GA-7VA Boot Problem

Old March 31st 07, 03:55 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Jack

Default GA-7VA Boot Problem

My son has a GA-7VA Motherboard with an Antec Plus 660 Case. The system will
power up, but the display will not sync up. The small green button on the
case continously flashes and the system never boots up. This is a three year
old system with an AMD 2000+ CPU. I have removed the display card and
reseated the card and the one memory chip.

Could someone recommend other things for me to try to troubleshoot. I have
not removed the CPU chip from the motherboard and hope I don't have to. The
fans are all working and I vacuumed the system as best as I can. Could this
be a Power Supply problem?

Old March 31st 07, 08:19 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
John Hardaker

"Jack" wrote in message
My son has a GA-7VA Motherboard with an Antec Plus 660 Case. The system
will power up, but the display will not sync up. The small green button on
the case continously flashes and the system never boots up. This is a
three year old system with an AMD 2000+ CPU. I have removed the display
card and reseated the card and the one memory chip.

Could someone recommend other things for me to try to troubleshoot. I have
not removed the CPU chip from the motherboard and hope I don't have to.
The fans are all working and I vacuumed the system as best as I can. Could
this be a Power Supply problem?

This is a nice board.
There should be two lights: one for the power supply to show it is on and
another to show that the hard drive is being accessed. You do not say if you
get the boot up screen (BIOS). I think you say that nothing appears on the
screen. You need to try another, known good graphics card or test yours in
another machine; two computers can be very handy. Have you a computer friend
with a spare card. If you have the book with the board look for the reset
pins for the BIOS - you short them together. If you don't have the book it
can be downloaded from Gigabyte for which you need a second computer or
friend who is on the net. If you can read this then you have a second
computer already. If it is not the card then repeat the process with the
power supply although a test power supply may not be so easy to find. If it
is not the card or power supply it may be the hard drive. If you get the
BIOS and just the flashing light (hard drive access) and the power supply
light is on try a hard drive test program such as PowerMax. Many hard drive
makers have a test program you can download; it goes on a floppy with which
you need that second computer again. Experienced - had a few crashes -
computer users have all this kind of stuff in their 'toolbox'.

Old March 31st 07, 11:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
davy

I use the same mobo...

Could I suggest try a couple of things, try unplugging the power cord
for 2 minutes or so and then try rebooting. if that dosen't help.. then
removing the bios back up battery could help, *but doing this will set
the bios to its default settings and would have to be reset these in
the bios set up screen afterwards. * You'll get no boot up if this 3
volt battery is duff so swapping it 'may be' the best approach this
only fit's one way of course.

As you say the power supply could also be the cause... you'll get bios
boot with just the CPU, RAM and graphic card connected, so it could be
any of these items and indeed the mobo.

What happens is when you press the power button the bios does a quick
test known as POST (Power On Self Test) if ok it'll give that single ok
bleep, then hands over control to the CPU and the CPU then orders the
hard drive to load windows and any start up programmes into RAM.. and
away you go.

For some strange reason one GA7VA I have, if I have a power cut or
disconnected the main power cord (ie switch off) I have to go through a
little routine to get it to boot...

I have to apply the main power press the power button, then unplug or
swutch off the main power and then 'presto' it boots up at the second
attempt... as though the 'power good signal' is too fast for the power
supply. See this flow chart which may also help-:

*Computer diagnosis charts - PSU, Hard drive & Cd Rom etc*
'Hard Drive Failure Diagnostics - Troubleshooting IDE CD, DVD and Hard
Drive Problems' (http://www.fonerbooks.com/ide_hd.htm) and a after
thought make sure the fans are running especially the Northbridge, which
is a small gold one near the CPU, I think all GA-7VA has these and look
out for these-:

*Bad cap's in mobo's*
'Don Davidson Computer / Bad Capacitors in System Boards'
(http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/index27.htm) these are taken from
the sections of 'Computer help desk' on HTFC and the link for this is
http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=48

Davy

Old April 1st 07, 01:11 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Davy

[...]

[b:55946c45d9]Computer diagnosis charts - PSU, Hard drive & Cd Rom
etc[/b:55946c45d9]
http://www.fonerbooks.com/ide_hd.htm and a after thought make sure the
fans are running especially the Northbridge, which is a small gold one
near the CPU, I think all GA-7VA has these and look out for these-:
[color=blue:55946c45d9]
[b:55946c45d9]Bad cap's in mobo's[/b:55946c45d9][/color:55946c45d9]

Old April 1st 07, 06:32 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Jack

"Davy" wrote in message
[...]

