Catalyst Control Center installation question

Old September 4th 04, 10:41 PM
Frederick Pileggi

Default Catalyst Control Center installation question

Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but do you have to have the
Control Panel installed before you install the new Catalyst Control Center?
I looked and assumed that I could uninstall the old Control Panel and just
add the Catalyst Control Center. After rebooting and clicking on the
shortcut on my desktop the Catalyst Control Center complained that no ATI
drivers were loaded. They certainly were! Been running 4.8's since mid
August. I did the upgrade to .NET Framework 1.1 prior to adding the
Catalyst Control Center. I doubt the error that ATI talks about if you
don't have 1.1 installed is what I saw.
I backed off the Catalyst Control Center and reinstalled the old Control
Panel and everything is back to normal again.
My card is an ATI 9700Pro. Been running SP2 of XP Pro for almost a week now
without incident.
_Fred

Old September 5th 04, 05:25 AM
peter

Try uninstalling the 4.8's and then reinstalling
then reinstall the Control Center
this worked for me
peter

Old September 5th 04, 02:25 PM
Phil

Why not just d/l the 40MB file, which contans everything you need: the 4.8
driver, Control Center, Catalyst Control Center.

Old September 5th 04, 04:05 PM
Frederick Pileggi

Phil_ I already was running the 4.8 drivers and matching Control Panel. I
though you ran either the legacy Control Panel "or" the new Catalyst Control
Center, but do not need both loaded to run the new Catalyst Control Center.
_Fred

Old September 5th 04, 04:23 PM
Phil

All i know is that i installed from the 40MB d/l, which had its components
listed as: 4.8 driver, control panel, and catalyst control panel.

Old September 5th 04, 08:27 PM
Frederick Pileggi

Update: Guess I was just thinking to much. With the 4.8 drivers and the
legacy Control Panel working just fine I added the Catalyst Control Center
separately and now the CCC works just fine.
_Fred

Old September 8th 04, 06:10 PM
Ed Forsythe

Control Panel must be installed.
--
Tally Ho!
Ed Forsythe

Old September 8th 04, 06:29 PM
Ed Forsythe

When I initially installed Control Center I did so with Control panel
installed and it worked, but when I tried to access the old Control Panel I
got a BSOD. I seem to recall a note indicating that CP had to be installed
so I uninstalled CC, reinstalled CP and CC. CC still worked fine but the
BSOD prevailed when I tried to access CP. I did some more homework and found
this in the FAQ;

Do I still have access to the classic control panel?
This edition of the CATALYST™ CONTROL CENTER includes the ATI classic
control panel and it is installed as part of the display driver
installation. However, the ATI classic control panel is non functional and
is only available after the uninstall of the CATALYST™ CONTROL CENTER."
--
Tally Ho!
Ed Forsythe

Old September 9th 04, 12:16 AM
Frederick Pileggi

With both the legacy ControlPanel and ATI Catalyst driver installed I was
able to install the new CCC. OK... looks nice but for me, no big deal.
Then I updated .NET Framework 1.1 to SP1. CCC again complains about ATI
drivers not being installed.... Ugh. I probably just had to reinstall the
CCC but decided to just uninstalled CCC amd my legacy Control Center was
back. Good enough for me until I have no choice.
_Fred
"Ed Forsythe" wrote in message
When I initially installed Control Center I did so with Control panel
installed and it worked, but when I tried to access the old Control Panel
I got a BSOD. I seem to recall a note indicating that CP had to be
installed so I uninstalled CC, reinstalled CP and CC. CC still worked fine
but the BSOD prevailed when I tried to access CP. I did some more homework
and found this in the FAQ;

Do I still have access to the classic control panel?
This edition of the CATALYSTT CONTROL CENTER includes the ATI classic
control panel and it is installed as part of the display driver
installation. However, the ATI classic control panel is non functional and
is only available after the uninstall of the CATALYSTT CONTROL CENTER."