OT : Office licensing

Old August 25th 05, 01:02 PM
ComPCs

Default OT : Office licensing

I am looking to 'upgrade' from Office 2000 to Office 2003, and was
wondering about the licensing arrangement for this, in respect that I
have a desktop PC and a laptop.

AIUI, so long as the user for each machine is the same person, you can
install a 2nd installation, in my case, on the laptop, and not be in
'breach' of the EULA.

Can anyone confirm this?
Old August 25th 05, 01:14 PM
Conor

In article , ComPCs
says...

I am looking to 'upgrade' from Office 2000 to Office 2003, and was
wondering about the licensing arrangement for this, in respect that I
have a desktop PC and a laptop.

AIUI, so long as the user for each machine is the same person, you can
install a 2nd installation, in my case, on the laptop, and not be in
'breach' of the EULA.

Can anyone confirm this?

Good luck. Office Product Activation will be an issue.

--
Conor

The child is grown, the dream is gone.
I have become comfortably numb. - Pink Floyd
Old August 25th 05, 02:12 PM
Paul H

this is correct for a single copy. Providing both are not used at the same
time, you can install on your two machines and activate without any
problems. The EULA that I read specifically allowed dual instances in the
circumstances described.

Old August 25th 05, 02:30 PM
ric

I seem to recall that O2K allowed you explicitly in the EULA to install
it on a desktop AND a laptop provided both were used by the same person
(i.e. you didn't put it on a mates). Don't have an O2K3 EULA to
compare it to, but it's possibly the same.

Old August 25th 05, 04:28 PM
Tim S Kemp

Paul H wrote:
this is correct for a single copy. Providing both are not used at
the same time, you can install on your two machines and activate
without any problems. The EULA that I read specifically allowed dual
instances in the circumstances described.

It does not AFAIK apply to OEM licenses though, only select and retail.

--
re-configure the solar matrix in parallel for endothermic propulsion

Old August 25th 05, 09:04 PM
Martin Milan

ComPCs wrote in
t:

I am looking to 'upgrade' from Office 2000 to Office 2003, and was
wondering about the licensing arrangement for this, in respect that I
have a desktop PC and a laptop.

AIUI, so long as the user for each machine is the same person, you can
install a 2nd installation, in my case, on the laptop, and not be in
'breach' of the EULA.

Can anyone confirm this?

Do yourself a favour and consider the alternative. I dropped Microsoft
Office in favour of OpenOffice.org, which is free, and once I got to
know my way around it, in my view, better...

Check out www.openoffice.org

Martin.
Old August 27th 05, 09:43 PM

Martin Milan wrote:
Do yourself a favour and consider the alternative. I dropped Microsoft
Office in favour of OpenOffice.org, which is free, and once I got to
know my way around it, in my view, better...

I would agree with every word of that. I'd also suggest Ragtime, which
is really a document layout programme with WP & Spreadsheet
integration, (they do a free-for-non-commerical version called Solo)
and looking at Word Perfect, which I thought was the better suite all
along. On the KDE desktop Koffice is good, but not as good as
commercial software.

http://www.ragtime-online.com/
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...oducts/Display
http://www.koffice.org/

OOo is a superb product, and version 2 is about to go to 2nd Beta. I
am very impressed by it. I really like Ragtime, once you have worked
out what direction it is approaching from.