Won't come out of standby?

Old March 21st 07, 05:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Kenny

Default Won't come out of standby?

Posted this problem some time ago in another group but it was never
resolved, trying again here.
PC appears to be coming out of Standby, there's HDD activity and the green
On LED is lit but nothing appears on the screen.
Normal Startup, Shutdown, Restart & Hibernate all working OK.
Things I have tried so far include:
Different monitor.
Both XP and Samsung driver for SyncMaster 940BF 19" TFT.
Both the original and latest nVidia Forceware drivers for graphics card, a
Club 3D
GeForce 6600.
Both the original and most recent chipset drivers for m/b which is a
Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939.
Flashed the BIOS.
Formatted and re-installed XP Pro/SP2 twice and that appears to fix it but
the fault seems to creep back in, it doesn't appear suddenly.
Been through all the power options in Windows and in BIOS.
No problems showing in Device Manager and Event Viewer shows nothing
unusual.
Am I looking at maybe a failing m/b or graphics card?
Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

Kenny

Old March 21st 07, 09:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
lkboop

Kenny wrote:
[...]

I would do a search on the Microsoft Website, since "formating and
reinstalling XP Pro appears to fix problem" but it seems to creep back
in. This might be a know problem. I don't think you have a failing MB or
video card. If you do why would reloading the operating system have any
effect on the problem?
Old March 21st 07, 10:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Kenny

Thanks for the suggestion, will give it a try.
What appears to be happening is that the video card is not "waking up" from
Standby.
Am I correct in saying that in Standby current display settings etc. are
stored in RAM? If so could the problem be in that direction?

Kenny

Old April 5th 07, 04:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Kilgore Trout Jr.

I gave up on trying to fix this problem on my ageing GA-8KNXP. At least you
have the option of using "hibernate." On my machine I get the blue screen of
death when I try to use hibernate. As in your case, I know "standby" used to
work just great, but now the machine wakes up without video. I too tried
reverting back to earlier video drivers without any luck. Someone once
claimed he solved this problem by removing and reinstalling his Sound
Blaster sound card, but by then I'd gotten tired of fooling with it and just
decided to live without that particular feature. I hope you have better
luck!

om...

Old April 8th 07, 03:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Kenny

I reinstalled virtually all my drivers, chipset, video card, even printer,
scanner, soundcard etc. using the latest available.
It has fixed the problem and standby now works as it should.
It was almost certainly a driver problem but can't say which particular ones
or if it was a conflict between drivers.
I do have a Creative SB Live 5.1 soundcard.

--

Kenny
"Kilgore Trout Jr." wrote in message
I gave up on trying to fix this problem on my ageing GA-8KNXP. At least you
have the option of using "hibernate." On my machine I get the blue screen
of death when I try to use hibernate. As in your case, I know "standby"
used to work just great, but now the machine wakes up without video. I too
tried reverting back to earlier video drivers without any luck. Someone
once claimed he solved this problem by removing and reinstalling his Sound
Blaster sound card, but by then I'd gotten tired of fooling with it and
just decided to live without that particular feature. I hope you have
better luck!

om...

Old April 9th 07, 11:55 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Davy

The way things work you get bios boot, this boot's the video card and
hands over control to the cpu which then tell the hard drive to load
windows and start up progs. into RAM (as well as the driver for the
graphic card).

Think I'd look at the graphic card myself, power unit another
possibility, I assume that you have removed both RAM and graphic card
and re-seated them.

Could also be the CPU that needs re-seating as I call it, but do leave
this til the very, very last... not a matter of pulling it out and
re-fitting it. It is vital you clean all the old heatsink paste of
from both surfaces and without scratches... just gotta use new stuff
(Arctic Silver is one) on one surface only... just a very small smear
on one surface only - not like greasing a gear box on a wagon.

For bios boot up all you need is the CPU, RAM and graphic card only,
BSOD, is a computers form of Amnesia... the memory can't cope, you've
got memory in the CPU, RAM and Graphic card's... it could also be due
to failure of the power to them... power supply.

Bad caps in Mobos see...
http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/index27.htm ....

and a nifty little flow chart... (start from the power supply chart -
select the charts on the left hand side)....
http://www.fonerbooks.com/ide_hd.htm

BTW. you can have bad caps on the Graphics as well don't forget.

Taken from the Reference link section in Computer Help Desk

Davy

Old April 9th 07, 02:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Kilgore Trout Jr.

Way to go! In view of your success, I may fool with this a little more. My
machine wakes up fine from S1 standby, but of course the cooling fans all
keep running and the machine wakes up if you bump the mouse or touch a key.
In the more useful S3 standby, everything shuts down. I always thought it
was just the video that wasn't waking up from S3 standby, but I've just
found that the built-in Intel Pro/1000 network adapter doesn't wake up
either. Having woken my machine from S3 and finding I had no video, I
thought I'd try using Remote Desktop to reboot it from another PC on my LAN.
That's when I discovered the network was also not functional. I'll have to
reinstall some of the other drivers and see what happens.

"Kenny" wrote in message
om...
I reinstalled virtually all my drivers, chipset, video card, even printer,
scanner, soundcard etc. using the latest available.
It has fixed the problem and standby now works as it should.
It was almost certainly a driver problem but can't say which particular
ones or if it was a conflict between drivers.
I do have a Creative SB Live 5.1 soundcard.

--

Kenny

A8S-X = NO S3 standby Arne Sturm Asus Motherboards 1 August 20th 06 10:29 PM
Standby ET Asus Motherboards 2 July 5th 06 01:44 PM
s3 standby. Chris Hill Homebuilt PC's 0 January 3rd 06 04:49 AM
No standby with RT.X10 Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\) Matrox Videocards 3 October 8th 04 07:32 PM
Help: Cannot go into standby Random Electron Ati Videocards 0 December 12th 03 01:27 PM