Has a dodgy mini itx board got any useable parts/value

Old September 25th 08, 02:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Gus[_2_]

Default Has a dodgy mini itx board got any useable parts/value

I bought a home server that was powered by a Mini ITX motherboard,
which gave up the ghost. The LAN lights stayed on but there was no
video output so I wound up buying a new board.

The old board is sitting in a box and I can't stand the idea of just
chucking it out. Does this kind of thing have any value or is it
really toast? Is there any merit in ebaying it (of course stating
that it's not work and for spare parts only). I'd appreciate any
advice.

Details of the board are he

Thanks for any advice.
Gus
Old September 25th 08, 03:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Henry Bemis[_2_]

just to the right of the desk, there's a round (perhaps oval) recepticle.
this box will fit there.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Old September 26th 08, 07:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Franc Zabkar

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 06:48:51 -0700 (PDT), Gus put
finger to keyboard and composed:

I bought a home server that was powered by a Mini ITX motherboard,
which gave up the ghost. The LAN lights stayed on but there was no
video output so I wound up buying a new board.

The old board is sitting in a box and I can't stand the idea of just
chucking it out. Does this kind of thing have any value or is it
really toast? Is there any merit in ebaying it (of course stating
that it's not work and for spare parts only). I'd appreciate any
advice.

Details of the board are he

Thanks for any advice.
Gus

I salvage things like socketed ICs (eg BIOS EEPROM), MOSFETs,
connectors, heatsinks, crystals, oscillators, speakers, and coils, as
long as they're easy to desolder. However, I would't buy a scrap board
just for the parts.

One other potentially useful thing would be the onboard switchmode
power supplies. I cut them out with a hacksaw. The ones with a 12V
input would make useful voltage adapters for your car.

- Franc Zabkar
Old September 27th 08, 12:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Gus[_2_]

Thanks guys. Looks like it's going in the circular file.