Emergency, need help ... !

Old December 8th 03, 04:14 AM
Mel

Default Emergency, need help ... !

my brother's pc;

Tyan Tomcat 230t (s2507)
2 x 1ghz p3
1.5gb ram (3 x 512mb)
Ati rage 2+ video/ agp (it's mostly a server)
Adaptec 3940uw scsi
3com 905 ethernet
Smc (some kind) ethenet
CL soundblaster live (ct4760)
Win nt4.0 server

A couple of weeks ago, he took out one of the dimms and
the sb live to use in a workstation he was planning. But
he cancelled that project for budget reasons, and today
he tried to put them back in.

I guess it gave him lots of bizarre trouble and many reboots
this morning. He's not a good technician. He should know how,
but he just doesn't have the patience or the temperment to do
very well.

I went by later to check on it (he wanted me to) and it was
sitting on the NT "disk administrator" screen, with the whole
system frozen solid, no response to anything. And the reset
button didn't work either. So I powered it down, and turned
it back on after it had had a chance to cool off.

When I turned it on again, all I got was a message about
"award bootblock bios" and "please insert floppy with rom image"

My brother is furious, he blames me for all his problems and
calls me a liar.

Ok, so there's something I'm supposed to put on a floppy disk
and it probably has something to do with a bios image. What do
I put on it? and in what format?

I might only get one chance to solve this, before he goes off
the deep end.

Thanks,
the jinxed one

Old December 8th 03, 05:16 AM
Mel

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 03:53:24 UTC, "JAD" wrote:

remove the sound card remove the ram.
Reset the bios (short the jumper) power plug out.
Reboot - load system bios defaults.

Thanks Jad. It's good to know, except now it isn't an
emergency anymore. Or maybe it still is, I don't know. My
brother came by and threw the motherboard at me (literally)
The smc ethernet card too. I'll try to revive the board when
I can, maybe that will help things. I just don't have any p3
chips handy tonight.

thanks,
Jinxed Meli

Old December 8th 03, 10:42 AM
Groove

Mel said this...

Thanks Jad. It's good to know, except now it isn't an
emergency anymore. Or maybe it still is, I don't know. My
brother came by and threw the motherboard at me (literally)

Your brother has a serious attitude problem. Unless for some personal
reasons you owe him bigtime I would suggest you throw the kit straight back
at him with a suggestion about how he might best approach you to get help.

--
º~ dªv¡d ~º

Old December 8th 03, 04:32 PM
Walt

Let's see, the brother takes out the DIMM. The brother takes
out the Sound Card. The brother takes out the ethernet card.
The brother even takes out the motherboard.

Sure seems like this brother thinks of himself as quite an
expert. I mean, I can't see anyone going as far as taking out
a motherboard when they acknowledge that they don't know anything
about PC's.

I wonder if the brother even knows enough to turn off all
the power before removing hardware from within the system?
Or if the brother has even ever heard of ESD.

I would be willing to bet that either the brother burned
out something trying to pull it out while still powered, or
had an ESD "hit" against something like the DIMM.

However, when the brother breaks something, he puts all the
blame on poor Mel.

Old December 8th 03, 05:16 PM
Groove

Walt said this...

I would be willing to bet that either the brother burned
out something trying to pull it out while still powered, or
had an ESD "hit" against something like the DIMM.

However, when the brother breaks something, he puts all the
blame on poor Mel.

Seems a likely scenario to me too. And I simply don't work for people that
can't show some basic control and respect. It's a self-respect sort of
thing.

--
º~ dªv¡d ~º

Old December 9th 03, 02:57 AM
Mel

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 09:42:26 UTC, Groove wrote:

Mel said this...

Thanks Jad. It's good to know, except now it isn't an
emergency anymore. Or maybe it still is, I don't know. My
brother came by and threw the motherboard at me (literally)

Your brother has a serious attitude problem. Unless for some personal
reasons you owe him bigtime I would suggest you throw the kit straight back
at him with a suggestion about how he might best approach you to get help.

Thanks. That was good advice. I left the motherboard with him while
he wasn't home, along with a note containing Jad's advice. I don't owe
him anything. I'm just one of those people who is too nice for her own
good :-) :-( He never gets another bit of free tech service from me for
as long as he lives. (I had to duck when he threw the ethercard, it was
aimed straight at me ...)

thanks,
the computer jinx

Old December 9th 03, 03:04 AM
Justin

Thanks Jad. It's good to know, except now it isn't an
emergency anymore. Or maybe it still is, I don't know. My
brother came by and threw the motherboard at me (literally)

Unless the mobo's made by Nerf, it's not a good idea to throw it around.
Did you catch it? If he treats his stuff like that, it's no wonder his
PC's not working.

Emergency recovery Disk craigr General 0 December 11th 03 03:23 PM
Happy Birthday America SST Overclocking 333 November 27th 03 08:54 PM
Happy Birthday America SST Overclocking AMD Processors 326 November 27th 03 08:54 PM
emergency question Freewheeling Overclocking AMD Processors 2 August 8th 03 12:45 AM