What is dvd+R format good for?

Old January 4th 04, 03:54 AM
Brendan R. Wehrung

Default What is dvd+R format good for?

"lbbs" (lbbs @dadffo.ca) writes:
Is there a good web site that explains all the different formats +/-
I need it mostly for storage of digital pictures, but would like to
occasionally back up some of our kids dvd movies. I found
a cheap dvd+R for sale and am not sure if it would suite my needs. tx

Having just bought a computer that includes a DVD/CD+ writer, I'd like to
ask if formats are set enough to consider saving anything. I took it
because it came with the computer and "+" disks are supposed to play on
most DVD players, but what about 5 years from now?

Brendan

Old January 4th 04, 04:13 AM
Troy

5 years from now it won't matter as there will be a new format with new
media.

You can't live for tomorrow with computer formats anymore.

Good Luck

Old January 4th 04, 04:26 AM
shadow self

Try this one: http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#4.3

Old January 4th 04, 04:31 AM

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 22:54:17 -0500, "lbbs" lbbs @dadffo.ca wrote:

Is there a good web site that explains all the different formats +/-
I need it mostly for storage of digital pictures, but would like to
occasionally back up some of our kids dvd movies. I found
a cheap dvd+R for sale and am not sure if it would suite my needs. tx

Doesnt really matter. It matter more if the media is decent or
cheapo.

I got a stack of white vinyl top COMPUSA 10 packs on sale over Xmas
and they were the first really horrendous disks Ive used with a DVD
wirter. Maybe they work on some others but I got a lot of errors ,
disks that had huge problems.

I looked at them before throwing them away and noticed the DVD disks
are made much thinner than CDRs. The CDRs are heavy stiff plastic ,
brittle and very hard with a foil top. The DVD was very thin and
flexible - felt really cheap. When I bent it slight the top layer came
off. It was another thin flexible plastic layer. They separated. The
thin plastic easily cracked . The entire construction seemed really
cheap though the top did seem like one vinyl thin piece so that it was
more resistant to scratch damage vs, the CDR tops made of a foil
tissue layer.

Old January 4th 04, 05:19 AM
CJ

Hi,

the 3 main formats to consider are :-

Released in 1998 by Pioneer DVD-R is a write once media that is readable
in most DVD drives. First release of the disk was in a 3.95GB capacity
but this was soon improved to the 4.7GB that is available now. There are
two versions of DVD-R, a professional and a general use format. The
professional version differs in that it incorporates a pre-recorded
control area.
This format is used to master DVD-Video and DVD-ROMs
Neither of the DVD-R formats is being seriously promoted as a domestic
product due to the media not being re-writable.
Don't get confused with DVD-R, a DVD-R recorder will only record to
DVD-R disks but DVD-R disks can be written to with DVR-RW writers as
well.

DVD-RW Developed by Pioneer based on DVD-R, using similar track pitch,
mark length, and rotation control, DVD-RW is playable in many DVD drives
and players. (Some drives and players are confused by DVD-RW media's
lower reflectivity into thinking it's a dual-layer disc). Capacity is
4.7 GB. DVD-RW discs can be rewritten about 1,000 times.
DVD-RW can also write to DVD-R disks and write to CD's.
Random data access is not as capable as DVD+RW
One of the inconviences of DVD-RW is that you can only record once per
session, If you wanted to add a video clip to an existing disk you would
have to re-record the whole disk again. It is claimed though that the
disks can be written to over a 1000 times.
This format is probably most useful for the storage of a complete video
film that is to be played on a domestic DVD player.

With support from Hewlet Packard, Mitsubishi, Philips, Ricoh, Sony and
Yamaha (who between them have over 75% of the CD market) DVD+RW has some
serious backing, added to this DVD+RW disks are playable in domestic DVD
players and PC DVD readers and this may well become the format of choice
for the home user.
As a home format it has several big plus points on its side, it can be
written to just like a floppy disk by dragging and dropping files onto
it. The disk formatting procedure takes place in the background so you
can start recording straight away (DVD-RW can take up to an hour to
format before you can record). DVD+RW disks can be written to over 1000
times
The Recordable DVD Council, probably because of the fear of piracy, does
not support DVD+RW. However, whether this has any bearing on its success
has yet to be seen.

CJ

Old January 4th 04, 05:36 AM
ICee

CJ wrote:
[...]

I.E., make sure you get a DVD+-RW (one that does all the varieties of
DVD's).

Old January 4th 04, 10:01 PM
Louise

In article ,
lid says...
[...]

I really appreciate the clarity of your post and as a
result, I have another question:

CD RWs are usually considered unreliable for long term data
storage and generally more likely to degrade. Is this also
true for DVD RWs (+ or -)?

I have the new Plextor that can do + or -, RW or R.

I want to create DVDs of photos, jpgs mostly, that can be
played in a regular DVD drive and maybe even on a home DVD
player - which DVD format disk should I use and how should
I "finish" it?

At the moment, if it's relevant, I'm using Instant CD/DVD
by Pinnacle, which I love because it allows for long file
names.

Thanks
--
Louise )
Old January 5th 04, 04:29 AM

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 22:54:17 -0500, "lbbs" lbbs @dadffo.ca wrote:

Is there a good web site that explains all the different formats +/-
I need it mostly for storage of digital pictures, but would like to
occasionally back up some of our kids dvd movies. I found
a cheap dvd+R for sale and am not sure if it would suite my needs. tx

For most people no difference. Most writers now are dual format. Its
just two competing formats.

In the past youd see tons of - boosters who said it was vastly more
comaptible than + and theyd point out - was way cheaper. From what
Ive seen its pretty close - I really havent had any problems with
either format. Its more about the media quality and type - particular
disk + burner compatible with the player than any particular format.