new you will have a matching back plane.
If you buy it used and the existing backplane dosn't work, just go
without. The biggest problem you are going to have is (like everyone
said) is the front panel connector. All you really need on the front
is the powerswitch wires.

NewEgg.com has this board:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...185-036&depa=0

for dirt cheap. I installed one of these today for a customer (similar
situation Gateway PC was dead and I needed a MB for cheap that would
support a duron 800) . Match that to a sempron processor and 256mb of
RAM and you will be flying

the PSU is dps-200pb-103e 250Watt

It has neither the 2x2 ATX12V, nor the 6-pin AUX connector. I see some vendors
describing it as an AT power supply. But elsewhere, I see it said that since
it has 5v (and it does, according to its label), then it must be ATX. The main
power connector is indeed a 20-pin ATX connector.

But without the auxilliary power output cables, can it still run a Sempron
2400+ in the board that you reference above? Thanks.