How to clean the socket 775 heatsink + cooling fan?

Old April 28th 09, 12:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,24hoursupport.helpdesk
pg[_2_]

Default How to clean the socket 775 heatsink + cooling fan?

One of the company PC is located in the warehouse area, and that place
is very dusty.

So dusty that a lot of grime have built up in the heatsink + cooling
fan, and the CPU temperature is rising as a result.

In the process of cleaning the PC, I disassembled the cooling fan +
heatsink assembly from the CPU, trying my best to clean away all the
dust and grime stuck on the heatsink and the cooling fan.

The cooling fan / heatsink assembly is joint together by 4 washer type
of stoppers (located almost at the half way down the 4 screws) and I
can't find a way to separate the fan from the heatsink.

This resulted in the THICK LAYER of grime and dust that are stuck in
between the fan and the heatsink to be totally inaccessible.

I tried my best to clean them out but couldn't.

If only I can separate the fan OUT from the heatsink assembly ....

So, to the hardware gurus here ---

1. Is there a way to take out the fan from the fan/heatsink assembly,
without breaking anything?

2. If the answer to #1 is NO, then, is there a way to clean out the
grimes that stuck in between the fan and the heatsink?

Please advise.

Thank you !!
Old April 28th 09, 12:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GlowingBlueMist[_2_]

pg wrote:
[...]

You can try using a high pressure air hose to blow the stuff out of the
machine. Even a can of that compressed "air" they sell in electronic stores
or K-Mart may do it for you as well but they don't last too long.

If you do use a hose from a compressor make sure it is one that blows air
only and not air + water or air + oil. Spray it onto an empty box first to
verify it is providing you with just compressed air.

Old April 28th 09, 12:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,24hoursupport.helpdesk
Jan Alter

"pg" wrote in message
[...]

I use a can of compressed air. To get the fins of the HSF I use the same
compressed air with the straw attached to the nozzle that comes with the
can. Seems to get rid of even the most reluctant schmutz.
--
Jan Alter

Old April 28th 09, 02:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,24hoursupport.helpdesk
smlunatick

On Apr 28, 12:05*pm, pg wrote:
[...]

If the heatsink / fan is so mucked up with grime, I would consider
locating a "replacement" heatsink / fan assembly. A quick search on a
known parts web site (www.startech.com) comes up with 4 new heatsink /
fan kits:

http://www.startech.com/product/item...0&sea rch.y=0

And some models might have better performance than your original.
Old April 28th 09, 03:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,24hoursupport.helpdesk
JR Weiss[_3_]

"smlunatick" wrote...

If the heatsink / fan is so mucked up with grime, I would consider
locating a "replacement" heatsink / fan assembly. A quick search on a
known parts web site (www.startech.com) comes up with 4 new heatsink / fan
kits:

I agree. Since you already have the old heat sink off the CPU, most of the
hard work is done.

Some require removing the motherboard to fix a mounting plate on the
underside, but there are several that do not require MoBo removal:

Old April 28th 09, 04:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,24hoursupport.helpdesk
veesubotee

"Jan Alter" wrote in message

"pg" wrote in message
[...]

When the warm/hot weather arrives (now), I usually find my processor fan
periodically switching to overdrive. In the past, I used a straightened
paper clip to 'pick' out the lint between the fins. I just did my check; no
lint, but probed the fins anyway, then started up the computer (with case
cover and duct removed and blew out whatever was inside. Seems to be
running cooler now with no overdrive.

Relating to the OPs post, I once read somewhere that blowing compressed air
into a computer would place a static charge on the innards. I do wear a
wrist strap while cleaning the fins, but wonder about using compressed air.

What do you think, Jan?

HankG

Old April 28th 09, 05:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
1D10T

"GlowingBlueMist" wrote in message

If you do use a hose from a compressor make sure it is one that blows air
only and not air + water or air + oil. Spray it onto an empty box first
to verify it is providing you with just compressed air.

AND HOLD a finger against the fan blades or they will spin fast enough to
damage the fan motor/bearings!

Old April 28th 09, 05:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,24hoursupport.helpdesk
Jan Alter

Relating to the OPs post, I once read somewhere that blowing compressed
air into a computer would place a static charge on the innards. I do wear
a wrist strap while cleaning the fins, but wonder about using compressed
air.

What do you think, Jan?

HankG

I've heard that said to using a vacuum cleaner,being that a motor is running
and building a charge, but not of the compressed air. I've not had any
problems using the CA method. I supposed one could go ground themselves
first before attempting the work if that were a potential issue.
--
Jan Alter

Old April 28th 09, 05:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,24hoursupport.helpdesk
spodosaurus

Jan Alter wrote:
"pg" wrote in message
[...]

Canned air and an antistatic brush, repeat as necessary.

Ari

Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor and literally save someone's life:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old April 28th 09, 06:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,24hoursupport.helpdesk
[email protected]

"Jan Alter" wrote:

I've heard that said to using a vacuum cleaner,being that a motor is running
and building a charge, but not of the compressed air.

It's not the motor, it's the air blowing past the parts that causes a
static charge to build up - just keep it plugged in (wall plug) it
will discharge itself if a problem.

Never heard of CA causing a static charge, but it would be the same
principle as a vacuum and wearing a static strap isn't going to have
any affect at all.
--

http://whybenormal.today.com/files/2...atter-what.jpg