A dying Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500 GB SATA HDD?

Old November 27th 11, 06:57 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.hdd
Rod Speed

Default A dying Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500 GB SATA HDD?

Ant wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Just a small update. I have not seen any more HDD disconnections
and no new SMART errors since I last posted with results. Things
are calmed for now?

Thats not that unusual when you see a burst of reallocated sectors show up.

It can be something as basic as you not using the section of the
platter thats a problem because the problem is actually with the
flexible connection to the heads that is only defective in some
head positions etc.

Its completely academic what the problem is, the drive is dying.

OK. How long does this dying until death last?

Impossible to say. It can be hours or months.

Hmm, I hope it's long enough for me to replace it.

At least copy off the most important data thats irreplaceable right now.

Do I assume the symptoms I had will get worse and more frequent?

Not necessarily. If its a crack in the flexible connection to the heads, like with any intermittent fault, it can go
away for quite a while etc.

Is that a cable crack or something?

Yeah, tho its not a cable in the usual sense, its a flexible printed circuit board usually.

Hence, the quietness. In fact, I am not trying not to use that dying HDD.

Ugh, what a bad timing with the higher prices of HDDs

Yep. But that doesnt matter if its a warranty claim.

True, but they RMAing doesn't keep data so I will still need to back up my datas.

You should have had it backed up even before it failed with modern drives so cheap now.

Modern drives aren't cheap now. :P

Still dirt cheap. So cheap that I buy new 2TB drives for the
PVR instead of bothering to work out what I wont be watching.

I do have an external HDD but that's only 320 GB.

How much of the data on the failing drive is irreplaceable ?

and SSDs are still costly for big sizes (just bought a 115 GB for
my new Linux/Debian box). I am going to need find a new/
refurbished 7200 RPM SATA 500 GB or bigger SSD (does it work well in XP Pro. SP3?)/HDD too that isn't so
expensive.

You dont really need a 7200 RPM HDD, 5400 RPM is fine with the latest HDDs.

Even for video stuff?

Yep, my latest PVR can record all the TV broadcast simultaneously
and records that fine with a 5400 rpm drive and can play it back as
well and do other stuff as well fine.

Oh nice. Is that a computer

Yes.

or a true PVR/DVR?

Its a true PVR/DVR that I have assembled myself and its a
normal computer with a 4 channel digital capture card added.

I guess I won't need 7200 RPM then. I assume you do HD videos too?

Yep.

I have two HDTV tuner cards. Basically, my workstation also acts like a HTPC/media center.

Yeah, me too, much more flexible than the dedicated PVR/DVRs.

I do other things like gaming.

The only gaming I am into is Freecell Pro which I play when watching recorded
TV and listening to downloaded audio from our nation radio broadcaster.

I was planning to continue to have a separate PVR computer but it performs
so well with the i5 quad core cpu that I wont bother to duplicate it for the main
computer for everything else now, I'd do everything on the one PC again.

Old November 27th 11, 07:03 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
8732

Arno wrote:
Ant wrote:
On 11/26/2011 5:53 PM PT, Rod Speed typed:

Is my HDD really dying

Yep. 24 reallocated sectors means its got a problem and is dying.

You cant get that any other way.

As so often, that is BS.

Your mindless silly line about just one sector that cant be written to
because of some purported problem with an index track in spades.

You dont have a shred of evidence to substantiate that pathetic little drug crazed fantasy.

I had a Maxtor once with 150 defects that worked
fine for another 3 years until it was decomissioned.

All that proves is that it was an intermittent fault that didnt show up again in those 3 years.

Or it got severely over temped and thats what produced the 150 defects.

We know from the SMART data that his drive hasnt had that happen to it.

24 could be normal for a drive that age.

Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed fantasys.

The question is whether they get more over time.

We already know that they have, thats what produced the visible symptom, fool..

Alright. I just need to find a low cost drive that is big enough.
Dang Thailand's floods!

FYI, no new incidents so far.

Old November 27th 11, 07:05 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Ant wrote
Arno wrote

Is my HDD really dying

Yep. 24 reallocated sectors means its got a problem and is dying.

You cant get that any other way.

As so often, that is BS. I had a Maxtor once with 150 defects
that worked fine for another 3 years until it was decomissioned.
24 could be normal for a drive that age.

The question is whether they get more over time.

Hmm. So, last night's incident was just a hiccup?

Nope, thats when it got more over time.

I still haven't seen any more incidents...

Because you are deliberately not using the drive.

Old November 27th 11, 07:34 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant[_3_]

On 11/26/2011 10:05 PM PT, Rod Speed typed:

The question is whether they get more over time.

Hmm. So, last night's incident was just a hiccup?

Nope, thats when it got more over time.

Hmm, I wonder if the random and rare hard PC lock ups were caused by
this dying HDD. Is that possible?

I still haven't seen any more incidents...

Because you are deliberately not using the drive.

Well, XP does use it sometimes like using its $MFT. :P I do have some
programs on there too. In fact, I used one this morning (mostly
downloading a streaming video file) during a two hours GSmartControl
full test.
--
"The great companies did not know that the line between hunger and anger
is a thin line. And money that might have gone to wages went for gas,
Old November 27th 11, 09:28 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Ant wrote
Rod Speed wrote

The question is whether they get more over time.

