5 drives in 3 bays... Simple bracket?

Old March 2nd 08, 07:41 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Calab

Default 5 drives in 3 bays... Simple bracket?

I'm looking for what should be a simple mounting bracket that will hold five
3.5" hard drives in three drive bays.

http://wantitnow.ebay.com/5-in-3-dri...MEW INQ3aPOST

Or, for those who don't like eBay. A link directly to the photo:

http://i2.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/d5/ff/0358_2.JPG

The closest that I can find is this, at $40 + shipping, which ends up being
around $60:

http://i3.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/b0/70/4abb_1.JPG
http://i6.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/b0/70/4b18_1.JPG

I'm sure that there are more out there, and probably a bit cheaper too.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Old March 2nd 08, 12:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

"Calab" wrote in message
I'm looking for what should be a simple mounting bracket that will hold

five
3.5" hard drives in three drive bays.

http://wantitnow.ebay.com/5-in-3-dri...MEW INQ3aPOST

Or, for those who don't like eBay. A link directly to the photo:

http://i2.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/d5/ff/0358_2.JPG

The closest that I can find is this, at $40 + shipping, which ends up

being
around $60:

http://i3.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/b0/70/4abb_1.JPG
http://i6.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/b0/70/4b18_1.JPG

I'm sure that there are more out there, and probably a bit cheaper too.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Due to heating concerns I'd avoid that.
If your case is large enough, I'd rob a drive bay out of a junked machine
and mount it somewhere else in the cabinet...to give the drives a bit of
room for
air flow.

Last year I ended up adding an additional bay
by just mounting it as the bottom of the case

Old March 2nd 08, 12:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Irresistance

I second that Unless you plan to have a decent 120mm fan blowing fresh air
onto the drives, this is asking for trouble. There are some hot-swap trays
that come with a fan and can offer similar density, but are a bit more
expensive.

The money you save on getting a fanless tray like the one pictured will be
lost on a drive likely failing within 3-6 months due to heat and/or
vibration problems.

"philo" wrote in message
. ..

Old March 2nd 08, 04:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Calab

"Irresistance" wrote in message
I second that Unless you plan to have a decent 120mm fan blowing fresh air
onto the drives, this is asking for trouble. There are some hot-swap trays
that come with a fan and can offer similar density, but are a bit more
expensive.

The last two links show a model with a 120mm fan. Also, this is going into
an Antec 900 case... 200mm fan right on top, sucking air out of the case.

The money you save on getting a fanless tray like the one pictured will be
lost on a drive likely failing within 3-6 months due to heat and/or
vibration problems.

"philo" wrote in message
. ..

Old March 2nd 08, 05:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

"Calab" wrote in message

"Irresistance" wrote in message
I second that Unless you plan to have a decent 120mm fan blowing fresh

air
onto the drives, this is asking for trouble. There are some hot-swap

trays
that come with a fan and can offer similar density, but are a bit more
expensive.

The last two links show a model with a 120mm fan. Also, this is going

into
an Antec 900 case... 200mm fan right on top, sucking air out of the case.

I did see a nice fan on that 2nd link...
so might as well get that one.
If it keeps the drives cooled, it's worth any extra money you'd pay

The money you save on getting a fanless tray like the one pictured will

be
lost on a drive likely failing within 3-6 months due to heat and/or
vibration problems.

"philo" wrote in message
. ..

Old March 3rd 08, 12:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 07:41:40 GMT, "Calab"
wrote:

I'm looking for what should be a simple mounting bracket that will hold five
3.5" hard drives in three drive bays.

http://wantitnow.ebay.com/5-in-3-dri...MEW INQ3aPOST

Or, for those who don't like eBay. A link directly to the photo:

http://i2.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/d5/ff/0358_2.JPG

The closest that I can find is this, at $40 + shipping, which ends up being
around $60:

http://i3.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/b0/70/4abb_1.JPG
http://i6.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/b0/70/4b18_1.JPG

I'm sure that there are more out there, and probably a bit cheaper too.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

5 in 3 is putting them pretty close together, IMO you should
instead get a different case that accomodates enough drives.
Old March 4th 08, 06:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Henry Bemis[_2_]

I put 5 3.5" drives into an old scsi 4 bay 5.25" drive case. I kept both
internal fans and all are running fine for 1 year now. Using USB drive
connectors and a 350 watt PC Power Supply. It's about half the height of a
mini tower pc case. And it was a $5 flea market item. It was white so out
came the rattle can - flat heat resistant black paint. It sits by the PC
case and matches rather well.

Old March 4th 08, 08:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 06:24:45 GMT, "Henry Bemis"
wrote:

I put 5 3.5" drives into an old scsi 4 bay 5.25" drive case. I kept both
internal fans and all are running fine for 1 year now. Using USB drive
connectors and a 350 watt PC Power Supply. It's about half the height of a
mini tower pc case. And it was a $5 flea market item. It was white so out
came the rattle can - flat heat resistant black paint. It sits by the PC
case and matches rather well.

That's 4 bays instead of 3, leaving more room between the
drives was the important factor.
Old March 5th 08, 07:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
larry moe 'n curly

Calab wrote:

I'm looking for what should be a simple mounting bracket that will hold five
3.5" hard drives in three drive bays.

Hang 2-3 of the drives vertically from the bottom drive bay, on the
floor of the case (may require extra-long cables), or, if the bay
extends all the way to the floor, on the side of the bay rack.
Old March 6th 08, 09:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

wrote:

I'm looking for what should be a simple mounting bracket that will hold five
3.5" hard drives in three drive bays.

http://wantitnow.ebay.com/5-in-3-dri...MEW INQ3aPOST

Or, for those who don't like eBay. A link directly to the photo:

http://i2.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/d5/ff/0358_2.JPG

The closest that I can find is this, at $40 + shipping, which ends up being
around $60:

http://i3.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/b0/70/4abb_1.JPG
http://i6.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/b0/70/4b18_1.JPG

I'm sure that there are more out there, and probably a bit cheaper too.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

If your case only lacks enough HDD bays at the bottom, one
other option (which is even better, IMO, because with a
couple fans at the bottom the typical ATX airflow pattern is
preserved) is to drill out the (rivets, if so constructed)
bottom rack if it has one, then use a metal brake and sheet
metal to make a new HDD rack. In the following example a
couple of 92mm fans are in front of it and do a very good
job of keeping drives cool as almost all the air flows
through the rack.

http://69.36.166.207/usr_1034/gw_cas...0for%20use.jpg