M1530 computer chokes on Easy Transfer Utility

Old June 4th 08, 02:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
eganders

Default M1530 computer chokes on Easy Transfer Utility

I purchased and received yesterday a Dell XPS M1530 laptop to replace
my old desktop. I have Dell Lattitude at work that is just
BULLETPROOF!! (It is amazing what it takes and doesn't complain), but
I wanted a larger screen for movies on the road and I like the remote
and other audio/visual features. I do like the docking station on the
Lattitude.

Well, I unpacked the M1530 and booted it up. Seemed to be OK. I
thought I should get right to the "Easy Transfer Utility" that
Microsoft has. I did not have the cable, and since I did not care how
long it took, I used wireless (all computers and hubs are in the same
room).

Well, about 10 to 15 minutes into the session, the new computer
locked. I had to reboot. I started it again on both computers and
everything seemed to go OK until the new computer locked again. I
rebooted it and all the users that I have on my old computer were
there and it appeared that it had completed at least some of the
transfer correctly. I signed into my profile and everything was fine
until....BLUE SCREEN!! It rebooted. Called tech support (they were
a lot better than I remember them being in the past) and they walked
me through the operation of F8 and trying to revert back to a factory
system. The operation started OK, but then it blue screened again and
after a couple of tries, I could not even get F8 to give me options.
Finally, it announced that the boot record was missing. END OF
STORY. The tech asked me to call Dell returns and I am sending it
back.

What I learned:

1. Dell support seems to be getting much better. If true, that is
very nice to hear.
2. Their return procedures and policy seems to be very good.
3. I don't know what caused the problem in the first place. What do
you think? Microsoft's transfer utility has a problem? This Dell
computer had bad memory/hard drive/other? I was asking too much from
transfering all my data using wireless WiFi?

My bottom line question (so I don't have the problem again): Is the
Microsoft Easy Transfer utility safe?

alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Old June 4th 08, 02:43 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 18:38:34 -0700 (PDT), eganders
wrote:

The tech asked me to call Dell returns and I am sending it
back.

Good for you -- cut your losses. If I start with a PC that BSOD's on
me, I send it right back. Only had to do that once.
Old June 4th 08, 03:36 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"eganders" wrote in message

snip

1) Still seems to depend upon who answers the phone.

2) Yes. Yes they are.

3) I'd guess that the hard drive failed, but that's speculation.

4) I've never used the MET utility, so I have no idea. I move files via
other conventional means..

Stew

Old June 4th 08, 03:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 01:46:48 -0400, "K2NNJ"
wrote:

Did a habib answer the phone?

I'm not sure if Dell India support does this but for a few of my calls
that ended up there they had the India tech. support rep. use an
English name (like Mark). I would rather know the person's real name,
but I understand why they did that, to reduce bad feelings about tech.
support from India.

One time I was surprised when a tech. support rep said "Merry
Christmas", and then "God Bless!". The latter was probably not
scripted; she probably had been to an English speaking country and
learned that term, or was applying an English term equivalent to what
would be said for her spiritual celebrations.

m1530 questions kris Dell Computers 0 March 6th 08 03:40 PM
transfer hdd to new computer [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 5 December 2nd 07 01:04 PM
Transfer HDD to a new computer BH2 Homebuilt PC's 11 July 19th 07 05:19 PM
how 2 transfer program to new computer ??? don ward General 1 April 16th 04 04:42 AM
TRUST USB2 EASY FILE TRANSFER CABLE Jan General 0 October 28th 03 10:24 PM