Truelife screen glare solution?

Old November 22nd 06, 12:12 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

Default Truelife screen glare solution?

On 12 Nov 2006 12:44:01 -0800, "georgie" wrote:

Has anyone found an after-market product to cut down the
reflections/glare on a Truelife screen? Years ago I got something to
fit a CRT monitor but haven't been able to find anything for the
Inspiron E1505/6400. I wonder why Dell is even pushing these awful
screens...can't seem to get a deal without having to accept the
Truelife "upgrade". Yuck.

georgie

I like the Truelife screens, however there have been many occasions in
which I had to tilt the screen at an angle so that there wouldn't be
the glare.

I had the Inspiron 6000 without Truelife and the screen was abysmal.
Old November 22nd 06, 03:03 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry Watzman

Actually, they have had $750 off $1,500 on a few occasions. Usually,
XPS is excluded. And those deals may show up. There is an absolute
dearth of deals right now, it's the worst it's been in 6 months. But I
have a feeling that all hell is about to break loose in about 48 hours.

journey wrote:
On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 00:52:41 -0000, lid (1505 buyer)
wrote:

I'm pretty much sold on the E1505... you guys mention coupons for X%
off $Y...where can I find these things? I might as well wait until
one of those come available before purchasing. Also, do laptop prices
typically drop the closer one gets to Christmas? I really should order
mine by Dec 3 the latest....

In the past there were $750 off $1,999 or more. I would only buy when
I could find one of those coupons. I haven't seen them for a while.
Next year after Vista is out and stable, I'd like to get the 12" XPS
laptop, but the XPS's have coupons far less frequently and for a lot
less than the non XPS laptops.

Here is a great link to coupon info:

http://www.couponmountain.com/Dell-coupons-deals.html

In the past I found it always up to date and accurate.

Happy buying...

Old November 23rd 06, 05:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
1505 buyer

"All hell's about to break loose." I hope so! It's weird,
"journey" replied to my posting, yet, the first I've seen
of that posting was in your (Watzman's) reply to Journey.... strange.

Anyway, thanks all! Any recomms on a good laser printer? I still have
my ole HP6L, an antique by now but still works great. Only trouble is
I can't print from my wife's Mac... so need another one, but i refuse
to buy something that is going to make me purchase new ink cartridges
every 5 minutes... like all those non-laser printers. I'm used to
buying a new cartridge every 5 or so years....

The [affordable] Dell printers aren't exciting me....

Old November 23rd 06, 05:40 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

To print without any difficulty whatsoever from Mac, PC, Linux or UNIX, get a
laser printer with built-in PostScript and a network card. I use an old HP
LaserJet 5M, standing taller than the 6L and taking up more space. The
follow-on LaserJet 4000-series are great, too.

I cannot recommend any of the newer small and cheap laser printers. Toner
cartridges are too small. Feeding one of them is not much different for the
pocketbook than an inkjet is. Only difference is that laser toner does not dry
out and clug ink nozzles... Ben Myers

Old November 24th 06, 12:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
1505 buyer

"built-in PostScript and Network card"--noted. Won't look
for anything but. Thanks a million. Also thanks for the comment about
the new smaller lasers, b/c I certainly would have leaned toward
those... but not anymore! This list is awesome! This is my first time
on a list...can't believe how useful it is. W/o comments from folks
with some knowledge and experience with certain products, it's like a
stab in the dark buying this stuff.... So thanks again....

Old November 24th 06, 01:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

I did not explain why.

With any Apple operating system, PostScript printing is the de facto standard.
You can always find printer drivers for any PostScript printer, if not from the
original manufacturer, then from the Adobe web site (assuming that the
PostScript firmware is licensed from Adobe). You cannot depend on a printer
manufacturer providing a printer driver for whichever Mac OS you are using, if
the printer is not a PostScript one, e.g. using HP's PCL (Printer Control
Language) instead.

An Ethernet card in a printer is very nice because it allows you to leave the
printer powered up 24/7 (with power saving standby capabilities) and not ever
have to worry about powering up a computer to which the printer is attached.
That way, people using various computers get absolutely worry-free use of the
printer, independent from any other computer. The printer plugs into a network
hub or router the same way any computer does, with a Category 5 or 6 Ethernet
cable. For best trouble-free use, assign a fixed IP address to any networked
printer... Ben Myers