Do they sell socket 478 ATX mobos anymore?

Old January 5th 07, 12:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
aloof

Default Do they sell socket 478 ATX mobos anymore?

I ended up frying an Abit IC7-G a week or so ago when installing a
power supply. Now I've been searching for a replacement motherboard and
can't find anything out there except for one at emackstudios which
looks a bit questionable to be honest. I see a couple IC7-G's on ebay
too and I'll try for them but I'm surprised to not see any stores (e.g.
newegg, tigerdirect, etc.) sell anymore except for microatx versions.

My questions a
- Can someone confirm for me what other parts I'd have to replace if I
ended up going with a MicroATX model? I'm sure the case has to change
and guessing the power supply but is that my best option?
- Does anyone have any online stores they'd recommend that still might
have some compatible boards available?
- Are there any other boards types I should be looking for that would
work that maybe aren't socket 478? I'm guessing not, but worth asking
as I'm not all that experienced on the hardware side.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance all.

Old January 5th 07, 01:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dave

"aloof" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You won't need to change your power supply OR your case. At worst, you
might need to relocate a couple of standoffs in your current case to match
the mounting holes in your new motherboard, if it is micro-atx format. Try
the biostar board above. I first bought one to replace (ironically) a
full-size ATX board which was destroyed by a power supply failure. I liked
the replacement motherboard so much that I built a couple more budget
systems around it. It is fast, cheap and rock-solid stable. Great
replacement for an older socket 478 system that needs a new
ainboard! -Dave

Old January 5th 07, 01:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

aloof wrote:
[...]

A MicroATX will fit in a full sized ATX case. You don't have to do anything,
or lift a finger. The PSU will be fine and everything. (You will have to
replace the I/O cover on the back of the computer, but that is not a big
deal, and you'd do that with any replacement motherboard.)

*******
I see this DFI board on Newegg, but I've never heard of it before.

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggIma...136-026-04.JPG

Full sized, but pretty basic board ($80).

It appears to be out of stock on Newegg, but I found another web site he

http://www.atacom.com/program/print_html_new.cgi?Pagecode=1|MB47&Item_code=MB47_ DFIX_85_BL&USER_ID=www

Good luck,
Paul
Old January 5th 07, 02:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
mraloof

Thanks so much all. You were all very helpful and I just placed an
order for a new board. Thanks again, really appreciate the quick and
detailed responses.