New Dells Still Have Recovery Partition?

Old March 29th 07, 04:58 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Mangyrat[_2_]

Default New Dells Still Have Recovery Partition?

The inspiration 6400 I bought last week has one.
ill most likely format it and install XP just to get rid of vista that came
on it. so the partition is on big deal to me.

"1234" wrote in message
Hello,

I bought a new XPS 400 from Costco about a year ago and it had the
recovery
partition. Several months later I bought another (XPS 410) and it did
not.

Has anyone bought one very recently from Costco.com and can tell me if it
came with the recovery partition?

Thanks,
Ellen

Old March 29th 07, 10:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"1234" wrote in message
Hello,

I bought a new XPS 400 from Costco about a year ago and it had the
recovery
partition. Several months later I bought another (XPS 410) and it did
not.

Has anyone bought one very recently from Costco.com and can tell me if it
came with the recovery partition?

Thanks,
Ellen

Ellen -

How did you confirm that it's not there?

Did you use the CTL+F11 hot key comb. at the Dell splash, or did you go into
control panel and look at your disks via 'disk management'?

Stew

Old March 29th 07, 11:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"1234" wrote in message
Hello,

I bought a new XPS 400 from Costco about a year ago and it had the
recovery
partition. Several months later I bought another (XPS 410) and it did
not.

Has anyone bought one very recently from Costco.com and can tell me if it
came with the recovery partition?

Thanks,
Ellen

The XPS410 does have a recovery partition. What happens when you press
CTRL+F11? If it doesn't work, google DSRFix. This is a freeware program
that will fix it, as long as the partition is intact.

Old March 30th 07, 05:57 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
1234

Wow. Is my face red! It indeed has a CTRL+F11 to a Dell PC Restore. And
in Disk Management the Disk 0 - Basic 298.09GB Primary Partition was in 3
sections:

55MB FAT (EISA Configuration)
(C 293.29GB NTFS (System)
4.74GB FAT 32 (Unknown Partition)

I think my original misconception came when I searched for "recovery" in
Windows Help thinking it was Dell Help, and found nothing. We have an older
HP with a Recovery Partition and if I remember correctly, the hidden
partition is more clearly marked/obvious in routine use (labeled as Drive D
and won't easily let you click on it). It was also clear about the need to
create recovery disk(s).

I'm figure it's still a good idea to create some kind of backup for the
recovery partition. (I always wondered about a hidden partition saving the
day if there's a hard drive failure.) An old posting referred to a
Start/Programs/Dell OS Recovery CD, but I don't see one. I'll continue my
research.

Thank you all for your help.
Ellen

Old March 30th 07, 10:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
richard

"1234" wrote in message
Hello,

I bought a new XPS 400 from Costco about a year ago and it had the
recovery
partition. Several months later I bought another (XPS 410) and it did
not.

Has anyone bought one very recently from Costco.com and can tell me if it
came with the recovery partition?

Thanks,
Ellen

I recently got the 6400 with XP before it went to Vista. How do you
locate the hidden partition. I read something about Cntl-F11. Do you
have to click on those keys during bootup, or what?
Old March 31st 07, 12:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"1234" wrote in message
Hello,

I bought a new XPS 400 from Costco about a year ago and it had the
recovery
partition. Several months later I bought another (XPS 410) and it did
not.

Has anyone bought one very recently from Costco.com and can tell me if
it came with the recovery partition?

Thanks,
Ellen

I recently got the 6400 with XP before it went to Vista. How do you locate
the hidden partition. I read something about Cntl-F11. Do you have to
click on those keys during bootup, or what?

Yes, when you see the Dell logo, as long as you haven't removed the
partition. It will WIPE OUT everything on your machine though.

Old March 31st 07, 04:03 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
richard

Tom Scales wrote:

"1234" wrote in message
Hello,

I bought a new XPS 400 from Costco about a year ago and it had the
recovery
partition. Several months later I bought another (XPS 410) and it
did not.

Has anyone bought one very recently from Costco.com and can tell me
if it came with the recovery partition?

Thanks,
Ellen

I recently got the 6400 with XP before it went to Vista. How do you
locate the hidden partition. I read something about Cntl-F11. Do you
have to click on those keys during bootup, or what?

Yes, when you see the Dell logo, as long as you haven't removed the
partition. It will WIPE OUT everything on your machine though.

Yowza, I'm glad I asked. So ctl-f11 activates the hidden partition. I
had thought that one could merely examine its contents....

Thanks
Old March 31st 07, 04:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"richard" wrote in message
. ..
Tom Scales wrote:

"1234" wrote in message
[...]

I don't remember if you can or not. It warns you before it kills anything.
As I recall, it is a Ghost partition, so if you have Ghost....

Old April 6th 07, 08:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Andrew Hodgson

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 20:57:48 -0800, "1234" wrote:

[...]

As I understand it there is no way to backup the partition - you are
given OS install disks if you want to just install the OS again.
However, Acronis will do it, if you backup the entire disk.

Andrew.