HDD with bad sectors

Old December 5th 08, 05:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Avelino Tavares[_2_]

Default HDD with bad sectors

Hi all !
I have a hdd with bad sectors. If i format the hdd, and reinstall de OS,
this bad sectors will be using ? Or the format put the bad sectors
"disabled" ?

Thanks.

Old December 5th 08, 07:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GlowingBlueMist[_2_]

"Avelino Tavares" wrote in message
Hi all !
I have a hdd with bad sectors. If i format the hdd, and reinstall de OS,
this bad sectors will be using ? Or the format put the bad sectors
"disabled" ?

Thanks.

Go to the web page of your hard drive manufacturer and download their hard
drive testing program. With luck it will tell you the condition of the
drive. Most have the abiltiy to format and bypass the bad sectors depending
on the number and location of them.

If the number of defects are growing then it is past time to backup the data
and get another drive.

Old December 5th 08, 10:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

"Avelino Tavares" wrote in message
Hi all !
I have a hdd with bad sectors. If i format the hdd, and reinstall de OS,
this bad sectors will be using ? Or the format put the bad sectors
"disabled" ?

Thanks.

If you format the drive, the bad sectors will be "mapped out"
and therefore not seen by the operating system...

However I'd recommend replacing the drive as it's probably in the process of
failing.

If you absolutely must use that drive I'd be doubly sure to backup your data
plus keep an eye on it.

If more sectors fail...I'd definitely replace it

Old December 6th 08, 02:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Avelino Tavares

Ok, thanks !
"philo" escreveu na mensagem

Old December 6th 08, 11:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

"Avelino Tavares" wrote in message
Ok, thanks !\\\

Sure thing

good luck to you

"philo" escreveu na mensagem

Old December 7th 08, 02:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 16:57:28 -0000, "Avelino Tavares"
wrote:

Hi all !
I have a hdd with bad sectors. If i format the hdd, and reinstall de OS,
this bad sectors will be using ? Or the format put the bad sectors
"disabled" ?

Thanks.

It will then not use the bad sectors, but you should find
out if they are logically bad or physically so. Use the HDD
manufacturer's diagnostic program to check the drive
including the full surface scan.

Using Windows, scan the drive while having the box "Scan for
and attempt recovery of bad sectors" checked. If the sector
was only logically bad it may be recovered. If they are
really bad physically it is time to retire the drive as it
has no spare sectors left and is expected to have more and
more bad sectors in the future.

How to map out bad sectors CWatters Storage (alternative) 4 July 13th 06 09:45 PM
more about bad sectors Irwin Storage (alternative) 5 December 31st 05 07:33 PM
Bad sectors... how bad? Pdigmking Homebuilt PC's 44 December 9th 05 05:44 AM
Bad sectors? ric General 5 July 26th 05 06:37 AM
Fix HD with Bad Sectors? Gregor General 3 July 29th 03 10:21 PM