trouble with Umax Astra 1200S; which scanner for beige Mac?

Old January 7th 05, 04:06 AM

Default trouble with Umax Astra 1200S; which scanner for beige Mac?

Hello everyone,

In order to scan photographs for my W3 site www.macfanaat.cistron.nl I
bought last month a Umax 1200S for my Power Mac 7100/80 AV, based on
reviews which put Agfa and Umax scanners on top. Installing the software
was problem-free.

My PM 7100's SCSI chain looks like this (without scanner):

controller (ID 7)

Quantum Fireball TM3200 (int. HD) (ID 0) (int. terminated)

Matsu****a CR-8005A (int. CD-ROM player) (ID 3)

Pioneer DR-U12X (ext. CD-ROM player) (ID 2)

Fujitsu M2512A (MO unit) (ID 5) (ext. terminated)

When I connected the scanner to the SCSI chain, however, by taking the
terminator off the MO, connecting the scanner with a SCSI cable and
putting an ext. terminator on the Umax (ID 1), I saw a sad Mac most of
the time at boot, with these lines underneath: "0000 000F" and "0000
0001". The last digit in the last line could also alternately be a 3 or
an A.

Sometimes I saw the well-known floppy with the flashing question mark,
instead of the sad Mac. When I put Apple's Disk Tools floppy in, MacOS
booted up from there. Drive Install Lite showed the Mac saw the scanner
the MO unit and both CD-ROM players but not my internal HD :-(!

Then I switched my Mac off and decoupled the Fujitsu and the Pioneer.
Then I booted, with the Umax as sole external SCSI device. This time my
Mac started without a hitch. CD-ROM Toolkit however told me my Mac saw
the scanner and my internal HD but not my internal CD-ROM player :-(!

Nevertheless, this way I could test the scanner with B/W and colour A4s.
IMO it works, as far as scanning goes, as you can expect :-).

Thus, do I now need a NuBus SCSI card for the scanner, or is there some
way all my SCSI devices can live together on one bus?

If you have any experience with Agfa or other SCSI scanners, I would be
glad to hear from you :-).

Any useful info. shall be duly appreciated on this NG. You can write
directly to me, by modifying the address in my .sig :-).

Yours sincerely,
--
-------
Seiju Teramoto macfanaat at cistron dot nl

Old January 7th 05, 06:10 PM
RSD99

Sounds like an SCSI ID conflict. What ID is the Umax 1200S trying to use?

Change the ID of your scanner so that it does not try to use the same ID as
any other device. From your list, it looks like 4 or 6 would be
appropriate.

Old January 10th 05, 12:46 AM
Tim L

Which OS are you using? With a similar setup on my beige G3, Moc OS 8.x has
no problems with two or three external devices (CD writer, Umax 610 SCSI
scanner and external drive).

However, Mac OS X is VERY much more sensitive about scsi, seemingly
objecting to both/either too long a chain, or exactly how it is terminated.

Also, my understanding about how the controller works is different. I
thought the controller was in the middle of the chanin, so it goes internal
devices, controller, external devices. The order will of course make a
difference to where the termination is placed. You seem to have it in the
middle of the chain, but I thought it should be at the end of both the
internal part of the chain and the internal part of the chain.

What are you actually using to terminate the chains, are you using separate
terminators, or switched terminators in the device.

You should use Apple System Profiler to report what devices are seen.

Finally, I did read somewhere on the web about some problems with the UMAX
scanner (sorry, can't remember where), something like it did not pass
through power for the terminator. I can't remember what the solution was,
maybe something like opening the box and rewiring the connectors, but maybe
also, if you have the UMAX on, that would get round the problem.

Hope this helps. (email me direct if you like).