Replace

Old February 2nd 07, 05:00 PM
Avar Avar is offline
Junior Member

Default Replace

Can I replace broken asus condensators with new abit???
or i need to buy new mb?

_________________
Proactiv Solution world cup cricket shirts
Poker Bonus Codes Play Online Poker

Last edited by Avar : August 31st 07 at 08:09 AM.
Old February 2nd 07, 10:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Venom

"Avar" wrote in message

Can I replace broken asus condensators with new abit???
or i need to buy new mb?

What is a condensator?

--
Avar

Old February 2nd 07, 11:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ron Krebs

"Venom" wrote in message

"Avar" wrote in message

Can I replace broken asus condensators with new abit???
or i need to buy new mb?

What is a condensator?

I sincerely hope he doesn't mean capacitors. If so, that would be jumping
out of the frying pan and into the fire by going to Abit. You all remember
what happened with their capacitors awhile back.

Ron

Old February 2nd 07, 11:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
DaveW

No, you cannot switch parts from one motherboard to another. Time for a new
motherboard.

--
DaveW

----------------

Old February 3rd 07, 01:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Barry Watzman

Wrong answer.

IF he means capacitors, sure they can be replaced. I'm not sure why he
would want an "ABit capacitor", but in any case, assuming that the
capacitor is good, it would work .... even if it was removed as a used
part from another motherboard, it would work, IF it was a good part and
if he didn't damage it in the process of removing it.

That said, in electronics, a capacitor is a very generic part. So the
question is kind of like asking "Can I replace a 6-32x1/2" screw from my
Chevrolet with one from my Ford?". The answer might well be yes, you
could do that, but it would make much more sense just to go to a
hardware store and buy a new 6-32x1/2" screw.

But, in any case, replacing a motherboard because a capacitor is bad is
kind of like replacing a car because a tire became punctured. Why would
you replace a $150 {or whatever} motherboard because a 79-cent part is bad?

Old February 3rd 07, 09:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

"Barry Watzman" wrote in message
[...]

Your analogy is a poor one. How much would it cost to get a capacitor fitted
_professionally_ (assuming that you found someone to do it)?

Old February 3rd 07, 11:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Venom

snip

DaveW wrote:
No, you cannot switch parts from one motherboard to another. Time for

new motherboard.

You can switch caps from one board to another but they would have to be an
exact match for the one you are replacing. It is hard to buy those old caps
these days and if one is leaking then the rest will soon follow. Some guys
skilled in soldering have replaced caps but why would you bother? The other
post is very accurate too because if you have to pay to have this work done
then replacing it will be much cheaper.

Old February 4th 07, 07:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Davy

A little knowledge is required to replace components on a mobo with a
reasonable amount of soldering ability.

Gotta remember to use low ESR 105 deg C. types... 125 deg C. types
are are available.... use either Rubycon Low ESR or Panasonic FC types
or better, available from many electronic component supplier.

Do not use standard type's, they will fail in a very
short period of time...! They must have the same value
usually in uF, the voltage rating can be higher but not lower and must
be the same size.

Don't forget they are polarised and need to be connected the right way
round, too big a soldering iron will damage the board.

These are multi-layer board's... no, no I don't mean double sided....!
To clean the plated through hole's I like to use a thin steel
needle... using wire to clean the holes is bound to damage the board
because the solder will stick to the wire.

The iron ought not to be greater than 15 Watts,

But are we really sure...?
What if he mean's SMD ceramic or SMD electrolytic capacitors.....
how are they broken...? These devils do fall off and are easily
damaged by rough handling, hence the question.

See-: Bad cap's in mobo's
http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/index27.htm is this what you
mean..?

Unless one has a reasonable amount of experience I'd be inclined to
take DaveW advice on getting a new mobo if one can't get new parts,
different mobo's will have different parts.. hi temperature standard
type, hi temperature low ESR type.... they look the same but marked
different.

Davy

Old February 4th 07, 10:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

"Davy" wrote in message
A little knowledge is required to replace components on a mobo with a
reasonable amount of soldering ability.

Gotta remember to use low ESR 105 deg C. types... 125 deg C. types
are are available.... use either Rubycon Low ESR or Panasonic FC types
or better, available from many electronic component supplier.

Do not use standard type's, they will fail in a very
short period of time...! They must have the same value
usually in uF, the voltage rating can be higher but not lower and must
be the same size.

Don't forget they are polarised and need to be connected the right way
round, too big a soldering iron will damage the board.

These are multi-layer board's... no, no I don't mean double sided....!

To clean the plated through hole's I like to use a thin steel
needle...

Questions:
Why won't solder stick to the needle?
What kind of needle is it?
What metal is it made of?
How exactly do you use the needle and soldering iron?

using wire to clean the holes is bound to damage the board
because the solder will stick to the wire.

The iron ought not to be greater than 15 Watts,

But are we really sure...?
What if he mean's SMD ceramic or SMD electrolytic capacitors.....
how are they broken...? These devils do fall off and are easily
damaged by rough handling, hence the question.

He did mean full size radial electrolytics.

See-: Bad cap's in mobo's
http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/index27.htm is this what you
mean..?

Thanks for that website.

Unless one has a reasonable amount of experience I'd be inclined to
take DaveW advice on getting a new mobo if one can't get new parts,
different mobo's will have different parts.. hi temperature standard
type, hi temperature low ESR type.... they look the same but marked
different.

Yes, it is essential to get the correct replacement components. Thanks for
reminding us about this easily forgotten point.

Sylvain.

Davy

Old February 4th 07, 07:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Barry Watzman

There is no reason to assume that the caps would have to be an exact
match. It would help to have a schematic, but they are probably power
supply filter caps, which are not critical at all. Keep in mind, the
board is working with the capacitor in question not even present at all.

snip