Hmm. So, last night's incident was just a hiccup?

Nope, thats when it got more over time.

Hmm, I wonder if the random and rare hard PC lock ups were caused by this dying HDD. Is that possible?

Yep. It may look like a lockup when in fact its just retrying on a bad sector.

I still haven't seen any more incidents...

Because you are deliberately not using the drive.

Well, XP does use it sometimes like using its $MFT. :P I do have some
programs on there too. In fact, I used one this morning (mostly downloading a streaming video file) during a two hours
GSmartControl full test.

Sure but thats a lot less than you normally use it and may have
been using part of the drive where the problem isnt visible.

Old November 27th 11, 10:52 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant[_3_]

On 11/27/2011 12:28 AM PT, Rod Speed typed:

Ant wrote
Rod Speed wrote

The question is whether they get more over time.

Hmm. So, last night's incident was just a hiccup?

Nope, thats when it got more over time.

Hmm, I wonder if the random and rare hard PC lock ups were caused by this dying HDD. Is that possible?

Yep. It may look like a lockup when in fact its just retrying on a bad sector.

Hard lock ups that last forever with stuck audio?

I still haven't seen any more incidents...

Because you are deliberately not using the drive.

Well, XP does use it sometimes like using its $MFT. :P I do have some
programs on there too. In fact, I used one this morning (mostly downloading a streaming video file) during a two hours
GSmartControl full test.

Sure but thats a lot less than you normally use it and may have
been using part of the drive where the problem isnt visible.

Hmm.
--
"The ambitious one makes friends with the elephant, then tramples upon
the ant." --Indian
Old November 27th 11, 04:06 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

8732 wrote:
Arno wrote:
Ant wrote:
On 11/26/2011 5:53 PM PT, Rod Speed typed:

Is my HDD really dying

Yep. 24 reallocated sectors means its got a problem and is dying.

You cant get that any other way.

As so often, that is BS.

Your mindless silly line about just one sector that cant be written to
because of some purported problem with an index track in spades.

You dont have a shred of evidence to substantiate that pathetic little drug crazed fantasy.

Apparently you cannot read. Or you have not looked at the
error-log that is part of the SMART data. Either one would
be consistent with your demonstrated incompetence.

I had a Maxtor once with 150 defects that worked
fine for another 3 years until it was decomissioned.

All that proves is that it was an intermittent fault that didnt show up again in those 3 years.

Or it got severely over temped and thats what produced the 150 defects.

We know from the SMART data that his drive hasnt had that happen to it.

All wrong. Not a surprise given your track record.

24 could be normal for a drive that age.

Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed fantasys.

The question is whether they get more over time.

We already know that they have, thats what produced the visible symptom, fool..

Aborted writes do not produce reallocated sectors. If they did,
they would not be aborted. But I guess that is logic beyond
your grasp.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
----
Old November 27th 11, 07:14 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
8732

Some drug crazed posturing ****wit claiming to be Arno
deperately attempted to bull**** its way out of its predicament
and fooled absolutely no one at all, as always.

Cant even manage to fool that other fool Zabkar.

Old November 27th 11, 07:16 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Ant wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Ant wrote
Rod Speed wrote

The question is whether they get more over time.

Hmm. So, last night's incident was just a hiccup?

Nope, thats when it got more over time.

Hmm, I wonder if the random and rare hard PC lock ups were caused by this dying HDD. Is that possible?

Yep. It may look like a lockup when in fact its just retrying on a bad sector.

Hard lock ups that last forever with stuck audio?

How did you decide it lasted forever ?

Old November 27th 11, 08:00 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant[_3_]

On 11/27/2011 10:16 AM PT, Rod Speed typed:

The question is whether they get more over time.
Hmm. So, last night's incident was just a hiccup?
Nope, thats when it got more over time.
Hmm, I wonder if the random and rare hard PC lock ups were caused by this dying HDD. Is that possible?
Yep. It may look like a lockup when in fact its just retrying on a bad sector.

Hard lock ups that last forever with stuck audio?

How did you decide it lasted forever ?

Because I have had lock ups that started when I was sleeping and saw the
time/clock. It was a few hours long. So I had to use the reset button.
Holding down power button is weird because it turns off PC and its fans,
but leaves my power light on in the front case.

I still haven't seen any more incidents...
Because you are deliberately not using the drive.
Well, XP does use it sometimes like using its $MFT. :P I do have some programs on there too. In fact, I used one
this morning (mostly downloading a streaming video file) during a two hours GSmartControl full test.
Sure but thats a lot less than you normally use it and may have
been using part of the drive where the problem isnt visible.

Hmm.

So far, no new incidents. I even dared to play a HD MPEG-2 video file
and install a small program. I might have found a retail new SATA
Seagate 5900 RPM 2 TB HDD. I hope I can grab and use it today to replace
this dying one before it is too late.
--
"... Let's go pour these (peas from a can) onto an anthill I've found."
--Strong Bad (Witness the Cheatar! episode)