Anybody speak Microsoft?

Old March 4th 14, 06:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
John Doe

Default Anybody speak Microsoft?

Microsoft's "SkyDrive" has been renamed to "OneDrive".
Maybe something to do with oneness.

I have a shared folder with these options...

View Only

Anyone with this link can see the files you share

Edit

Anyone with this link can edit the files you share

Public

Anyone can search for and view your public files, even if you don't
share a link

Question...

Even though the word "download" isn't mentioned one single time in
all of that, should we assume that "share" means "allow others to
download"?

Anyone who has downloaded a file can edit the file. So I guess we're
supposed to assume that "edit" means "download, edit, and upload".

I could use a Microsoft dictionary...

Old March 4th 14, 06:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Paul

John Doe wrote:
Microsoft's "SkyDrive" has been renamed to "OneDrive".
Maybe something to do with oneness.

I have a shared folder with these options...

View Only

Anyone with this link can see the files you share

Edit

Anyone with this link can edit the files you share

Public

Anyone can search for and view your public files, even if you don't
share a link

Question...

Even though the word "download" isn't mentioned one single time in
all of that, should we assume that "share" means "allow others to
download"?

Anyone who has downloaded a file can edit the file. So I guess we're
supposed to assume that "edit" means "download, edit, and upload".

I could use a Microsoft dictionary...

Documents are private by default.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/on.../onedrive.aspx

Paul
Old March 4th 14, 07:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
John Doe

Paul nospam needed.com wrote:

John Doe wrote:

[...]

That's correct, but I'm talking about a "shared folder".

On that page further down, you will see the obscure terminology
referring to sharing of files in your shared folder. I guess
Microsoft is thinking about text documents that you might view
right there on the site. That terminology is just weird when
applied to files in general.
Old March 4th 14, 11:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 2:48:28 AM UTC+8, John Doe wrote:
Microsoft's "SkyDrive" has been renamed to "OneDrive".

Maybe something to do with oneness.

The more I read John "D'OH!" the dumber I get...

The name "OneDrive" was chosen due to a trademark dispute.

As for the rest of D'Oh's post, it is trivial and uninteresting, like the man himself...

RL
Old March 5th 14, 03:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
BobbyM

John Doe wrote:

[...]

The definitions on that page refer only to files on your skydrive (now
"onedrive") account.

It gives you the option to allow people to edit your online documents
(while they are online) - this is especially beneficial in a work
environment where several people are working on the same project and/or
when someone needs to review & comment on your document. While I
believe they can download the document, they can't upload a replacement
or edited document; the changes must be made online. Pretty sure this
is correct but it's been awhile since I did any collaboration on
skydrive, er onedrive.

Old March 5th 14, 04:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
...winston‫

John Doe wrote:

[...]

If you allow someone to have access to shared content on OneDrive (fka
SkyDrive), the can view it and download it. If you also provide edit
capability they can change it.

Just because someone can download the file (and edit it locally) does
not mean they can upload and/or replace the file on the shared OneDrive
location.

http://1drv.ms/1gQ4m3j

One can easily test this by creating or uploading content on their
OneDrive (fka SkyDrive), get the shared link (e.g View Only), sign out
of OneDrive,and paste the link in a browser window to access the files
without being signed on.

If you provide edit capability for Office files, the recipient would
have to logon with a MSFT account to edit them in the web UI's Office Apps.

--
....winston
msft mvp consumer apps
Old March 5th 14, 11:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Mark Blain

John Doe wrote in news:53161ffc$0$17199
:

Microsoft's "SkyDrive" has been renamed to "OneDrive".
Maybe something to do with oneness.

"Forced to take 'Sky' out of the name in dispute with British
broadcaster...Microsoft struck a deal with British Sky Broadcasting
last month in a dispute over the right to use the name "sky"."

http://www.itworldcanada.com/article...cloud-storage-
service-as-onedrive/89528