Lacking PS/2 Mouse Port

Old June 17th 08, 12:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bruce.[_2_]

Default Lacking PS/2 Mouse Port

FYI, for anyone buying a new ASUS motherboard and finding out it doesn't
have a PS/2 mouse port, here is what I tried that worked.

My situation was more complicated than just replacing the mouse because I
have a PS/2 KVM switch which I would also have to replace if I went with a
USB mouse. And I couldn't do that because the other box, a laptop, requires
a PS/2 keyboard.

So instead, I bought this, a converter that converts both a PS/2 keyboard
and PS/2 mouse in to a single USB port. It was immediately recognized by
Windows XP and is compatible with my PS/2 KVM.

$6

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...%257 cRCW-606

The only downside I could find is the mouse doesn't work when booted to Dos.

Bruce.

Old June 18th 08, 05:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
gg

nice to know
btw, if you have access to ghost solution boot disk, you may be able to use
usb mouse with usb driver. don't know about kb. in dos of sort (DR-DOs ,
MS-DOS?)

Old June 18th 08, 04:08 PM
zton82005 zton82005 is offline
Junior Member

Smile

Nice to know that dude.Because requires a USB mouse and our available mouse at home is PS2.I'll visit that site you gave.Thank You. .
Old June 18th 08, 05:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
The Coward Robert Ford

"Bruce." wrote in
:

FYI, for anyone buying a new ASUS motherboard and finding out it
doesn't have a PS/2 mouse port, here is what I tried that worked.

My situation was more complicated than just replacing the mouse
because I have a PS/2 KVM switch which I would also have to replace if
I went with a USB mouse. And I couldn't do that because the other
box, a laptop, requires a PS/2 keyboard.

So instead, I bought this, a converter that converts both a PS/2
keyboard and PS/2 mouse in to a single USB port. It was immediately
recognized by Windows XP and is compatible with my PS/2 KVM.

$6

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...119150&Tpk=ROS
EWILL%257cRCW-606

The only downside I could find is the mouse doesn't work when booted
to Dos.

Bruce.

I bought one of those to use on my P5K and it didn't work with my PS2
KVM. I ended up having to buy a USB KVM instead and getting a USB
keyboard. WTF are they only putting a keyboard PS2 port on their mb's
anyway? If someone wants a mb with PS2 they usually want both mouse and
keyboard PS2.
Old June 18th 08, 05:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
The Coward Robert Ford

"Bruce." wrote in news:21D5k.12873$Ri.8852
@flpi146.ffdc.sbc.com:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...m=N82E16812119

Oops, just actually looked at the link and that is not what I bought. I
bought a PS2 splitter and that didn't work for me. My new KVM has what you
are showing built in though and it worked until I played a game that used
shift+w to run and it made moving in the game very slow instrad of running.
It was caused by the PS2USB converter so had to go fully USB in the end.
Maybe yours won't have the same issue but test it out to see.
Old June 18th 08, 10:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bruce.[_2_]

"The Coward Robert Ford" wrote in message
I bought one of those to use on my P5K and it didn't work with my PS2
KVM.

This is the PS/2 KVM I'm using and that adapter is working for me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...4&Tpk=sv221dvi

I ended up having to buy a USB KVM instead and getting a USB
keyboard. WTF are they only putting a keyboard PS2 port on their mb's
anyway? If someone wants a mb with PS2 they usually want both mouse and
keyboard PS2.

My guess is that they're eliminating the PS/2 ports to make room for other
kinds of ports in a standard sized chassis. Lots of USB ports, eSATA, 8
channel audio, 1394, SPDIF, lot of stuff.

I'd bet the PS/2 keyboard port will go soon too. They're just doing it in
stages depending on the available USB hardware.

Bruce.

Old June 18th 08, 10:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bruce.[_2_]

Oops, just actually looked at the link and that is not what I bought. I
bought a PS2 splitter and that didn't work for me. My new KVM has what you
are showing built in though and it worked until I played a game that used
shift+w to run and it made moving in the game very slow instrad of
running.
It was caused by the PS2USB converter so had to go fully USB in the end.
Maybe yours won't have the same issue but test it out to see.

I'm not yet ready to spend the $ for a full USB KVM, but I am preparing for
that day by ordering a USB keyboard. I prefer the standard IBM layout
(rectangular return key) and that is amazingly hard to find these days in
either PS/2 or USB. I finally found a USB one so I ordered it and now 'll
have it when I need it.

So far I'm not noticed any problems with keys or key combinations.

Bruce.

Old June 19th 08, 07:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
GMAN

In article %Wa6k.11356$kx.127@pd7urf3no, The Coward Robert Ford wrote:
"Bruce." wrote in news:21D5k.12873$Ri.8852
:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...m=N82E16812119

Oops, just actually looked at the link and that is not what I bought. I
bought a PS2 splitter and that didn't work for me. My new KVM has what you
are showing built in though and it worked until I played a game that used
shift+w to run and it made moving in the game very slow instrad of running.
It was caused by the PS2USB converter so had to go fully USB in the end.
Maybe yours won't have the same issue but test it out to see.

Yet thats exactly the type of cable i suggested to you months ago and you
bitched at me like a hong kong hooker for weeks that i cost you money.
Old June 27th 08, 02:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
yadayada

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 16:39:24 GMT, The Coward Robert Ford
wrote:

I bought one of those to use on my P5K and it didn't work with my PS2
KVM. I ended up having to buy a USB KVM instead and getting a USB
keyboard. WTF are they only putting a keyboard PS2 port on their mb's
anyway? If someone wants a mb with PS2 they usually want both mouse and
keyboard PS2.

Are USB keyboards vulnerable to keystroke loggers ? You'd think
they might want to get rid of PS2 keyboards if the USB one's are
more secure, but why get rid of PS2 mouse inputs ?

Used to be you could use the Serial port with a PS2 mouse. Hmm.
Maybe you can use the PS2 port as some kind of industry unwanted
serial port ? Digital rights and all that.

Old June 27th 08, 02:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bruce.[_2_]

yadayada wrote in message
Are USB keyboards vulnerable to keystroke loggers ?

Yep.

http://www.usbkeylogger.info/

You'd think
they might want to get rid of PS2 keyboards if the USB one's are
more secure, but why get rid of PS2 mouse inputs ?

I think right now it's bragging rights ... who has the most USB ports, so
they need the real estate taken up by the PS/2 ports. And standardizing on
a single general purpose interface just has to be easier to impliment. I
imagine if we still had RS-232 modem ports and parallel printer ports. USB
is just easier and faster. And if you need an extention cable ... there's
only one kind. Need more ports? Add a hub. USB is just cooler.

One of my two P5E upgrades was very easy. We already had a USB mouse but it
was plugged in to the PS/2 mouse port using a USB to PS/2 adapter, so all I
had to do was chuck the adapter. On the other hand, my other upgrade was
tougher because of a PS2 KVM switch but a $7 adapter fixed that.

I assume one day my 15 year old PS/2 keyboard will finally fail, so I just
bought a USB keyboard with the same layout for backup. My wife's keyboard
is even older so I bought 2. We both prefer the small return key and
they're getting harder to find.

Bruce.