MS Office

Old May 12th 08, 10:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Robert243

Default MS Office

If I buy MS Office off the shelf can I install it on my desktop and my
laptop, or is it only allowed on one computer.

If only one computer, is there a way around it. I'm not a pirate but it
would be no use to me if I couldn't use it on both computers and I don't
want to pay for two programs.

Bob

Old May 12th 08, 11:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bill Ghrist

Robert243 wrote:
If I buy MS Office off the shelf can I install it on my desktop and my
laptop, or is it only allowed on one computer.

If only one computer, is there a way around it. I'm not a pirate but it
would be no use to me if I couldn't use it on both computers and I don't
want to pay for two programs.

Bob

The Home and Student version of Office 2007 is licensed for up to three
computers (not for commercial or non-profit business or government). It
has Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and One Note (not Outlook).
Old May 12th 08, 11:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

In ,
Robert243 typed on Mon, 12 May 2008 16:03:50 -0500:
If I buy MS Office off the shelf can I install it on my desktop and my
laptop, or is it only allowed on one computer.

If only one computer, is there a way around it. I'm not a pirate but
it would be no use to me if I couldn't use it on both computers and I
don't want to pay for two programs.

Bob

I don't know about current versions, but up to MS Office 2000 Pro anyway
you are allowed to install a single license on your laptop and desktop.

*** QUOTE ***

GRANT OF LICENSE. This EULA grants you the following rights:
Applications Software. You may install, use, access, display, run, or
otherwise interact with ("RUN") one copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, or any
prior version for the same operating system, on a single computer,
workstation, terminal, handheld PC, pager, "smart phone," or other
digital electronic device ("COMPUTER"). The primary user of the COMPUTER
on which the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is installed may make a second copy for
his or her exclusive use on a portable computer.

*** MORE ***

Can I make a second copy for my portable computer?

The End-User License Agreement (EULA) for many Microsoft application
software products contains the following sentence: "The primary user of
the computer on which the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is installed may make a
second copy for his or her exclusive use on a portable computer." If
your EULA contains this sentence, then, subject to the conditions
mentioned, you may make a second copy of the software. Note that you
must be the primary user of the computer on which the software is
installed. The primary user is the individual who uses the computer most
of the time it is in use. Only that individual is entitled to use the
second copy. Furthermore, the software must be installed on the local
hard disk of your computer; you are not entitled to make and use a
second copy on your portable computer if you run the primary copy of the
software from a network server. Finally, only one secondary copy may be
made; you may install this copy on more than one portable computer.

*** END ***

--
Bill

Old May 12th 08, 11:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Bill Ghrist" wrote in message
Robert243 wrote:
If I buy MS Office off the shelf can I install it on my desktop and my
laptop, or is it only allowed on one computer.

If only one computer, is there a way around it. I'm not a pirate but it
would be no use to me if I couldn't use it on both computers and I don't
want to pay for two programs.

Bob

The Home and Student version of Office 2007 is licensed for up to three
computers (not for commercial or non-profit business or government). It
has Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and One Note (not Outlook).

^^^ What he said. ^^^^

MS Office Basic has Word, Excel, and Outlook but *not* PowerPoint and is
limited to a single install.

Also, the OP might consider downloading and trying the (free) Sun OpenOffice
suite.

Old May 13th 08, 12:33 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bill Ghrist

Robert243 wrote:
If I buy MS Office off the shelf can I install it on my desktop and my
laptop, or is it only allowed on one computer.

If only one computer, is there a way around it. I'm not a pirate but it
would be no use to me if I couldn't use it on both computers and I don't
want to pay for two programs.

Bob

The Home and Student version of Office 2007 is licensed for up to three
computers (not for commercial or non-profit business or government). It
has Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and One Note (not Outlook).

^^^ What he said. ^^^^

MS Office Basic has Word, Excel, and Outlook but *not* PowerPoint and is
limited to a single install.

Also, the OP might consider downloading and trying the (free) Sun OpenOffice
suite.

