making emergency boot diskette??

Old September 27th 04, 05:01 AM
MB

Default making emergency boot diskette??

I would like to have a diskette that I can use to boot my Dell Dim. 2400 in
an emergency.

PC WORLD had an article that said how to do it:

To make one, insert a blank floppy disk into drive A:, select Start, All
Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt, type format a:, and press Enter. When
asked if you want to format another disk, type n and press Enter. Type the
following commands, pressing Enter after each one.

xcopy c:\boot.ini a: /h
xcopy c:\ntdetect.com a: /h
xcopy c:\ntldr a: /h

Well, I did this but it doesn't work. When I try and boot from it, it says
non-system diskette.

Any ideas?

Mel

Old September 27th 04, 05:47 AM
Jeff Bean

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 00:01:17 -0400, "MB"
wrote:

I would like to have a diskette that I can use to boot my Dell Dim. 2400 in
an emergency.

PC WORLD had an article that said how to do it:

To make one, insert a blank floppy disk into drive A:, select Start, All
Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt, type format a:, and press Enter. When
asked if you want to format another disk, type n and press Enter. Type the
following commands, pressing Enter after each one.

xcopy c:\boot.ini a: /h
xcopy c:\ntdetect.com a: /h
xcopy c:\ntldr a: /h

Well, I did this but it doesn't work. When I try and boot from it, it says
non-system diskette.

To get a DOS startup disk, in Windows Explorer right click on the A:
drive, choose Format and check the box for "Create an MS-DOS startup
disk". This is useful for installing BIOS updates and other stuff where
you don't want Windows running.

You also can boot from your Windows XP installation CD. You may have to
enter the BIOS setup mode and change the boot priority so that it tries
to boot from the CD before it boots from the hard disk. Booting this
way is useful for doing a repair installation of Windows XP, or for
reinstalling Windows from scratch.

The instructions you gave above seem to be missing a step. You need to
get a master boot record (MBR) onto the floppy. I'm not sure how you
would go about doing that. Nor do I think the result will be terribly
useful since you will be missing the driver that allows you to access
the hard disk.

Jeff Bean
Old September 27th 04, 07:05 AM
Mistoffolees

MB wrote:
I would like to have a diskette that I can use to boot my Dell Dim. 2400 in
an emergency.

PC WORLD had an article that said how to do it:

To make one, insert a blank floppy disk into drive A:, select Start, All
Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt, type format a:, and press Enter. When
asked if you want to format another disk, type n and press Enter. Type the
following commands, pressing Enter after each one.

xcopy c:\boot.ini a: /h
xcopy c:\ntdetect.com a: /h
xcopy c:\ntldr a: /h

Well, I did this but it doesn't work. When I try and boot from it, it says
non-system diskette.

Any ideas?

Mel

The floppy diskette must first be formatted (or
re-formatted) by the computer in which the specific
Windows NT, 2000 or XP OS resides. Or, IOW, using
a diskette that had been pre-formatted or formatted
for MS-DOS or Windows 9X will not work in this case.

Old September 28th 04, 03:22 PM
MB

That did it!!! Thanks.

Mel
"Mistoffolees" wrote in message

MB wrote:
[...]

A7N8X Deluxe - at boot time it tried to boot from network Alex Hunsley Asus Motherboards 5 September 23rd 04 07:03 PM
EMERGENCY P4P800 won't boot NT server Martin Schneider Asus Motherboards 3 September 17th 04 01:05 PM
emergency boot disk MB Dell Computers 4 August 14th 04 12:18 AM
REPOST: A7V333: no longer able to access hard disks at boot time Chris Metzler Asus Motherboards 6 January 8th 04 06:29 PM
Dual Boot, How? Paul \(Erie\) General 1 June 24th 03 04:36 PM