A7N8X - Page Fault Errors When I added a 3rd 512MB Memory Stick

Old December 24th 03, 05:05 AM
Amy L.

Default A7N8X - Page Fault Errors When I added a 3rd 512MB Memory Stick

I have an A7N8X board that is currently loaded with 2x512MB Sticks of
RAM in Slot 1 & 3 to utilize the dual channel feature. The frequency
is configured for 166MHZ.

The machine runs an application called "Webtrends Reporting Center"
from NETIQ. It is VERY memory intensive. It runs completly fine with
1GB of memory, but tends to slow down since it runs out of physical
and has to dip into the pagefile a lot.

Now I purchased a third stick of the same memory and added it into
slot 2. Sure enough once Webtrends gets into processing with the
1.5GB of ram I start getting the following error message in a BSOD.
"PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA" - NTOSKRNL Address 80435CF2 BASE
80400000 3ee62002

I suspected bad ram. However, if I remove the new slot 2 chip and
swap it with the slot 1 chip and only run the system with 1GB there is
absolutly no problems.

Now my questions a

1.) Does this still seem like a memory problem?
2.) If I am running with three chips in the system do I have to change
anything?
3.) What else could be wrong?
4.) Application problem?
5.) General thoughts of things to try.

Thanks
Amy
Old December 24th 03, 02:05 PM
Kev

You can't have dual channel mode with ram in all three slots.
If you want to you have to have the 512's in 1 and 2 and a 1 gig one in 3

Old December 24th 03, 02:58 PM
Ron

Not correct. ( the manual) D/C mode will be utilized with RAM in all
three slots.

Amy - to address your questions in order:

(1) Yes. Your OP was a bit ambiguous about testing the new stick. When you
said:

"...if I remove the new slot 2 chip and swap it with the slot 1 chip and
only run the system with 1GB there is absolutly no problems."

It sounds like you removed the new stick, and inserted one of the old sticks
in slot #2...and it ran OK. Is this correct? If so, then you have not yet
verified that the new stick is OK. What happens if you insert the new stick
in slot #3, and leave one of the old sticks out temporarily?

Also, I'm assuming that all three sticks are identical as to manufacturer
and specs (?)

(2) No.
(3) See above
(4) Unlikely
(5) See above

HTH - Let us know, OK?
Ron

Old December 24th 03, 05:09 PM
callsignviper

"Kev" wrote in message
You can't have dual channel mode with ram in all three slots.
If you want to you have to have the 512's in 1 and 2 and a 1 gig one in 3

Hmmmm.........my ASUS A7N8X Deluxe manual says the following on page 14:

"NOTE: To enhance system performance, utilize dual-channel feature when
installing additional DIMMs. You may install the DIMMs in the following
sequence: Sockets 1 and 3 or Sockets 2 and 3 or Sockets 1, 2 and 3."

I have to wonder who the "****face" is now?!?!

To the OP there are 2 notes about DIMMs on Page 13 that may or may not apply
to your situation.

From Page 13:

"DIMMs with more than 18 chips are not supported" and "DIMMs with more than
8 devices on each side of the module are not supported."

If neither applies to your situation you might try raising the DDR Reference
Voltage in BIOS to see if that helps to stabilize your system.

BTW: What brand and wattage is your power supply?

--
callsignviper

The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
the right questions.

Old December 24th 03, 05:09 PM
kronk

Get your facts right

Old December 24th 03, 05:16 PM
kronk

Wise ASS

Old December 24th 03, 05:27 PM
Ben Pope

Ron wrote:
Not correct. ( the manual) D/C mode will be utilized with RAM in all
three slots.

Indeed.

You can get Dual Channel with ANY combination of 2 or more DIMMs. Just make
sure that one of them is n Slot 3.

The DIMMs do NOT need to be matched in terms of manufacturer, quantity,
speed, timings etc, they merely need to be supported by the board.

Ben

Old December 24th 03, 07:30 PM
Amy L.

Ron,

To clairify.

I removed the new stick from slot 2. I then removed one of the
existing chips from slot 1. I then placed the new chip (which was in
slot 2) into slot 1. So at this point I only have 2 chips in the
system (the new one, and one of the old ones). I hope this makes
sense.

Yes, the RAM is all Kingston same part number purchased from the same
company. Although the new 512MB was purchased approximaly one week
later than the orginial 2.

This is why I am hesitant to classify this as a memory problem since
the system is working fine with the new stick and one of the old
sticks.

Any thoughts?
Amy.

Old December 24th 03, 07:47 PM
Ron

Jeepers. (Merry Christmas & thanks to those that deserve it, BTW.)

Amy - you clarified the situation nicely. Since the RAM is all the same
p/n, and hopefully (?) the approved type [KVR400X64]...then I think it's
safe to assume the issue is something *other than* memory sticks.
Unfortunately I am now at a bit of a loss. Rather than throwing out
guesses, I'd rather defer to others who have shown themselves to be more
knowledgeable in this arena.

Luckily, some of those people are already following this thread. Gentlemen?

Still watching...
Ron

Old December 24th 03, 08:20 PM
Ron

oops - omitted the "C25" from the end of the p/n.