I appears to me from Microsoft and vendor sites that Office Basic is
only available as an OEM license. Since the OP is apparently looking
for a legal install, this would only apply if he is building his own
system. Assuming that the OP is looking at this for home or school use,
not business, the Home and Student version is not only the only one (I'm
pretty sure) that permits multiple (3) installs, it is also by far the
least expensive (at newegg: Home and Student: $110, Basic (OEM, no
media): $150, Standard: $325). Of course, it does not have Outlook, if
that is important, and of course, OpenOffice is even less expensive (free).
Old May 13th 08, 01:49 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

In news:ct4Wj.18012$Au2.14014@trnddc07,
Bill Ghrist typed on Mon, 12 May 2008 23:33:28 GMT:

In ,
S.Lewis typed on Mon, 12 May 2008 17:22:26 -0500:

[...]

Also, the OP might consider downloading and trying the (free) Sun
OpenOffice suite.

... OpenOffice is even less expensive (free).

You get what you pay for. :-)

--
Bill
Old May 13th 08, 02:23 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"BillW50" wrote in message
.com...
In news:ct4Wj.18012$Au2.14014@trnddc07,
Bill Ghrist typed on Mon, 12 May 2008 23:33:28 GMT:

In ,
S.Lewis typed on Mon, 12 May 2008 17:22:26 -0500:

[...]

Also, the OP might consider downloading and trying the (free) Sun
OpenOffice suite.

... OpenOffice is even less expensive (free).

You get what you pay for. :-)

--
Bill

Dear Bill.........and Bill.........

You're both right. The intent of my original mangled response was to agree
wtiht Bill (Ghrist's) response that MS Office Home and Student would likely
be the best (and least expensive) MS Office solution per the OP's post. I
was only trying to provide another option (as unattractive as it may have
been in providing Outlook).

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.......

Stew

Old May 13th 08, 03:59 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

"BillW50" wrote in message
.com...
In news:ct4Wj.18012$Au2.14014@trnddc07,
Bill Ghrist typed on Mon, 12 May 2008 23:33:28 GMT:

In ,
S.Lewis typed on Mon, 12 May 2008 17:22:26 -0500:

[...]

Also, the OP might consider downloading and trying the (free) Sun
OpenOffice suite.

... OpenOffice is even less expensive (free).

You get what you pay for. :-)

--
Bill

since openoffice is free you of course get more than you pay for. and it is
an excellent suite. sad that so many feel compelled to pay hundreds of
dollars to type a letter and pathetic that others pirate it when there are
perfectly good free alternatives.

to the op, afaik the retail packages of office are good for a single
installation only. you have to activate the software over the internet or
phone using the very long product code (serial number). the second time you
try to activate an installation you will be forced to call and speak to a
person to activate. the third time they will refuse activation altogether
and ask you for personal information with a promise to get back to you
(which completely contradicts their stated policy about how activation
requires no user identifiable data). i know this because of a miserable
hardware problem that required multiple reinstalls on the same computer in a
single day... however, if you wait long enough (several months or a year?)
you are able to once again activate via the internet.

afaik... the home and student edition will effortlessly and legitimately
install on up to three machines and is available for non commercial 'home'
use afaik. but it lacks outlook, access, and publisher. there is a
academic editions of office professional that also install effortlessly and
legitimately on up to three machines and includes all of the office suite of
applications and is legitimate for you to purchase if someone in your
household is a student. i seem to recall that even a kid in grade school
qualifies as a student. but it is not intended for commercial use and the
meta data stored with each document states that it was produced by an
academic edition.

good luck.

Old May 13th 08, 04:00 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

"S.Lewis" wrote in message

"BillW50" wrote in message
.com...
[...]

K2NNJ typed on Mon, 12 May 2008 22:38:26 -0400:
How is this related to Dell?

Lots actually. Why do you ask? Got something against Dell computers
running MS Office (which comes on some Dell computers), OpenOffice,
StarOffice, etc? If you feel running such software voids your warrantee
or is somehow illegal on your Dell, please tell. ;-)

--
Bill

MS Office? Pete Dell Computers 6 April 24th 08 09:22 PM
(OT)OEM MS Office Basic and/or OEM Office XP question: S.Lewis Dell Computers 12 August 23rd 07 09:02 PM
Office Xp? JS AMD x86-64 Processors 5 April 7th 05 03:24 PM
The Office... Blue Dave Asus Motherboards 2 January 4th 04 02:58 AM
FS: Office 97 Pro OEM $40 DR Homebuilt PC's 0 November 3rd 03 07:55 PM