Is it worth it?

Old June 27th 07, 01:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
AlphaOmega[_2_]

Default Is it worth it?

Ok, 5th try at responding.....When I start the computer it stalls at
the Windows XP screen. I have to restart the computer many times to
get past this. I cant get the applications and drivers disc to work, I
follow the instructions but the computer boots normally. I cant get my
Belkin wireless to work, The software installs but it wont work. And
plugging in an ethernet cable wont work either. And I have no sound.
Two weeks ago the sound card was working fine, now all I get are
computer beeps.

Old June 27th 07, 01:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

If the computer stalls often at the XP splash screen, but eventually boots up,
this is probably a sign that something is not quite right with the motherboard.
It could also be a hard drive failing slowly.

At this point, I recommend doing two things, one of which might pinpoint the
problem.

First, download and run MEMTEST-86 or MEMTEST-86+, the best and completely free
memory diagnostics available. If MEMTEST shows even one error while running for
a couple of hours, either the computer memory is defective or possibly there is
a motherboard problem.

Next, determine the manufacturer of the hard drive, then download and run the
manufacturer's diagnostics to determine the health of the drive. If the drive
is bad, it needs to be replaced.

The rest of the problems may be due to software driver issues. As a rule when
reinstalling Windows, install the motherboard chipset drivers as absolutely the
first drivers immediately after the Windows install completes. Then install
video, network, audio, and any other drivers. If you don't install the chipset
drivers first, none of the others are likely to work properly.

If the system is under warranty from Gateway, ask them to fix it. If not, your
next step is a real crap shoot. Gateway charges large amounts of money for out
of warranty repairs and local computer shops or service providers are sometimes
gun shy of servicing name brands. If you are near ZIP 01451, I tackle any
repair of any brand of computer with a very high degree of success... Ben Myers

what's it worth. Alpha Acer Computers 0 February 14th 06 09:50 AM
How much is this worth?? snert Dell Computers 13 July 18th 05 11:07 PM
Is 4GB RAM worth it? Joseph Bradford Dell Computers 8 May 20th 05 06:45 AM
What is this worth MB_ Dell Computers 10 February 15th 05 05:21 PM
For what its worth NuT CrAcKeR Overclocking AMD Processors 7 March 8th 04 02:20 PM