Is water cooling safe???

Old May 26th 07, 02:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Robert McNerney

Default Is water cooling safe???

Has anybody here ever destroyed their computer while installing
PC water cooling??? I plan to custom build a really expensive
computer with a Quad Core CPU and multiple GeForce 8800
graphics cards and the thought of introducing water into my
expensive system really makes me nervous. Does everybody
here think air cooling is the better choice than water cooling???

Robert M.

Old May 26th 07, 05:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Fri, 25 May 2007 18:50:08 -0700, "Robert McNerney"
wrote:

Has anybody here ever destroyed their computer while installing
PC water cooling??? I plan to custom build a really expensive
computer with a Quad Core CPU and multiple GeForce 8800
graphics cards and the thought of introducing water into my
expensive system really makes me nervous. Does everybody
here think air cooling is the better choice than water cooling???

Robert M.

I have heard of water cooling a computer, but how is it done? Are
there any drawings or diagrams or pictures on the web?

This brings up a question. Does a CPU run most efficiently when it's
very cold, or when it's warm? I know it dont do well when it's very
hot, and once I had a cpu fan die and the system kept rebooting on hot
days. My question is this. If a CPU was cooled with something like
dry ice, would it be most efficient?

By the way, what's a QUAD CORE CPU? Is that a mobo with 4 CPUs, or
are there 4 cpu's inside of one? Why do you need so much power
anyhow?

George

Old May 26th 07, 06:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

wrote:

[...]

There is a forum here dedicated to liquid cooling. There is at least
one article on here, which is a primer to setting up liquid cooling
systems. If you wanted to find someone who could tell you how big a
radiator to use, this is the place to ask.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...splay.php?f=70

Paul
Old May 26th 07, 11:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Conor

In article , Robert McNerney
says...
Has anybody here ever destroyed their computer while installing
PC water cooling???

As it involves removing heatsinks that weren't meant to be removed and
relying on the skill of the individual to install it, there's a chance
it can go wrong. Just look at all the graphics cards killed by people
incorrectly installing aftermarket cooling solutions.

I think you have to be realistic about yuor abilities and some people
aren't. For them it goes wrong.

--
Conor

until you hear them speak.........
Old May 26th 07, 11:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Conor

In article , says...

By the way, what's a QUAD CORE CPU? Is that a mobo with 4 CPUs, or
are there 4 cpu's inside of one?

4 cpu cores in one package.

Why do you need so much power
anyhow?

Compensate for **** bloated programming which seems to be de rigeur
these days.

--
Conor

until you hear them speak.........
Old May 26th 07, 01:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
larry moe 'n curly

Robert McNerney wrote:

Has anybody here ever destroyed their computer while installing
PC water cooling???

A few years ago, I saw photos of a system that was destroyed by a bad
water cooling system. Apparently the water pump stopped, and the
water in the CPU cooling block got so hot that the plastic hoses
melted, and finally the temperature rose high enough to melt the
solder holding the cooling block together, causing a flood of solder
over almost half the motherboard.

I plan to custom build a really expensive computer with a Quad Core CPU
and multiple GeForce 8800 graphics cards and the thought of introducing
water into my expensive system really makes me nervous.

I'd be nervous with water circulating close to the high voltage inside
the PSU.

Old May 26th 07, 03:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On 26 May 2007 05:16:44 -0700, larry moe 'n curly
wrote:

Robert McNerney wrote:

Has anybody here ever destroyed their computer while installing
PC water cooling???

A few years ago, I saw photos of a system that was destroyed by a bad
water cooling system. Apparently the water pump stopped, and the
water in the CPU cooling block got so hot that the plastic hoses
melted, and finally the temperature rose high enough to melt the
solder holding the cooling block together, causing a flood of solder
over almost half the motherboard.

I plan to custom build a really expensive computer with a Quad Core CPU
and multiple GeForce 8800 graphics cards and the thought of introducing
water into my expensive system really makes me nervous.

I'd be nervous with water circulating close to the high voltage inside
the PSU.

