PC base unit with XP home for under £200.00 inc. VAT and delivery ...

Old January 30th 05, 12:25 AM
NDB

Default PC base unit with XP home for under £200.00 inc. VAT and delivery ...

Does anyone know where I can get something like this please?

Many thanks.

--
NDB.

(Remove [nospam] from e-mail address when corresponding by e-mail)

Old January 30th 05, 12:34 AM
Andrew Ratcliffe

"NDB" wrote in message
. ..
Does anyone know where I can get something like this please?

Many thanks.

http://tinyurl.com/3pd6m

Change the support option to 1 year collect and return, and it's yours for
£184

Old January 30th 05, 12:34 AM
Chris

"NDB" wrote in message
. ..
Does anyone know where I can get something like this please?

Many thanks.

--
NDB.

(Remove [nospam] from e-mail address when corresponding by e-mail)

From http://hotukdeals.com/
Dell Dimension 3000 with a 17" CRT monitor for only £186.92 including VAT
and delivery.

Specs:
2.6GHz Celeron 533FSB
256mb DDR RAM
CDRW/DVD drive
40GB hdd
Windows XP
17" CRT Monitor

HTH

Chris D.

Old January 30th 05, 12:37 AM
Chris

from an earlier post:

http://commerce.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config/frameset.asp?s=ukpad&l=en&m=gbp&c=622&n=1675&cu=uk pad&v=d&cc=&ogn=&kcd=&ad=&mc=&rs=&cuid=&cg=&pch=1& demo=&gc=&sbc=ukpad&co=&b=54005'

. ..

Old January 30th 05, 11:25 AM
CJY

I too am looking for such a PC and have reviewed the details from the links
posted here. Can anyone confirm whether you can add a second hard drive into
the base unit of these Dell 2400c or 3000 PCs?

Also, they both seem to have 3 PCI slots; how many of these are free? (I
assume the modem takes up one if included?)

The 3000 looks a better buy in terms of what's included e.g. CDRW/DVD combo
instead of CDROM. Any pitfalls on the 3000 that people are aware of?

Chris

. ..

Old January 30th 05, 11:34 AM
Bal

"CJY" wrote in message
I too am looking for such a PC and have reviewed the details from the links
posted here. Can anyone confirm whether you can add a second hard drive
into
the base unit of these Dell 2400c or 3000 PCs?

Also, they both seem to have 3 PCI slots; how many of these are free? (I
assume the modem takes up one if included?)

The 3000 looks a better buy in terms of what's included e.g. CDRW/DVD
combo
instead of CDROM. Any pitfalls on the 3000 that people are aware of?

Chris

Hi Chris,

the unit will come with one 5.25" and one 3.5" bay free. I'm not sure if you
would be able to use the 3.5" as that is meant for an optional floppy drive
but there is no reason why you couldn't use the 5.25" bay with some form of
rails attached to the drive. Your best bet would be to take out the 40gig
drive and stick a bigger one in it's place. There are 3 PCI slots and yes
one of these is taken up by the modem. It only comes with a CD-ROM which you
can always upgrade to a combo unit quite easily at a later stage. No
pitfalls really just don't expect miracles from what is a starter system,
will be fine for the internet and home applications such as word processing,
spreadsheets etc.

HTH

Bal

Old January 30th 05, 11:43 AM
SteveH

Bal wrote:

"CJY" wrote in message
[...]

Bloody hell, the world of Windows has gone totally crazy now if a
Celeron 2.6GHz is seen as a 'starter system', that's only useful for
internet and office work.

Where's all that processing power going?

VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - VW Passat 1.8T 20V SE - COSOC KOTL
Old January 30th 05, 11:53 AM
Colin Wilson

I too am looking for such a PC and have reviewed the details from the lin=
ks
posted here. Can anyone confirm whether you can add a second hard drive i=

nto
the base unit of these Dell 2400c or 3000 PCs?

The 2400 definitely doesn`t come with additional rails, and they make it=20
hard to to buy them. There are alternative methods of holding a drive in=20
place, although perhaps not as elegant (zip ties...) or if you google for=
=20
alt.sys.pc-clone.dell there was a link for a fixing kit for about =A312=20
IIRC a week or so ago.

Also, they both seem to have 3 PCI slots; how many of these are free? (I
assume the modem takes up one if included?)

Not sure, never needed to open it up :-}

As for pitfalls - they don`t come with an AGP or PCI-E slot, so upgrading=
=20
to turn it into a gaming machine is a non-starter.

--=20
Old January 30th 05, 12:00 PM
GB

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
I too am looking for such a PC and have reviewed the details from the
links
posted here. Can anyone confirm whether you can add a second hard drive
into
the base unit of these Dell 2400c or 3000 PCs?

The 2400 definitely doesn`t come with additional rails, and they make it
hard to to buy them. There are alternative methods of holding a drive in
place, although perhaps not as elegant (zip ties...) or if you google for
alt.sys.pc-clone.dell there was a link for a fixing kit for about £12
IIRC a week or so ago.

You can put a 3.5" drive into the spare 5.25" bay. Ebuyer sell suitable
rails for under 2 Pounds, or at least they did when I bought them.

You can't easily put *anything* into the 3.5" floppy drive bay because Dell
don't provide anything to fix the drive to and fixing kits are quite
expensive.

Old January 30th 05, 12:26 PM
NDB

"NDB" wrote in message
. ..
Does anyone know where I can get something like this please?

Many thanks.

--
NDB.

(Remove [nospam] from e-mail address when corresponding by e-mail)

Also do these machines come with WinXP Home CD or are they supplied with
some sort of restore CD?

Thanks.