Snapshot of filesystems having containing media files

Old June 20th 08, 08:19 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Chandan

Default Snapshot of filesystems having containing media files

Hi,

I have a filesystem containing many media files such as JPEG, TIFF,
AVI in the mix. Some of these files are heavily edited by users. So,
if I configure hourly snapshots on this filesystem, these files end up
consuming a lot of snapshot space. Now, if I do not configure hourly
snapshots, I am increasing the window of vulnerability for data loss
for the non media files in the filesystem.

One solution that I can think of is to move the media files over to a
new filesystem and not configure hourly snapshots on it. This will
reduce spapshot disk space consumption.

Does anyone have some other interesting way to fix this problem ?

Thanks in advance,
Chandan
Old June 21st 08, 03:21 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
nik Simpson

Chandan wrote:
Hi,

I have a filesystem containing many media files such as JPEG, TIFF,
AVI in the mix. Some of these files are heavily edited by users. So,
if I configure hourly snapshots on this filesystem, these files end up
consuming a lot of snapshot space. Now, if I do not configure hourly
snapshots, I am increasing the window of vulnerability for data loss
for the non media files in the filesystem.

One solution that I can think of is to move the media files over to a
new filesystem and not configure hourly snapshots on it. This will
reduce spapshot disk space consumption.

Does anyone have some other interesting way to fix this problem ?

Might help if you described the environment a little more, i.e. storage
vendors, whose snapshot are you using etc. Some snapshots are more
inefficient than others.

--
Nik Simpson
Old June 23rd 08, 03:47 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
belpatCA

One solution that I can think of is to move the media files over to a
new filesystem and not configure hourly snapshots on it. This will
reduce spapshot disk space consumption.

Do you have different recovery point objectives for your media and non-
media files ? If so, separating the two types into their own file
system on their own volume
sounds like a fine first step.
But if the non-media files are dependent on the media files (e.g. web
pages contain urls to the jpegs), restoring to two different points in
time might not be possible.
Old June 24th 08, 06:30 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Chandan

On Jun 20, 7:21 pm, nik Simpson wrote:
Chandan wrote:
Hi,

I have a filesystem containing many media files such as JPEG, TIFF,
AVI in the mix. Some of these files are heavily edited by users. So,
if I configure hourly snapshots on this filesystem, these files end up
consuming a lot of snapshot space. Now, if I do not configure hourly
snapshots, I am increasing the window of vulnerability for data loss
for the non media files in the filesystem.

One solution that I can think of is to move the media files over to a
new filesystem and not configure hourly snapshots on it. This will
reduce spapshot disk space consumption.

Does anyone have some other interesting way to fix this problem ?

Might help if you described the environment a little more, i.e. storage
vendors, whose snapshot are you using etc. Some snapshots are more
inefficient than others.

I am using NetApp.

--
Nik Simpson