MS Office

Old May 13th 08, 01:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Levine[_4_]

Default MS Office

K2NNJ wrote:
How is this related to Dell?

Quite a bit more related to Dell than fake designer watches, don't you
think?

Bob
Old May 13th 08, 02:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

In news journey typed on Mon, 12 May 2008 23:41:51 -0500:
On Mon, 12 May 2008 18:13:06 -0400, "BillW50" wrote:

In ,
Robert243 typed on Mon, 12 May 2008 16:03:50 -0500:
If I buy MS Office off the shelf can I install it on my desktop and
my laptop, or is it only allowed on one computer.

If only one computer, is there a way around it. I'm not a pirate
but it would be no use to me if I couldn't use it on both computers
and I don't want to pay for two programs.

Bob

I don't know about current versions, but up to MS Office 2000 Pro
anyway you are allowed to install a single license on your laptop
and desktop.

Which brings up another point. For the most part the biggest
increment of innovation was with Office 97. Office 97, arguably, is
better than Office 2007 (at least the interface for Word and Excel).
So, if one has licenses to older versions of Office, they may want to
skip Office 2007.

Well I did use MS Office 97 for a few years until Office 2000 came out
and I fell in love with Office 2000. 97 for me anyway on a number of
machines in time has been on the buggy side for me. As Word and Outlook
would crash often for me. And Office 2000 was rock stable.

So I saw Office 2000 as the fixed version of Office 97. I later checked
out Office XP and Office 2003 and I had seen no reason for me to go that
route. Although it appears that many doesn't feel this way as newer
versions of Office are still selling. Even so, I just checked out eBay
and Office 2000 is still selling and the cheapest I saw the Pro version
going for is 90 bucks.

--
Bill

Old May 13th 08, 02:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Joan Hansen

K2NNJ wrote:
Yes, but that wasn't his question.

His question was:
If I buy MS Office off the shelf can I install it on my desktop and my
laptop, or is it only allowed on one computer.

If only one computer, is there a way around it. I'm not a pirate but it
would be no use to me if I couldn't use it on both computers and I don't
want to pay for two programs.

Bob

We all assume everyone in this newsgroup has a Dell. Of course in this
newsgroup for years all kinds of computer hardware and software
questions have always been answered.

I suggest you go play on another newsgroup for a while.

Joan

"journey" wrote in message

On Mon, 12 May 2008 22:38:26 -0400, "K2NNJ"
wrote:

How is this related to Dell?

Dell sells computers. Windows computers. Microsoft makes Windows.
Microsoft also makes Office. Office runs on Dell computers. Most
people need office software. Next question ...

Old May 13th 08, 06:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

it was a rhetorical question. and in your posting about the clean1k you
made no mention of dell or that the utility had ever been supplied on a dell
resource cd. so before you criticize other people about the appropriateness
of their posts you should consider that of your own. welcome to my kill
file, hope that you enjoy your stay.

"K2NNJ" wrote in message
The clean 1k utility used to be on Dell Resource CD's. The OP makes no
reference to Dell. I at least mentioned that I have a Dell PC.

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
m...
tell us how asking "can anyone id this file ~ROFMN_00000790" or "where I
can download the clean1k utility" is related to dell and then you will
have your answer.

"K2NNJ" wrote in message
How is this related to Dell?

"S.Lewis" wrote in message

"BillW50" wrote in message
.com...
In news:ct4Wj.18012$Au2.14014@trnddc07,
Bill Ghrist typed on Mon, 12 May 2008 23:33:28 GMT:

In ,
S.Lewis typed on Mon, 12 May 2008 17:22:26 -0500:

[...]

Also, the OP might consider downloading and trying the (free) Sun
OpenOffice suite.

... OpenOffice is even less expensive (free).

You get what you pay for. :-)

--
Bill

Dear Bill.........and Bill.........

You're both right. The intent of my original mangled response was to
agree wtiht Bill (Ghrist's) response that MS Office Home and Student
would likely be the best (and least expensive) MS Office solution per
the OP's post. I was only trying to provide another option (as
unattractive as it may have been in providing Outlook).

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.......