There is no HIGH voltage in a computer. Everything is run at 12 volts
dc and 5 volts dc, with specific smaller voltages on the mobo for cpu
and other parts. Thats definately not HIGH voltage. The only thing
that comes close to high voltage is the power line feeding the power
supply. While 120VAC can be dangerous around water, thats still not
considered HIGH voltage, and I dont believe any water is run inside
the power supply.

As for the person that stated the newer software is too bloated, I'll
have to agree, based on what I have seen and heard, but not
experienced. From what I heard about MS Vista, the system
requirements are rediculous. I have to keep asking why people even
bother to use it. What does Vista do that XP dont? I see some people
especially those that run games, wanting all the power, but the
average computer user simply dont need all of that. For that matter,
why does anyone even need XP? I still run Win98 and it does
everything I need. I do internet, photo and graphic editing, and lots
of the common office uses. I have never seen a need for more bloat.
I'd probably upgrade to WinME if I was not too lazy to reinstall
everything, and they only reason for that would be because ME dont
need all the drivers like 98.

It's my opinion that MS keeps creating all this bloated junk simply so
they can make money, because no one really needs the stuff. I dont
personally like XP, but for those that do, I think MS sort of "lost
it" after XP. What irritates me most, is that MS has abandoned
everything prior to XP. They no longer support Win85, 98, ME, and
(I'm not sure about Win2000). That's how they are forcing people to
upgrade, but who really needs this newer stuff. I for one dont. If I
was to design a new OS, it would be the same as Win98 / ME, but have a
few graphic enhancements and it would eliminate some of the flaws and
drawbacks such as the partition size limits. It seems MS never
addresses these issues in what they have, the just create this bloated
junk.

I guess we all have our preferences, and I dont condemn anyone for
wanting some of this bloated software, but what does anger me is that
MS abandons and quits offering support for older software that many
people still use. Many people still use Win98, ME, and 2K. Why cant
we all have the option to choose what we want and need? I do believe
that MS could also make some money if they continued support for older
operating systems, and maybe even made a few upgrades that eliminated
some of the flaws. It seems they did upgrade 98SE with ME, but after
that they sort of lost it.....

Just my opinion.

George
Old May 26th 07, 07:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bob Fry

I used W98 for a long time, switched to XP a couple of years ago at
home after using it at work before that. The reality is that
Microsoft software has always been mediocre, bloated and inefficient,
and a few years late in features compared to other equivalent
products. The fact it is #1 by a very large margin in market share is
a lesson in marketing.

I just built and am using a dual-core AMD XP machine with 4-disk (!)
RAID0, 2GB RAM, bla bla and yada yada. It's finally stable and I can
simultaneously burn a DVD, use Skype, and run a few other apps
(Dreamweaver, Picassa, emule, etc.) I don't think W98 could do all
that gracefully no matter the hardware. What it still can't do is copy
a large file without slowing down and getting sticky.

I like the look of Vista, but that's eye candy. I can't see what
Vista offers me that I don't have in XP, so I'm in no rush to
"upgrade". My next computer will be a laptop, either an Apple laptop
or a cheaper AMD laptop running Ubuntu Linux. I'm tired of MS
mediocrity and figure if I'm going to have continual difficulties like
I did finally getting XP tuned, I might as well not pay for it.
Besides I still remember fondly my 15 years using Sun Solaris at
work...excellent multi-tasking and features that Windows still doesn't
have.
--
"Hacking is like sex. You get in, you get out, and hope that you
didn't leave something that can be traced back to you."
Old May 27th 07, 12:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Brooks Moses

Bob Fry wrote:
Besides I still remember fondly my 15 years using Sun Solaris at
work...excellent multi-tasking and features that Windows still doesn't
have.

So why are you running XP, rather than Solaris, on your new PC?

http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp

- Brooks

new to water cooling [email protected] Overclocking AMD Processors 1 December 12th 06 11:15 AM
Water cooling? Which one? SysCold Overclocking 6 August 21st 04 07:01 PM
Water cooling? Which one? Silvertip Overclocking 0 August 4th 04 05:29 AM
Water cooling Q Spencer Overclocking 12 June 28th 04 06:34 PM
Water Cooling the gnome Homebuilt PC's 4 May 18th 04 12:06 PM