Multifuncional Printer Working in Windows 98

Old July 11th 08, 09:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Avelino Tavares[_2_]

Default Multifuncional Printer Working in Windows 98

Hi !
Does anyone knows if there existe a multifuncional printer (scanner, copier,
printer) tha works in windows 98 ?

Thanks.

Old July 11th 08, 10:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT[_4_]

"Avelino Tavares" wrote in message
Hi !
Does anyone knows if there existe a multifuncional printer (scanner,
copier, printer) tha works in windows 98 ?

I would expect that the majority of them work in Win98, so long as you can
get a driver for it - check the manufacturers website before you buy the
device and if they have a Win98 driver, then there shouldn't be a problem.

Old July 11th 08, 11:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

GT wrote:
"Avelino Tavares" wrote in message
Hi !
Does anyone knows if there existe a multifuncional printer (scanner,
copier, printer) tha works in windows 98 ?

I would expect that the majority of them work in Win98, so long as you can
get a driver for it - check the manufacturers website before you buy the
device and if they have a Win98 driver, then there shouldn't be a problem.

HP removed all their Win98 drivers, so that is one website you won't
need to waste any time on.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...product=304445

Paul

Old July 11th 08, 11:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT[_4_]

"Paul" wrote in message ...
GT wrote:
"Avelino Tavares" wrote in message
Hi !
Does anyone knows if there existe a multifuncional printer (scanner,
copier, printer) tha works in windows 98 ?

I would expect that the majority of them work in Win98, so long as you
can get a driver for it - check the manufacturers website before you buy
the device and if they have a Win98 driver, then there shouldn't be a
problem.

HP removed all their Win98 drivers, so that is one website you won't
need to waste any time on.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...product=304445

....Unless you go to a 3rd party website. I haven't used it for ages (since I
stopped using Win98), but driverguide.com has loads of drivers.

Old July 11th 08, 11:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

GT wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message ...
GT wrote:
"Avelino Tavares" wrote in message
Hi !
Does anyone knows if there existe a multifuncional printer (scanner,
copier, printer) tha works in windows 98 ?
I would expect that the majority of them work in Win98, so long as you
can get a driver for it - check the manufacturers website before you buy
the device and if they have a Win98 driver, then there shouldn't be a
problem.

HP removed all their Win98 drivers, so that is one website you won't
need to waste any time on.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...product=304445

...Unless you go to a 3rd party website. I haven't used it for ages (since I
stopped using Win98), but driverguide.com has loads of drivers.

The point of posting that article, is to highlight that Microsoft prevents
printer companies from offering new printers with Win98 support. Yes,
Avelino could try to find an old driver for an old printer (and he
posted such a question recently), but in terms of shopping for
brand new products with Win98 support, it looks like Microsoft
has prevented it. Maybe there is some way to host the printer
on another computer ? I'm not a printer guy, so don't know
what options there are for getting around this problem.

Paul

Old July 11th 08, 12:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 06:33:15 -0400, Paul
wrote:

The point of posting that article, is to highlight that Microsoft prevents
printer companies from offering new printers with Win98 support. Yes,
Avelino could try to find an old driver for an old printer (and he
posted such a question recently), but in terms of shopping for
brand new products with Win98 support, it looks like Microsoft
has prevented it. Maybe there is some way to host the printer
on another computer ? I'm not a printer guy, so don't know
what options there are for getting around this problem.

Paul

One way around it would be to buy a printer old enough that
it still has win98 drivers. I mean new, somewhere there's
bound to be old stock, perhaps ebay.

I still think HP isn't being quite honest about the
situation though, other companies are still offering Win98
drivers, for example Lexmark, Samsung, Brother, and probably
others.

http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-per..._group=Windows
98&target=

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/do...p_nm=CLX-2160N

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...=English&dlid=

.... so maybe the main issue is just avoiding HP if they
can't manage to at least negotiate out a continuation of
support for the products, including the OS support they
advertised at time of sale.
Old July 11th 08, 01:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

wrote:

GT wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message ...
GT wrote:
[...]

Also, it is unfortunate that we don't have more information
to go on other than needing Win98 support, since there are
so many other factors like price range, duty cycle, scanning
quality, color or B&W laser or inkjet, etc.

I don't know how many of the prior examples I linked were
current modules, but here's a Canon at Newegg that would
appear to be current with Win98 driver.

Pity Newegg doesn't include the "OS" variable in their
products' Power Search engine.