Stew

Old May 13th 08, 10:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ogden Johnson III

"BillW50" wrote:

So I saw Office 2000 as the fixed version of Office 97. I later checked
out Office XP and Office 2003 and I had seen no reason for me to go that
route. Although it appears that many doesn't feel this way as newer
versions of Office are still selling. Even so, I just checked out eBay
and Office 2000 is still selling and the cheapest I saw the Pro version
going for is 90 bucks.

Office XP had a few neat things that I needed/have used in one of
its components or another that I use (Word, Excel, Access) that
drove me to u/g from 2000. None since have added or improved
anything I need/use. [It should be needless for me to say that I
have no intention, at my age, of jumping off the Office 2007
cliff.]

--
OJ III

Old May 13th 08, 11:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

In ,
Ogden Johnson III typed on Tue, 13 May 2008 17:11:43 -0400:
"BillW50" wrote:

So I saw Office 2000 as the fixed version of Office 97. I later
checked out Office XP and Office 2003 and I had seen no reason for
me to go that route. Although it appears that many doesn't feel this
way as newer versions of Office are still selling. Even so, I just
checked out eBay and Office 2000 is still selling and the cheapest I
saw the Pro version going for is 90 bucks.

Office XP had a few neat things that I needed/have used in one of
its components or another that I use (Word, Excel, Access) that
drove me to u/g from 2000. None since have added or improved
anything I need/use. [It should be needless for me to say that I
have no intention, at my age, of jumping off the Office 2007
cliff.]

Interesting... I like to know what some of these were. As I might
upgrade. :-D

--
Bill

Old May 14th 08, 01:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ogden Johnson III

"BillW50" wrote:

Ogden Johnson III typed:

"BillW50" wrote:

So I saw Office 2000 as the fixed version of Office 97. I later
checked out Office XP and Office 2003 and I had seen no reason for
me to go that route. Although it appears that many doesn't feel this
way as newer versions of Office are still selling. Even so, I just
checked out eBay and Office 2000 is still selling and the cheapest I
saw the Pro version going for is 90 bucks.

Office XP had a few neat things that I needed/have used in one of
its components or another that I use (Word, Excel, Access) that
drove me to u/g from 2000. None since have added or improved
anything I need/use. [It should be needless for me to say that I
have no intention, at my age, of jumping off the Office 2007
cliff.]

Interesting... I like to know what some of these were. As I might
upgrade. :-D

Concurrent with lack of interest in jumping off cliffs as one
ages is memory that isn't as good as it once was. Complicating
that is that when I bought Office XP, it was partly because we
used it at the office I was working at, and I couldn't do things
at home in Office 2K that I could at work, primarily in Access,
but I remember [the fact of them, not the detail] some arcane
things I could do at work but not at home, or kludged at home.
Going on six years after the fact (concurrent with going on 65
six years after the fact) damfino WITH they were. Heck, I
haven't touched Access in [cogitate, cogitate, cogitate] a
couple, three years, and am not doing anything in Word or Excel
that I couldn't be doing in '97 or 2K. Life tends to be both
simpler and less stressful in semi-retirement.

--
OJ III
Old May 14th 08, 02:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tony Harding

Bob Levine wrote:
K2NNJ wrote:
How is this related to Dell?

Quite a bit more related to Dell than fake designer watches, don't you
think?

Surely you aren't defending them, Bob?
Old May 14th 08, 02:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

In ,
Ogden Johnson III typed on Tue, 13 May 2008 20:30:34 -0400:
"BillW50" wrote:

Ogden Johnson III typed:

"BillW50" wrote:

[...]

Fair enough Ogden. I just needed last night to sort a list based on the
first character of each line, for example. I thought Word 2000 does this
and I think it does. But I couldn't get it to work correctly. I finally
got the results I wanted by firing up my old WordStar for DOS and two
seconds the job was done. Surprisingly 20 years later it still has some
use left. LOL

--
Bill

MS Office? Pete Dell Computers 6 April 24th 08 09:22 PM
(OT)OEM MS Office Basic and/or OEM Office XP question: S.Lewis Dell Computers 12 August 23rd 07 09:02 PM
Office Xp? JS AMD x86-64 Processors 5 April 7th 05 03:24 PM
The Office... Blue Dave Asus Motherboards 2 January 4th 04 02:58 AM
FS: Office 97 Pro OEM $40 DR Homebuilt PC's 0 November 3rd 03 07:55 PM