Guys, I went out and purchased another power supply and everything is okay
now. The only thing that's different is that I'm missing a 3 pin cable that
connects to the System Fan junction on the motherboard. The power supply did
not come with this cable as an option. I just ordered one via the internet
and this should bring me back to the original setup.

Old April 2nd 07, 01:40 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Davy

Good one Jack... happy computing.

Davy

Old April 10th 07, 04:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
David[_6_]

I have a Gigabyte 7VRXP with an XP2000+ CPU and have had similar problems on
and off. Bloody annoying I must say !!!

Typically you would boot up and it would lock up when loading Windows. Then
when you would reset it and it might reset OK or maybe keep on resetting
itself etc. Sometimes it would reset itself or even turn itself off etc.
Sometimes when turning it on, the screen would be blank with no POST etc and
you wouild have to hardware reset it several times before it came good :-(

Possible solutions (maybe different for your board)

There are two electrolytic capacitors at the back of the motherboard near
the yellow DB15 game connector. Check that their tops are not bulging. If
they are then they will need replacing. Check the other electrolytic
capacitors for bulging or leakage from the top.

If using more than one ram module make sure they are matching speed grades.
ie dont use PC2100 with PC2700 Ram.

In the BIOS don't run RAM speed using 'AUTO'. Always set it to 266MHz even
if your RAM can handle higher clock rates. I have PC2700 RAM and had the
BIOS set to AUTO and it was causing no end of problems such as not booting
up or resetting properly. When I set it back to 266Mhz it runs like a charm
I believe there is a bug in the VIA KT333 chipset ;(

regards
david

Old April 11th 07, 01:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
davy

David;32005 Wrote:

There are two electrolytic capacitors at the back of the motherboard
near
the yellow DB15 game connector. Check that their tops are not bulging.
If
they are then they will need replacing. Check the other electrolytic
capacitors for bulging or leakage from the top.

I understand that these was in the rev1 mobo they were up graded in
rev2 versions - I have the rev1 and yes I replaced the very two, think
they were 1200uF @ 6.3V, I used Panasonic 105deg C low esr FC type...
I never had any problems with them, just that I don't like seeing
distressed 'caps'..

... nor do I have any problems if I used the auto setting in bios and I
too use a AMD 2000+, now then back to these caps.... apparently due to
industrial espionage... see-:

'Component Problems: Taiwan Low ESR Radial Aluminum Electrolytic
Capacitors' (http://www.niccomp.com/taiwanlowesr.htm) More interesting
reading
'Hushed-Up Disaster Dept. - Columns by PC Magazine'
(http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,939887,00.asp) and what bad cap's
look like see 'Don Davidson Computer / Bad Capacitors in System Boards'
(http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/index27.htm)

Don't get dissapointed guy's... we have replaced them in TV's, Video's
& Digi boxe's so it just ain't computers .

It's only certain GSC type's (or was it GCS), and effected only cap's
from Taiwan, Japanese type's are NOT effected.

Davy

Old April 11th 07, 08:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Davy

Follow this link to the new board and you will see further replies to
this post.
http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/for...html#post32683
You'll find some interesting reading.

Davy

Old April 16th 07, 12:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
David[_6_]

Thought I had the problems licked but unfortunately still have the problems
with random rebooting, screen going blank when booting into windows, and
system locking up in windows :-(

OK so this time I run memtest86 and get lots of errors. Sometimes running
this test does not give any errors at all which makes things tricky :-(

So I take the Rambo PC2700 512M stick out of the system and replace it with
my original 2 x 256 PC2100 Elixir sticks.

Along with the 1G PC2700 Kingston stick I still have 1.5G in my system.

So I run memtest86 again and sure enough I get errors :-(

So I have taken out the 2 x Elixir sticks and just left the remaining
kingston 1G in the system. Set the BIOS for 333MHz operation and it runs
without any glitches so far, but still a lot of testing to go to make sure.

Early conclusion is that this board(GA-7VRXP Rev1.1) does not like a mixture
of different branded RAMS even if they are the same speed grade. To think
back, the original system with the two identical 256M Elixir sticks never
gave any trouble. Only when I added the Rambo 512 stick I started having
problems although this did not occur straight away. It is possible that
something on the mother board has deteriorated and is causing the problems
or maybe extra software and OS updates has caused a different load on the
memory system thus exposing the fault ;-)

regards
david