Dell Boot Problem

Old November 19th 06, 11:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Joe

Default Dell Boot Problem

Is there not a test beep to say the BIOS is okay when powering up this
machine?

this reply to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell only, where it was read.

my first thought it that you have the video monitor pluged into the wrong
port. some machines have more than one video out and it is not uncommon
to plug it into the wrong one and end up with the symptons that you
describe.

"2poopd2pop" wrote in message
Dell XPS 800, was working perfectly before a move.

Need your help with diagnosis, here are the symptoms, when turning it
on:

green power light comes on, hard disk normal sounds for about 1-2
seconds.

No beeps, blank screen (not even a cursor).

Box will then not turn off at front power switch UNLESS I hold it for
7-8 seconds, then powers off.

Looked inside and found no obvious signs of damage or loose boards.

Any ideas? (Don't suggest dell support they did not reply to my inquiry).

Old November 20th 06, 12:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
2poopd2popNOT

"Joe" wrote in
:

Is there not a test beep to say the BIOS is okay when powering up this
machine?

All computers I have ever owned have diagnostic beeps, but does no good
for me now because there is NO SOUND from it, only 1 sec or so of hard
drive activity-hard drive is fine-used it in other box and then
NOTHING-no video,no sound nothing. Will take a look at S. Lewis' good
suggestion when I get home and report back. I tried to make transport of
this box safe and cushioned, but seems obvious something during the move
did it. I also followed safe power disconnect procedures and removed the
hard drive before moving it. Why are these damn things SOOOO
sensitive???

Old November 20th 06, 01:12 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"2poopd2popNOT" wrote in message
"Joe" wrote in
:

Is there not a test beep to say the BIOS is okay when powering up this
machine?

All computers I have ever owned have diagnostic beeps, but does no good
for me now because there is NO SOUND from it, only 1 sec or so of hard
drive activity-hard drive is fine-used it in other box and then
NOTHING-no video,no sound nothing. Will take a look at S. Lewis' good
suggestion when I get home and report back. I tried to make transport of
this box safe and cushioned, but seems obvious something during the move
did it. I also followed safe power disconnect procedures and removed the
hard drive before moving it. Why are these damn things SOOOO
sensitive???

Actually, this model really isn't. Damned-near bulletproof. I have an
XPST500 running downstairs that refuses to die.

The diag LEDs will be a good place to start. The problem is likely fairly
simple (hopefully).

Stew

Old November 20th 06, 02:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

you said you removed the hard drive. that makes me wonder if you happen to
have reconnected it correctly. some ide cables are polarized (only connect
in one orientation) and some are not. make sure that the red color edge of
the ide ribbon cable is facing the power connector and not facing the other
direction. otherwise your system could behave as you describe as it looks
for the hard disk and keeps trying and trying to find it...

Old November 20th 06, 07:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
2poopd2popNOT

"S.Lewis" wrote in
news

[...]

Ha, my cheap chinese clone survived the move under similar conditions.
Also the case on these dell boxs is very user unfriendly, crowded
proprietary design. But on to the OP...

The diag LEDs will be a good place to start. The problem is likely
fairly simple (hopefully).

Thanks for that tip Stew, the table says I need to "reset" the processor
(remove and reinstall-Light C is green, rest are yellow). So somehow the
cpu is not functioning or interacting with the MB correctly-at least
according to dell (they have been wrong before). There was no indication
of problems prior to the move and I can see no breaks or pertinent loose
connections anywhere.

I only paid 15 bucks for this box at a yard sale and it worked fine for
about a year or two, so guess it may be time to salvage it for parts-has
a nice sony 48 cd-rw in it.

To Joe (hope your listening) why do you suggest clearing the bios and
how does this relate to this diagnostic light readout?

Stew

Old November 20th 06, 08:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jay B

so did you reseat the processor or not? probably something came loose
in shipping.

sometimes, if all else fails, reseating the memory and clearing the bios
does fix certain strange problems.

also, there is a slot one processor in there, make sure the clips havnt
come loose. it should lock in place.
the docs for the xps t800 are he
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dkub/

Old November 20th 06, 10:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"2poopd2popNOT" wrote in message
"S.Lewis" wrote in
news

snip

So unplug the box and reseat the Slot1 processor and the memory while you're
at it. If the tower has been banged around a bit, the CPU could be slightly
out of the socket:
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc..._sink_assembly

Stew

Old November 21st 06, 02:25 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
History

Unplug all the cables from optical and hard drives then try and boot up. I'm
not familiar with the dell diagnostic lights, however as you mentioned
before the cpu fan wasn't operating or I misread. If this is so, when you
last powered it up might the cpu have burnt out? I believe this would help
solve what the dell lights are saying.